Technician wanted in Portland OR

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
we need a technician to fill the process/finish spot here. Not for the lazy. We have a great reputation and we're busy.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what does that position pay out there(I know there are lots of variables just ballpark) I am a little more than just a process finish person but i am curious what the pay is like on the west coast I am in central ohio

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The owner says that varies depending on what abilities are.
FWIW I started at 40k ish. Last year I pulled in almost 48.
We get health insurance, vision, a life policy, two weeks paid vacay.
They never stiff on overtime.

I you want to talk to the powers that be,
Custom Dental Prosthetics
Ask for Raffi.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I do not come on this site much but i see that you have cdt behind your initial, are you a cdt? and if so what are you certified in? I have been certified in CD since 2112 been doing it much longer but my certification isn't worth beans in Ohio. I am really considering a change my salary here is comparable to what you quoted but i am in a dead end career trajectory wise.Does the designation hold much weight out there?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I do not come on this site much but i see that you have cdt behind your initial, are you a cdt? and if so what are you certified in? I have been certified in CD since 2112 been doing it much longer but my certification isn't worth beans in Ohio. I am really considering a change my salary here is comparable to what you quoted but i am in a dead end career trajectory wise.Does the designation hold much weight out there?

A typo? Maybe not, and you're going to live longer than all of us ;) Good questions though, always wondered myself some of the questions you're asking.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You're blowing his time traveler cover.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
OK you guys busted me i am from the future and i was bored so i traveled back in time to converse with technicians from the past I only have one more question Who killed J.R.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
correction shot J.R. LOL on a side note to the original poster my questions are sincere and I can be verified through the NBC website if it means anything to the powers that be

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I can't speak for the greater metro area, but this lab pays CDT more.
As for career trajectories, most of us would be hard pressed to correlate certification to upward mobility.
That said, I found it helpful in getting a serious interview.
My CDT is complete dentures, awarded in '97.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score

I sent you a PM.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
My techs went and did their CDT exams last year and became CDT's. I pushed them to do it not for recognition or for them to make more pay. However, I want them to have every chance and opportunity I did in this industry...and to be honest, I love this shlt fellas!!! And as kcdt eluded too...it may not get you any extra money, or the dream job you were seeking, but it will almost always get you a sit down with the owner for a serious interview. Trust me, that's half the battle with us introverts. Besides, BSc after my name was getting lonely :p

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
Good luck to you. We've had the hardest time finding experienced techs out here. Some of the best recent hires have been from outside the area.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
thanks kcdt i have not recognized a nickel since i achieved my cdt but the personal satisfaction is what i was after.Not to sound conceited but in this line of work either you have it or you don't. I came from a construction background and fell into this field(no pun intended but i actually fell 2 stories on a jobsite) long story short i did vocational rehab and was offered this field as a career. I took to it like a fish to water and the rest is history. I personally love the challenge of setting a case for someone who is completely edentulous some are gravy others not so much removable techs face challenges that are so varied and to me that never gets old. What does get old is the business side of this industry hence my original response to kcdt's post.Anyhow I have the utmost respect for this field and the individuals who make it what it is.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Paul, what does the top of the career trajectory in removables look like? Being a manager or doing implant cases? Just curious. Getting a denturist certificate might push that trajectory a bit higher? There are dozens of jobs at denture mills like aspen, not to take away from kcdts ad here, but in many cases you could run the whole lab yourself if thats what you wanted.. I dont know if the pay is worth it but maybe there are production bonuses.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
I guess that when i say career trajectory i was pertaining to further education and learning new things and that is not going to happen where i am currently employed.As far as opening my own lab, I have a buddy who is a tech and a one man show and he puts in crazy hours is married to the lab and is basically just one life mishap (health issues etc..)from losing what he has worked for. He cant even take a vacation because he is afraid his doctors will jump ship if he tells them he will close for a week.I responded to kcdt's post I guess to see if the grass is greener on the other side so to speak I have seen his posts and he seems to be a straight up guy plus as he informed me he is a cdt in CD as am I. As far as the denture mills such as Aspen Affordable and the like I get offers all the time because they go to the NBC website and see who the CDTs are and spam the crap out of you they are desperate for removable techs. I am sure you can ask kcdt denture techs are a dying breed, hell the government in the U.S. just downgraded dental technician to an unskilled trade imagine that. Anyway didnt mean to turn this into a rant but thanks for the response.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Paul, what does the top of the career trajectory in removables look like? Being a manager or doing implant cases? Just curious. Getting a denturist certificate might push that trajectory a bit higher? There are dozens of jobs at denture mills like aspen, not to take away from kcdts ad here, but in many cases you could run the whole lab yourself if thats what you wanted.. I dont know if the pay is worth it but maybe there are production bonuses.
To clarify;
I do not work in a mill. We have the best reputation in our area for removable prosthetics.
I routinely handle implant work, and go on site for all on 4 conversions.
I also spent my early years in denturism.

I left self employment because it no longer worked for me. I needed free time back or I was gonna die. Simple as that.

Please don't mistake a lab set up for production for a denture mill. They're not the same.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I wasnt comparing your lab to a denture mill, I was saying that aspen is a denture mill. I understand wanting to get out of self-employment, Im almost there myself. I think Aspen and others offer 'go-getters' a possibility to experience running all aspects of the lab, not just one step as most production labs are set up. I really know nothing about aspen or denture mills or whether that is even worth it.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I wasnt comparing your lab to a denture mill, I was saying that aspen is a denture mill. I understand wanting to get out of self-employment, Im almost there myself. I think Aspen and others offer 'go-getters' a possibility to experience running all aspects of the lab, not just one step as most production labs are set up. I really know nothing about aspen or denture mills or whether that is even worth it.
My understanding of Aspen is they control how production is produced. A technician may well fabricate a denture start to finish, but the materials and process are dictated.