Suggestions for soft nightguards

millhouserekrap

millhouserekrap

Reaction score
I have a case that has come back for a second remake because they are complaining my impak nightguard is too hard. The first one I made with the standard 3:1 ratio, the remake I made with the softer 2:1 ratio. They keep insisting they want thermoplastic and not soft, but Im not convinced they will be happy with any further impak remakes. At my old lab we had the ivocap injection system so I'd make elastomer in this case, but my new lab we doesn't have the system. What does everyone else use for soft nightguards? Should I speak with my boss about getting injection for elastomer or sending it out to another lab?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have a case that has come back for a second remake because they are complaining my impak nightguard is too hard. The first one I made with the standard 3:1 ratio, the remake I made with the softer 2:1 ratio. They keep insisting they want thermoplastic and not soft, but Im not convinced they will be happy with any further impak remakes. At my old lab we had the ivocap injection system so I'd make elastomer in this case, but my new lab we doesn't have the system. What does everyone else use for soft nightguards? Should I speak with my boss about getting injection for elastomer or sending it out to another lab?
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

I don't have the answers, but someone does and they'll be around soon as the second pot of coffee hits.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
What we do for Thermal/hard nightguards is using a thermal acrylic on the inside of the nightguard, and then doing the surface and lingual side of the anteriors with hard acrylic. You get the in-between of super soft thermal and hard acrylic surface for longevity.

If even that is still too hard, we do sometimes use thick vacuum form materials for splints, these are very soft but do not stand up to much punishment if they are heavy grinders, you can augment them with hard acrylic surfaces but that can be a bit more challenging.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
We do the hard/soft dual laminate vacuum formed and pts love them. Soft around teeth but hard outside.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
All of the above suggestions or you can line a hard nightguard with Dentsply's clear permasoft which you can control how soft to make it.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Astron dental make a product called CLEARSPLINT,
I dont use it often , but when I have it seems to work well.
Standard flask and packing. Cures at 50 c for 1 hour.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Clearsplint is nice stuff, but it is exceptionally technique sensitive. The best version I've heard to process it flawlessly every time is a dedicated pot and a sous vide cooker on the pot. Clearsplint has a 5degF window they want it in. 2.5dF either way from IFU temp. 4 degrees off and it's cloudy or very smelly or both at the best result.

edit: cant spell and here's a link if you don't know what I'm talking about.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Clearsplint is nice stuff, but it is exceptionally technique sensitive. The best version I've heard to process it flawlessly every time is a dedicated pot and a sous vide cooker on the pot. Clearsplint has a 5degF window they want it in. 2.5dF either way from IFU temp. 4 degrees off and it's cloudy or very smelly or both at the best result.

edit: cant spell and here's a link if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I have not noticed clear splint to be that sensitive. I have actually ivobase injected it, and it came out fantastic. I just mixed it in the tube, and placed it right before the injector engages and it came out clear as glass. I normally use a pressure pot w/ 90psi in warm water for 20 min. Then still on model drop it in very hot water and leave it until it is cool enough to grab.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
dual laminate thermoplastic? soft inside, hard exterior...maybe that would suit them better?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Glidewell is minting money making hard/soft suckdown nightguards, and every Dr I know uses them. Any other way simply cant be profitable. How much do you charge for a packed nightquard? It would have to be $150-200..

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score

I use this and I have a lot of success with it, the only thing is it comes out slightly foggy kind of white-ish in color, but it clears out and becomes completely clear in couple of weeks, I include an instruction note with each case explaining that fact and how to wear it after softening it under faucet hot water for few seconds,

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Been using Erkodent 3mm vacuum formed material all this year. Used to do heat processed hard out soft in. Laborious. I charge same price for the suck down as I was charging for heat processed and patients love em. Insurances cover a new nightguard every 2 years so why use a tank when a pea shooter will do?

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I use to make the Impak night guards for lab I use to work, Using the manufacturers mixing ratio they came out too soft, like gummy bears. I altered the ratio, sorry can't remember it was too long ago, and they came out harder and still had thermoplastic characteristics. A lot of the dentist didn't like them because they said the soft material caused the patient to clench even harder. I started making splints using hard acrylic on the outside and lined with Impak material on the inside.They functioned as a normal hard splint with great retention and the patients said they were more comfortable to wear.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
ive been milling clearsplint for quite some time now.... i make my own pucks with a puck mould i made and they are fantastic! clients and patients love them!

B

basler

Reaction score
Been using Erkodent 3mm vacuum formed material all this year. Used to do heat processed hard out soft in. Laborious. I charge same price for the suck down as I was charging for heat processed and patients love em. Insurances cover a new nightguard every 2 years so why use a tank when a pea shooter will do?
soft/hard 3mm? do you have the order number I can`t find good material for the erkodent....

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The 3mm is very thick, some have a hard time with them, but it does give you more room to adjust the occlusion before you get into the soft material. I just find I have to reduce way more to equilibrate the nightguard. I like the 2 or maybe its a 2.5mm, not sure..

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Buy from great lakes orthodontics, they have great deals. I never buy from gw. The one time I did, in true GW fashion, they sent me the wrong size..

Top Bottom