Thicker material

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know a thicker forming material than 2.5 mm for a hard splint? Also any advice adding acrylic to a hard splint material? I was told you can do this but i am worried about bonding the two together. Long story short I want to use the thermoforming material to make hard night guards but i don't want to deal with the acrylic if i don't have to. What I am using now is 2.5 thick and client wants 4mm plus. I could add clear acrylic but I'm just looking for so advice. Maybe printed hard splints? Thanks

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I've used Biocryl C from Scheu it's PMMA and I've added acrylic to it no problem. Printed hard splints @ 4 mm plus could work. Thinner will not last long from our experience. We are sticking with milled for now.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
I've used Biocryl C from Scheu it's PMMA and I've added acrylic to it no problem. Printed hard splints @ 4 mm plus could work. Thinner will not last long from our experience. We are sticking with milled for now.
OK Great thanks. Who do you recommend for milling? I am going to try to add to the Keystone hard splint material and see how it looks too. Thanks a bunch!!!! Looks like i may need to get the Bite splint module.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
OK Great thanks. Who do you recommend for milling? I am going to try to add to the Keystone hard splint material and see how it looks too. Thanks a bunch!!!! Looks like i may need to get the Bite splint module.
When you add to the Keystone, roughen it up and paint it with some Palabond before you add the acrylic to it. You'll get a better bond.

O

omsk

Reaction score
I believe Erkodent has 4 and 5mm discs in all hard material.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
One other thing would I need to put it in a pressure pot or can I do like a self cure? I know most acrylic would go in a pot.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
As said above, Erkodent make 4 and 5 mm hard foils. We make hundreds of these.

Don't overcomplicate things by milling or printing. It takes literally minutes to make one of these when you are up to speed and costs peanuts.

Get a decent pressure former (not vacuum for hard splints, I know they work but with the thicker, harder foils, pressure really is best) either Erkopress, Biostar or Drufomat etc. It will pay for it's self in no time.

You can add clear acrylic to the "Erkodur" material, I use Erkodent's Resilit acrylic, buffs up like glass and doesn't look like its been added on, just looks like one piece. You will need a pressure pot to cure the Resilit. I only add acrylic when there is a gap in the occlusion I need to close which is not often. I would always advise balancing the occlusion for full contact. For adding acrylic and balancing the occlusion I charge extra because it takes longer.