Thoughts on overseas outsourcing?

9milli

Reaction score
1500 a month? Is this Dr Dandy?
No, we are not in the US … we are just having some issues with staffing vacancies locally since the pandemic started, and had the idea recently to try to outsource some of the digital work . When I searched the web, this thread came up so I thought I’d start with asking people who’ve already been there and done that 🙂

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Our Drs try to shop our prices against offshore milling centers. Three sides of the dental triangle…price-time-quality…never the 3 shall meet.
Guys....my mechanic bills $140/hr. Driveway Cleaner $125. Gutter Cleaner $175. Yard Man $100

If your not turning these numbers, its time to get out and give them what they deserve....Nothing

Affinity

Affinity

Reaction score
mechanic > dental tech .. gutter cleaner also.

R

Race

Reaction score
I have experience outsourcing overseas in the past and I am happy to talk with you. What most people are unwilling to admit is that crowns are commodities and like every commodity, they are eventually mass-produced elsewhere. It has been reported that today over 50% of every crown placed in the US is outsourced in one way or another. That proves that Doctors DO care about price and those smart enough to run their practice like a business will seek the most competitive pricing available. We all know that doctors will change labs at the same rate as they do underwear and it's only a matter of time until the max price a doctor will be willing to pay for a very good high-quality crown is under $50 then $40 and then $30 and eventually, no US lab will be able to compete and make any money. It's not emotional, patriotism, loyalty, the quality of the material, or the craftsmanship of the product..... it's math! 90% of the cost of a crown is labor. You can specify the exact same materials used anywhere in the US and then, the only difference is the cost of the person doing the work. This is the same reason that the vast majority of electronics, automobiles in fact everything you can see or touch in the room you're in right now is made elsewhere.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I have experience outsourcing overseas in the past and I am happy to talk with you. What most people are unwilling to admit is that crowns are commodities and like every commodity, they are eventually mass-produced elsewhere. It has been reported that today over 50% of every crown placed in the US is outsourced in one way or another. That proves that Doctors DO care about price and those smart enough to run their practice like a business will seek the most competitive pricing available. We all know that doctors will change labs at the same rate as they do underwear and it's only a matter of time until the max price a doctor will be willing to pay for a very good high-quality crown is under $50 then $40 and then $30 and eventually, no US lab will be able to compete and make any money. It's not emotional, patriotism, loyalty, the quality of the material, or the craftsmanship of the product..... it's math! 90% of the cost of a crown is labor. You can specify the exact same materials used anywhere in the US and then, the only difference is the cost of the person doing the work. This is the same reason that the vast majority of electronics, automobiles in fact everything you can see or touch in the room you're in right now is made elsewhere.
Like i said.... Let them call Vietnam for answers. Don't compete, do something else. In 5 years you'll be glad you did.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
This is the time you have to stand your ground. There is no more "some money is better than no money". You act weak, you'll be treated weak. There hasn't been a better time than now to grow your business or start a new one.

You let cheap asses control your prices, what kind of business have you really got.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Those are the Dr.'s you don't want to go to. Crowns are custom, the labour is the difference between quality and garbage. US labs will always be able to compete, it's only the labs that throw quality out the window trying to compete with the unreasonably low prices that won't be able to compete