CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i agree actually.

Tunajoe

Tunajoe

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of ti-bases at all. I think if you're going to go through that much trouble, you might as well make a custom titanium abutment then throw anything you want on it. Feel free to disagree, I'm curious what you all say.

Is it because it's a bunch of work to fab a Ti zirconia abutment or are you concerned about failure?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of ti-bases at all. I think if you're going to go through that much trouble, you might as well make a custom titanium abutment then throw anything you want on it. Feel free to disagree, I'm curious what you all say.
I actually like using ti-bases. No trouble at all.. I think they can be pretty easy to design and use, plus fits to the tops can be more precise and accurate if they're milled properly. And with all the angled screw channel offerings you can easily make most things screw retained. Of course if the placement is really out whack there's no choice but to do a custom abt + cemented crown....

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Is it because it's a bunch of work to fab a Ti zirconia abutment or are you concerned about failure?
To be honest, I don't know of current studies where they compared ti-bases to custom titanium abutments and the longevity. Would be interesting but yes, if you're going through that much work to fabricate a t-base, then my thought is make an abutment that you know wont separate at the ti-bases and zirconium. Ti-bases just seem so unsupported to me but we all have our quirks and yes I still do ti-bases, just my take for what it's worth.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I use a custom abutment with an access hole on occlusion, may cost more but I sleep better at night, and some dentists asking for this also

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
I use a lot of Ti bases. I like how I can do angled screw channels, and if its a higher end anterior where we're going to do cement retained, I like the control, and I know Drs like the appearance of seating an abut that looks like a nice, proper colored tooth prep.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I want a longer internal wall than most ti bases can provide but this is primarily for bone levels.
I see my share of tissue levels where the platform is supra gingival and the ti bases are better for this .
Sometimes I can't drop a margin past the default .

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
As long as you're comfortable with it. Personally I see it as trying to put too much tooth on a short clinical crown in some cases and it makes me nervous.

Like all our stuff. One size doesn't fit all situations.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I use Atlantis' custom base for all my single unit hybrid restorations. The only good solution for screw retained zirconia bridges is a non-engaging ti base.

K

K M

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on Open Implants attempt to address the short length of most Ti Bases?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on Open Implants attempt to address the short length of most Ti Bases?
Open Implants has a pretty good system, you can customize the height at ( 4,5,6,8,10mm's) I have used them a lot when I need a tall chimney. I also like the conical design of their multi-unit ti-base which helps a lot to passively seat hybrids when cementing the ti-base

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Can someone walk me thru the process for fabrication of this?
Not really talking about the design aspects but more along the line of what to do after the zirc coping is milled.
I'll be using preshaded AG pucks. Assuming that since the abutment will be more of a stumpf shade I'll be using darker colored puck like A4.
I've purchased Panavia 5 to cement the zirconia to the Ti base.
Lastly, which collar height on the Ti bases are most popular? You find you use the .5mm one the most? I know every case varies but really Looking for general experiences so I know which collar size I should stock.

Thanks!
It depends on where the oral surgeon placed the implant. Most of mine are custom trimmed by me . Last week I had a case where the implant is flush with the patient gum line. I took the stock abutment with the least color hight and trimmed it to nothing. When I finished the crown no metal was showing at all.