TCS partial Vs. Duraflex

T

Tina P

Reaction score
I have to ask opinions on TCS vs. the Duraflex partial. Yet again, the another lab tech that just thinks TCS partials are so so so wonderful and I on the other hand have had to seat them in the patients mouth and absolutely hate them. HATE HATE HATE! Repairing them and adjusting them sucks and they always seem to need at least three or more adjustment appts. I've only had a couple patients that have came in with Duraflex and they are so easy to adjust and can be repaired. I guess I'm just looking for people to agree with me, LOL! :)

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i lean toward duraflex myself. i think tcs has some form of repairing that is available now....but not positive, i think i recall hearing about it at the mid-winter meeting.

tcs is less expensive for labs to get into, so lots move toward it quickly....but for my clients and from what i have heard from other labs, duraflex is the way to go. just wish they had more/better tissue colors to go with (very minor detail)

my vote is def for duraflex. hands down its better.

T

Tina P

Reaction score
i lean toward duraflex myself. i think tcs has some form of repairing that is available now....but not positive, i think i recall hearing about it at the mid-winter meeting.

tcs is less expensive for labs to get into, so lots move toward it quickly....but for my clients and from what i have heard from other labs, duraflex is the way to go. just wish they had more/better tissue colors to go with (very minor detail)

my vote is def for duraflex. hands down its better.
They do have a repair kit, I have never used it. I have always just sent out to another lab and when they came back it never fit. Warped!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
They do have a repair kit, I have never used it. I have always just sent out to another lab and when they came back it never fit. Warped!
bingo!

now that being said.....i dont want to kick tcs too much. i would say some of the blame lies with the people doing the work. though ultimately if it fits the model.....

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Man, I actually prefer TCS over Duraflex. I'm don't have anything against Duraflex, but I feel you will see more of them fail with broken clasps than anything. I know that I've repaired quite a few like that, and just what I've tested on their flexibility that if you bend them too much they will break, whereas I can do that to a TCS all day long and not worry about it. I do about 20-30 TCS per month and don't have fit issues, but like Bob said I think a lot of that has to do with the technician. Been doing them for 10+ years now (myself, not outsourcing) and can say til I got it down I hated them with a passion. The great thing is that I think a lot of people feel like you do so it is more incentive for me to embrace it and try to be good at it. If I can help you in anyway I'd be more than happy to help.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Lacking knowledge to make a reasonable comment has never stopped me before, so why start now:

Wouldn't the "better" system be the one that allows for change/additions/adjustments with the most ease? Nobody's oral enviroment is set, it's always changing, so wouldn't that be a good metric being most other of the parameters are rather similar between these systems indications and contra-indications?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
. The great thing is that I think a lot of people feel like you do so it is more incentive for me to embrace it and try to be good at it. If I can help you in anyway I'd be more than happy to help.

That's the spirit! Hoarding knowledge is so early 80's.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Lacking knowledge to make a reasonable comment has never stopped me before, so why start now

I thought that was a prerquesite for membership here.

Wouldn't the "better" system be the one that allows for change/additions/adjustments with the most ease? Nobody's oral enviroment is set, it's always changing, so wouldn't that be a good metric being most other of the parameters are rather similar between these systems indications and contra-indications?

Maybe, but for me the TCS is a better choice (nothing really against Duraflex).. I have the most experience with it and my drs don't have any complaints with the ones I'm making. Common response is no adjustments at delivery and one follow up with minor adjustments. But trust me, when I started doing them I had plenty of negative feedback, oh heck, plenty of nasty phone calls. Its all a learning curve, everything just clicked one day.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I thought that was a prerquesite for membership here.

Maybe, but for me the TCS is a better choice (nothing really against Duraflex).. I have the most experience with it and my drs don't have any complaints with the ones I'm making. Common response is no adjustments at delivery and one follow up with minor adjustments. But trust me, when I started doing them I had plenty of negative feedback, oh heck, plenty of nasty phone calls. Its all a learning curve, everything just clicked one day.

