T-710 impression scanning & Ackuretta printing

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Now Andrew to get back to the real story and not a countless debate between analog and digital..... It's an intriguing story. Now that you are on this path and have what I believe to be premium equipment.... What shortfalls have you encountered and what would or still do you do analog, that you have found digital to be lacking.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Well I'd say one reason his old habits die hard. Dentist already believe from the salesman that the digital scan is infallible. So automatically if you make something "without a cast", there's going to be that disconnect that it was your fault, just like analog.

Plus there's something to be said about the tactile feel. Remember 3D is only represented on a two-dimension
Thank you guys for all the information, It's a digital journey but I know a 3D printer is on the horizon for me.

Last edited:
Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
i never look at analog/digital as a debate. i don't think i ever have. the margin on this impression is completely unsupported. there is no way to pour it, and i don't send impressions back. so now what?

B874FE9D-7118-4927-A9BD-B9C837802EA2_1_105_c.jpeg

we've heard for how long, scan impressions! no one will trust that you actually can, we have heard it for eternity, with endless failure.
the one feature i love about the T-710 is the ability to scan a die and merge to the impression scan... you can choose which is accurate.. the only problem is you now don't have a "watertight" model or "design".. i'm working on this.
and simply pour a solid contact model as well.. at any time... congratulations on giving yourself an un-bastardized contact model along with a printed model?

i will lean toward accuracy.. digital or analog... accuracy comes from all directions... processing errors in stone, lets scan inaccurate stone. it expands. contracts. we adjust our settings.

the t-710 has 4um accuracy that means nothing unless it is maximized. scan your impression. design your crown.
pour your model? or print? or not? i like looking at the Dr's impression 100% clean while i'm marking margins.

simply re-arranging the processes can lead to greater accuracy.... why not scanalogs instead of a scanbody in a poured impression
some cases have challenges that can only be solved by a model pour to start with, so to answer the question on what percentage of what, i'd say that for most cases we combine both digital and analog in various steps.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
the other important point to make, i don't want a model room in my house. our model room consists of a Vac mixer, 2 drum grinders, and a vacc system from hell... we pretty much dry process everything... we use grey resin rock, a little sensitive for multiple pours.
our model trimmer hooks up outside and has been used 5 times. no pindex, we use Monotrac.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
So right now you're just printing casts, splints, patterns.... Temporaries?... But you haven't embarked on the "new permanent crown" stuff. How about soft tissue?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Not printing soft tissue... we are injecting it... currently, all of our digital implant work is for other labs (we support some local startups as well)

i was asked to speak at lab day about some of the new crown materials, but couldn't justify it...
opening on a dime means you no longer have the dime.

that said, i was just now asked to do some instructing/teaching small "hands on" groups, techs and practices around the country.. this is more up my alley and a regular paid gig with a number that makes me smile a little.
i was thinking of opening up my lab as a manufacturing resource for other labs as well.
So right now you're just printing casts, splints, patterns.... Temporaries?... But you haven't embarked on the "new permanent crown" stuff. How about soft tissue?
Rodin Sculpture is impressive material. it's dense, bills out as ceramic, reminds me of lava ultimate somewhat (its workability) i love the new printed materials out there. at the very least, this is a printed material that will outlast a milled acrylic frame, is easier/cheaper/more on that later... if anyone has a large case and would like a print to work with, let me know. try it out.

i worked near a military base and we cranked out lava ultimate for those shipping out.. us techs never viewed it as and we never sold it as a permanent solution. we knew better. it was beautiful material in its application, but was oversold as a permanent solution
permanent defined. life span of restoration vs life span of pt.

so me personally as a tech, my grandmother is 101. acrylic is probably permanent. RS is certainly permanent.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Best part of that webinar: "I couldnt make a denture by hand if you paid me a million dollars, but digitally, I learned in 3 days" Adore

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Best part of that webinar: "I couldnt make a denture by hand if you paid me a million dollars, but digitally, I learned in 3 days" Adore
early in my career i could hand wax the hell out of a crown...
after years of having my face buried in screws and componentry, i can't wax anything... wait, yea i can. i click "print".

loved that part too... but
*pause
the denture looks like it was made by someone that.. well... "days" he said right?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I can imagine the look on Docs face when I walk in with a printed turd and say "this is the official lee culp workflow" and he replies "lee who?"
Grampa Simpson British Teeth Wash Off.gif

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear Frank took care of ya, we've known each other for awhile. His wife is badass at printing as well. Is your T710 picking up those really deep preps good enough to have something to print or are you having to pour a single die and mesh the scan data with the poured die?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Glad to hear Frank took care of ya, we've known each other for awhile. His wife is badass at printing as well. Is your T710 picking up those really deep preps good enough to have something to print or are you having to pour a single die and mesh the scan data with the poured die?
the scanner picks up the impression, deep preps are irrelevant so far, i'll look for a gnarly one to produce.
Andrea, yes she is.. tips n tricks!

we are pouring contact models more than anything. what i'm seriously interested in after all this, is importing a single poured die into an IO scan..
anyone doing this in exo?

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
the scanner picks up the impression, deep preps are irrelevant so far, i'll look for a gnarly one to produce.
Andrea, yes she is.. tips n tricks!

we are pouring contact models more than anything. what i'm seriously interested in after all this, is importing a single poured die into an IO scan..
anyone doing this in exo?
much has been done.
stone die combined with IO scan too.
there is one rule. The impression and scan must be accurate.

you just set everything as a scan using multidie. load the IO scan as a model, and you scan and then merge.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
I was going to ask at the end, because I was confused and unclear , “ is everything printed “?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
i'll share some changes we made to our print processing.... luckily we can buy 99% alcohol... we hardly use any now. we spray our prints with air into a garbage can dedicated to wet resin only... mist with alcohol, air off...
the heavier resins get cleaned out with silicone tipped modeling tools back to the vat....

soon i'll hook a 2" suction line from the can to my vac system... it'll take the alcohol fumes out of the can

F57796CA-7F2C-4541-819A-7114098F6E90_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg
we throw the plates in the cleani... thats about all we use it for..

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
i'll share some changes we made to our print processing.... luckily we can buy 99% alcohol... we hardly use any now. we spray our prints with air into a garbage can dedicated to wet resin only... mist with alcohol, air off...
the heavier resins get cleaned out with silicone tipped modeling tools back to the vat....

soon i'll hook a 2" suction line from the can to my vac system... it'll take the alcohol fumes out of the can

View attachment 42575

View attachment 42578
we throw the plates in the cleani... thats about all we use it for..
Harbor Freight is a great Dental Supplier.

Top Bottom