"Surgical Guide" from a model

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
A doctor sent in a model where they would like me to make a "surgical guide" for an implant in tooth 10. The tooth will be extracted and then the implant place on the same day. There is no CBCT scan. Using 3Shape, my plan was to scan the model and design a splint incorporating about 7-12 that will go about half way down the teeth. I will print the splint and then manually drill a hole in 10 where I think an ideal screw channel hole would end up. Does that sound right?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
A doctor sent in a model where they would like me to make a "surgical guide" for an implant in tooth 10. The tooth will be extracted and then the implant place on the same day. There is no CBCT scan. Using 3Shape, my plan was to scan the model and design a splint incorporating about 7-12 that will go about half way down the teeth. I will print the splint and then manually drill a hole in 10 where I think an ideal screw channel hole would end up. Does that sound right?
yep, we get some of these "basic" guides from time to time. its not the most ideal way to make guides, but its better than some of the wild free-hand placements we all have seen over the years!

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score

So just an anatomical stent? Digitally extract he tooth, design a pontic, subtract a cylinder, add some windows, add some support

Screenshot_20221031-213625_Chrome.jpg

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I call those positioning guides, as it only gives rough position of the future tooth. And I agree, it is better than nothing. I use exocad and place pontics and create the splint part as a gingiva.