I gotcha. It seems to be the way that a lot of this goes. You're working with 30 dozen facts and then one morning it gells into a working method. Experience is a non-forgiving but quite giving educator.

kostisg

kostisg

Reaction score
Well, for me is almost the same iflex tcs and duraflex... Actually the last six months i prefer to use thermosens by Vertex, and i m very satisfied

N

nickate

Reaction score
Here's what I know.. The easier the material of choice is to polish-- the easier they break. My tcs unbreakable clasps have-- so far-- not stress fatigued from being used as handles or going around the tooth undercut. Been making them 8+ years. As time goes by they get UUUgly though.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The reason TCS Unbreakable clasps last longer than Durafex clasps is they are two different thermoplastic materials with different properties.
Like comparing plaster to die stone. One does not triumph over the other.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I have to ask opinions on TCS vs. the Duraflex partial. Yet again, the another lab tech that just thinks TCS partials are so so so wonderful and I on the other hand have had to seat them in the patients mouth and absolutely hate them. HATE HATE HATE! Repairing them and adjusting them sucks and they always seem to need at least three or more adjustment appts. I've only had a couple patients that have came in with Duraflex and they are so easy to adjust and can be repaired. I guess I'm just looking for people to agree with me, LOL! :)
TCS is nylon based and Duraflex is thermoplastic. It is much easier to finish and polish Duraflex just like acrylic. Both are not easy to repair. and cannot be relined.. As far as adjusting it several time , it is because it is a tissue born appliance and with the nature on the tissue in the mouth some areas might absorb the pressure than the other side or next to it.
It alway press on the original and refit on the duplicate. The biggest mistake that I see happening is that some Drs or chair side techs adjust the inner side of the partial when pressure to the gums is coming from a high bite spot. The second mistake ,they use an acrylic burr to adjust the pink area VS using a slow speed rubber point. And the third one is always dip the partial in worm to hot water for 10sec to prevent tissue temperature shock and it is much easier to insert.
Let us remember clasps on flex partial, all
Of them, hug the full height of contour of the tooth VS cast that only the tip
Of the clasp engages the undercut.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
TCS is nylon based and Duraflex is thermoplastic. It is much easier to finish and polish Duraflex just like acrylic.
Both are thermoplastics. TCS unbreakable is a nylon, Duraflex is a polyolefin.

Last edited:
GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
while on the tcs topic

hydraulic injector or auto air injector ?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
while on the tcs topic

hydraulic injector or auto air injector ?
Well I use the TCS air injector. Bought it used. But they are all about the same. It definitely has its problems so I modded.mine a little. Like I said theres not much high tech to it if you take the cabinet off. Its overpriced, but a good.machine for a DIY person.

They say hydraulic is the best because of pressure, but I think it could be a little dangerous if not .destructive if you run into problems, and you will.

If you can't do it with 150psi, something is wrong.

Last edited:
I

in-house tech

Reaction score
Man, I actually prefer TCS over Duraflex. I'm don't have anything against Duraflex, but I feel you will see more of them fail with broken clasps than anything. I know that I've repaired quite a few like that, and just what I've tested on their flexibility that if you bend them too much they will break, whereas I can do that to a TCS all day long and not worry about it. I do about 20-30 TCS per month and don't have fit issues, but like Bob said I think a lot of that has to do with the technician. Been doing them for 10+ years now (myself, not outsourcing) and can say til I got it down I hated them with a passion. The great thing is that I think a lot of people feel like you do so it is more incentive for me to embrace it and try to be good at it. If I can help you in anyway I'd be more than happy to help.
29NOV22: Hello. im loooking at TCS as a possible option to start milling my flexies... im an inhouse lab, and I need to figure out something more efficient. (and flexible..) I'm currently making non-flexible partials with standard mon&pol "salt & pepper" technique, and (they are def not flexible..) breaking clasps during processing, and other issues... id love to get some input/advise/guidance.... [email protected]

K

KellyS

Reaction score
Have you had any success repairing TCS or adding teeth to existing TCS?