Thoughts about TRI Matrix. First abutmentless implant system

leonlazic

leonlazic

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
We have recently fallen into a discussion about TRI implants in another thread so I wanted to make a dedicated one not to get too off topic there.
I would like to ask if you have any experiences with the TRI matrix system. I just recently learned about it and the concept looks super interesting to me. I haven't done any cases with with it since currently there aren't even any implantologists in Slovenia who place them. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences be it positive or negative.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Definitely not 'abutmentless' .. definitely nothing new, looks just like nobels all zirconia implants. A fad that will never take off. Thats just my thoughts from looking at the website.. Ive never used one

leonlazic

leonlazic

Reaction score
Definitely not 'abutmentless' .. definitely nothing new, looks just like nobels all zirconia implants. A fad that will never take off. Thats just my thoughts from looking at the website.. Ive never used one
Well it is two piece. It is screw retained. But it's abutmentless in the sence of no Ti-bases or anything machined in advanced. No matter what material you make your restoration from zirconia, PMMA, metal you mill the implant interface. That is what they mean by abutmentless.

leonlazic

leonlazic

Reaction score
The fracture risk of these type of abutments is way to high.
That was my first thought as well. It didn't go well with other implant systems in the past. But reading their tests from Daniel Edelhof has quite convinced me that their titan-zirconia first interface design is quite well thought trough.

Attachments

• 2021-10-Whitepaper_Uni Munich Results_FINAL.pdf
    335.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021-11-Whitepaper_Uni Zurich Results_FINAL.pdf
    763 KB · Views: 7
npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
The problem is at the end of the day, no seasoned lab tech is going to care about a research paper on something that their real world experience says will fail every time. At this point we know that if you thin zirconia out that much and use a screw to snug it down it will fracture far too many times to make the advantages worth it. Maybe it could be made to work with a large 5-6mm + diameter implant utilizing all that space to increase the thickness of zirconia, but no implant system can survive offering only massive implants

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just because something exists, doesnt mean its better. Just because you own a mill doesnt mean you can mill this interface accurately. The abutment is the crown, dont fall for marketing. Cementing a crown on a $35 ti base is easy. Zirconia shouldnt go in an implant.. its like a coke bottle stuck in a pipe, the glass will eventually break if loaded.
If youve ever done one of the nobel pearl implants its the same, except they wont allow you to mill the interface. In fact most manufacturers dont just give away their interface geometry because labs dont have the CAM or mill to accurately mill the interface.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I used to use zirconia abutments in the anterior for esthetic reasons. I never do now. It's not worth the fracture risk when you can get a Ti abutment and anodize it. The thought of restoring posteriors with a zirconia interface into the abutment isn't something I would want to put my name on right now. What's the benefit of this? Saving money on an abutment? Ti abutments allow for a narrower emergence profile coming out of the implant and then a natural emergence where the junction is with the crown. With zirconia, the abutment/crown has to be thicker under the tissue to maintain strength which also makes it harder for the dentist to deliver in some cases.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
In fact most manufacturers dont just give away their interface geometry because labs dont have the CAM or mill to accurately mill the interface.
Yeah, this is where it really goes off the rails. Taking a concept that has been shown to be prone to failure and then choosing to decrease the accuracy/quality seems like a poor choice

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in europe things are different, no single governing body prohibits certain kinds of products without clearances.

as you are technically milling the interface everytime, this system definitely will not get used in the USA or Canada until/unless the company involved produces documentation to show the governing body (FDA) that milling the implant interface poses no risk.

so, never.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
in europe things are different, no single governing body prohibits certain kinds of products without clearances.

as you are technically milling the interface everytime, this system definitely will not get used in the USA or Canada until/unless the company involved produces documentation to show the governing body (FDA) that milling the implant interface poses no risk.

so, never.

Isnt it already approved?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no

those documents indicate TRI-Matrix can be sold in the states as a dental implant, and that TRI Dental has the authorization to manufacture

any lab manufacturing implant-level components needs their own 510k clearance except in the case of non engaging interfaces or non protected geometries (such as multiunits) this is why you mostly don't see premills come in the non-engaging variety. you only need premills cause you arent allowed to mill the interface since 2015.

so if you know anyone making tri matrix stuff or other interface-level milling or printing you can report them if you can prove they don't have their own 510k.

btw you need that for each implant you want to mill.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I don't have time to read too deeply but, I pulled this quote ". The manufacture of these abutments and restorations will be at TRI Dental Implant Int. AG facilities after receipt of the digital design file of the patient-matched components from the dentist or dental lab. "

They are marketing these as something that can be milled in lab, but the FDA approval article linked they state that they will be doing the manufacturing in their own facility. So I would say this is not the approval needed for these to be made in the US, in lab

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
How deep does the crown engage in to the implant? What is the screw made of and what is the torque for the screw?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I don't have time to read too deeply but, I pulled this quote ". The manufacture of these abutments and restorations will be at TRI Dental Implant Int. AG facilities after receipt of the digital design file of the patient-matched components from the dentist or dental lab. "

