Techs who pour process

S

Stella02

Reaction score
hello,
I'm wondering what's everybodys tips and tricks to make cold cure dentures awesome. the lab I'm currently in does strictly pour partials and dentures, but every so often we get these issues where the stone model some how got shifted and the denture comes out with a shortened verticle or the model somehow got one end pushed in further than the other and it then rocks in the patients mouth.
I'm still new to this way of processing so I'm wondering if I build up the base of the model to make a little step if that will hold it into the hydro better when I go to process or if I grind grooves somewhere so it locks in better.

Anybody have any tips or suggestions???

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I would have a medical emergency if I saw my model shifted like that. You may want to try microwaving dentures ( 3 min in the microwave) and get away from the pour kind.

S

Stella02

Reaction score
I would have a medical emergency if I saw my model shifted like that. You may want to try microwaving dentures ( 3 min in the microwave) and get away from the pour kind.
Trust me my heart sinks everytime it happens, especially because I'm not the one who messed it up to start, but I'm the one who has to fix it or hear about it. Id try the microwave flasks, but it's not my lab and that's how the owner wants us to process

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Well in that case it's on your employer. If they are seating the dentures like that, then they know what they are doing (bad work). All you can do is go to continuing ed classes, keep up with proper procedures and keep making suggestions in hope the employer will listen.There are pour systems out there that are of a higher quality but of course it costs more to make.

PS... if it were me, I would rig a stop to make sure the models don't shift, and yes as you suggested make grooves:cool:

Last edited:
K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Small amount of hydrocolloid in pour flask and then seat cast firmly before finishing the pour. When placing cast back in hydrocolloid to pour acrylic, little dots of honey on the sides of the cast helps to stick cast to hydrocolloid. Also works for teeth if you are getting floaters. The key is SMALL amounts. Hope this helps.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
hello,
I'm wondering what's everybodys tips and tricks to make cold cure dentures awesome. the lab I'm currently in does strictly pour partials and dentures, but every so often we get these issues where the stone model some how got shifted and the denture comes out with a shortened verticle or the model somehow got one end pushed in further than the other and it then rocks in the patients mouth.
I'm still new to this way of processing so I'm wondering if I build up the base of the model to make a little step if that will hold it into the hydro better when I go to process or if I grind grooves somewhere so it locks in better.

You definitely need a shelf or ledge on the model to hold it and spread out the weight of the model.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Small amount of hydrocolloid in pour flask and then seat cast firmly before finishing the pour. When placing cast back in hydrocolloid to pour acrylic, little dots of honey on the sides of the cast helps to stick cast to hydrocolloid. Also works for teeth if you are getting floaters. The key is SMALL amounts. Hope this helps.
Honey? Really! That's very interesting. Give them a sweet tooth :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dense, flexible temp cement, i'm surprised i hadn't heard of using Honey earlier either.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
We don't cold cure anything except repairs if we can help it. We just got a microwave flask to prevent having to do cold cure 1-2 tooth flippers that are needed to be a 1 day turn around . We timed it on a test run today. A one tooth flipper from setting the tooth to polishing took 2 hrs and 50 minutes. As quick as this can be done maybe you can talk your boss into getting some microwave flasks.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
dense, flexible temp cement, i'm surprised i hadn't heard of using Honey earlier either.

image.php

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
You definitely need a shelf or ledge on the model to hold it and spread out the weight of the model.

X2 on the above, with pours we make sure there’s a bigger ledge around the model to stabilize it in the hydrocolloid. Prevents it from being pressed in to far as mentioned.

The honey trick does work [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

David Laville

Reaction score
hello,

Are you letting the hydro completely solidify? If you're removing the model while it's cool on the outside but still warm on the inside you may be getting distortion when you remove the model.

F

fschmitz1

Reaction score
Make sure you have 3 good points of contact on max also cut back all of the hydro so the model will fit in easily. If the denture is moving you have not sealed down the denture or the temperature of the hydro is to high. I have been pouring dentures for five years and I think the new arycric is just as good as heat cure

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have 3 good points of contact on max also cut back all of the hydro so the model will fit in easily. If the denture is moving you have not sealed down the denture or the temperature of the hydro is to high. I have been pouring dentures for five years and I think the new arycric is just as good as heat cure
Do you have a favorite flask? Well, not a favorite one that you take out to the movies with you, but favorite type.

R

rubberwheele

Reaction score
I also use cold pour acrylic. A large land area around the entire model (3-5mm) should stop the models from digging into the hydro. Also trimming your models at a slight angle so the base is just a tiny bit thicker will let the model slide right into the hydro without peices of hydro ending up in your denture.

J

jeppe

Reaction score

I'm about to switch from heatcuring and Ivobase to pouring technique. I would be interested to hear about different acrylics for this. Have you tried out many kinds and which one is your choice of material?

W

William matwijec

Reaction score
I use cmp's noblitone pourable its pretty good, Have used fricke wasn't very good, I also used the hereaus palajet with there palapress vario . I liked the palajet but you need their system but i had good results and it is a great acrylic. The only reason i stopped using it is I do alot of work for a clinic and they insist on pouring the denture because of price.

Top Bottom