They are marketing these as something that can be milled in lab, but the FDA approval article linked they state that they will be doing the manufacturing in their own facility. So I would say this is not the approval needed for these to be made in the US, in lab
That's a no for me dawg. Having an implant company mill my crowns is akin to going backwards. We didn't invest in a mill so we could outsource our crown milling. What zirconia is being used? How are shades matched? We use preshaded pucks, but we still add in some pre sinter stains to make our crowns stand out from other labs. This whole concept seems like a solution in search of a problem.

leonlazic

leonlazic

Reaction score
Just because something exists, doesnt mean its better. Just because you own a mill doesnt mean you can mill this interface accurately. The abutment is the crown, dont fall for marketing. Cementing a crown on a $35 ti base is easy. Zirconia shouldnt go in an implant.. its like a coke bottle stuck in a pipe, the glass will eventually break if loaded.
If youve ever done one of the nobel pearl implants its the same, except they wont allow you to mill the interface. In fact most manufacturers dont just give away their interface geometry because labs dont have the CAM or mill to accurately mill the interface.
They do provide you with a special super precise strategy and an OG cad drawing of the interface so you don't have any mistakes when creating toolpaths from stl. Also you get a precise tool for checking if the tolerances are in the acceptable range.
I used to use zirconia abutments in the anterior for esthetic reasons. I never do now. It's not worth the fracture risk when you can get a Ti abutment and anodize it. The thought of restoring posteriors with a zirconia interface into the abutment isn't something I would want to put my name on right now. What's the benefit of this? Saving money on an abutment? Ti abutments allow for a narrower emergence profile coming out of the implant and then a natural emergence where the junction is with the crown. With zirconia, the abutment/crown has to be thicker under the tissue to maintain strength which also makes it harder for the dentist to deliver in some cases.
The last benefit I care about is saving money. I am not that kind of lab and only quality interests me. I see the benefit in reduced complexity, reduced inventory needed, which is basically nothing but labor implants and the three different screws for zriconia, metal and PMMA. Another benefit is deciding on the gingival height, angulation of the screw channel and anything else digitally all witin the design. There is also never a problem of the Ti-base being too high and the need to shorten it and then scan with scan spray and so on ...
I do agree with you on the emergence profile. Platform switching is a de-facto standard today and we'll have to see if the reduced thickness of soft tissue is a problem in such cases. That is probably also the reason why they prefer their tissue level implant which also has a scalloped neck. So the platform switching is kinda integrated in the implant itself.
no

those documents indicate TRI-Matrix can be sold in the states as a dental implant, and that TRI Dental has the authorization to manufacture

any lab manufacturing implant-level components needs their own 510k clearance except in the case of non engaging interfaces or non protected geometries (such as multiunits) this is why you mostly don't see premills come in the non-engaging variety. you only need premills cause you arent allowed to mill the interface since 2015.

so if you know anyone making tri matrix stuff or other interface-level milling or printing you can report them if you can prove they don't have their own 510k.

btw you need that for each implant you want to mill.
I never knew that FDA also regulates milling of custom abutments or more specifically their interfaces. So is the 510k clearance given out if you apply and have the tools and knowledge necessary or do you also have to pay? I too am skeptical that is why I am asking. In the past there was nothing but trouble with zirconia-titanium interfaces but those all really tried to be backward compatible with their already existing line and none were designed from ground up.
How deep does the crown engage in to the implant? What is the screw made of and what is the torque for the screw?
I don't have the exact measurements I would have to say about 2 mm. I have no idea that the materials of the screw are. They have a couple of different ones depending on the material of restoration being used. The torque of the screw is 35 Ncm.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
They do provide you with a special super precise strategy and an OG cad drawing of the interface so you don't have any mistakes when creating toolpaths from stl. Also you get a precise tool for checking if the tolerances are in the acceptable range.

The last benefit I care about is saving money. I am not that kind of lab and only quality interests me. I see the benefit in reduced complexity, reduced inventory needed, which is basically nothing but labor implants and the three different screws for zriconia, metal and PMMA. Another benefit is deciding on the gingival height, angulation of the screw channel and anything else digitally all witin the design. There is also never a problem of the Ti-base being too high and the need to shorten it and then scan with scan spray and so on ...
I do agree with you on the emergence profile. Platform switching is a de-facto standard today and we'll have to see if the reduced thickness of soft tissue is a problem in such cases. That is probably also the reason why they prefer their tissue level implant which also has a scalloped neck. So the platform switching is kinda integrated in the implant itself.

I never knew that FDA also regulates milling of custom abutments or more specifically their interfaces. So is the 510k clearance given out if you apply and have the tools and knowledge necessary or do you also have to pay? I too am skeptical that is why I am asking. In the past there was nothing but trouble with zirconia-titanium interfaces but those all really tried to be backward compatible with their already existing line and none were designed from ground up.

I don't have the exact measurements I would have to say about 2 mm. I have no idea that the materials of the screw are. They have a couple of different ones depending on the material of restoration being used. The torque of the screw is 35 Ncm.
Our lab isn't big enough to justify the cost and time of going through the 501k clearance process. That is the only way you can mill an interface that goes into an implant in the USA(pretty sure this is correct). Our mill(Ivoclar PM7) can mill Ti abutments, but we don't use it for that purpose because of that reason.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you have to pay, and you have to be prepared to prove that you can do it with samples and data showing your consistency of milling. the process can take several audits and well over 6 figures of money to complete.

Top Bottom