Study models??

M

Melkor

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to start fabricating study models for some of my dr's but have not had any experience with them since school. I have some premium ortho stone and some whip mix "model glow". I have a very basic model trimmer. Is it absolutely necessary to have a vacuum mixer?? ARe there any inexpensive work arrounds to a vacuum mixer? I also saw study model formers for sale fairly cheaply, does any one use these? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

user name

user name

Reaction score
No vacuum needed. I use an ivory/buff colored stone and depending on the situation either vacalon Proline bright white, ivory white or Renfert natural wax. Just keep it real...you dont want to create a sell-tool that you wont be able to achieve.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to start fabricating study models for some of my dr's but have not had any experience with them since school. I have some premium ortho stone and some whip mix "model glow". I have a very basic model trimmer. Is it absolutely necessary to have a vacuum mixer?? ARe there any inexpensive work arrounds to a vacuum mixer? I also saw study model formers for sale fairly cheaply, does any one use these? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you talking ortho models? with all the correct angles and depths? Or just a nice set of articulated models?

M

Melkor

Reaction score
Ortho study models with correct angles and depth.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Vac is highly recommended. Youtube how to ortho models. Good luck. They suck.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
A work around of the Vacmixer you could mix it runny and that eliminates a higher percentage of bubbles. as for the formers, if you are looking for everything to be right it probably wont match up perfectly like it would if you trimmed it yourself if you want it to look good and not be as functional then they should be fine. Having to plane both models to sit on all of those angles would be really hard to do with a former.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
How much do study models go for these days? Have they gone digital yet?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
make some jigs for your angles..
formers are great for getting it in the basic "space"
get a decent vibrator first... crappy vac mixer second if you can

just my opinion, but a crappy model trimer is an absolute no-go

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Too much work not enough payout. At least it was for me. If I were to do them again I wouldn't take anything less than $60 a set.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I don't think you will get a doc to pay $60. Unfortunately, there is little value place on models in dental.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I don't think you will get a doc to pay $60. Unfortunately, there is little value place on models in dental.
Ortho Study models still hold more of a premium, 50 would be more where they are at. Good orthodontists that see/feel the value will pay for models, especially with a digital file that they have the software for.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score

You are correct and that is why I feel they are too much work for the payout the docs pay.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
He already has drs asking for them. That means there is value in them for him. If they want something they will pay for it. For 32.50 I would outsource, take my markup and run with it.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I wonder if a miter saw with a diamond blade would work for the angle cutting... there has to be something made for this

wet band saw?

M

Melkor

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the imput. Here is the update. I ended up buying some metal formers from OSE. I have been mixing the stone in an old whip mix vacuum container using a hand vacuum pump. It has been working pretty well but not flawless. So far no complaints from the Dr. It isn't really something I wanted to do but thats what the customer is asking for so you know how that goes. Around here they are going for $40-50. They are time consuming so that sucks and I am really considering outsourcing. With digital study models will be replaced so I am not worried about this being a huge money maker as long as its not a drag either.

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
I ended up not doing ortho in my lab because of this

tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if there is anyone doing digital orthodontic models now? I started to design 2 ortho models for my client today and I can't get the models come out in white color, is there anyone having the same problem with me?
Seeking for helps if any here.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0121 1.JPG
    IMG_0121 1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 11
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Too much work not enough payout. At least it was for me. If I were to do them again I wouldn't take anything less than $60 a set.
I was charging that back in the mid ninetes.
Charge enough is all I'll say. They're disruptive.

R

Rajashree2347

Reaction score
Accurate trimming of orthodontic study models facilitates proper diagnosis and treatment planning. Well-trimmed, esthetically pleasing models, reflect the practitioner's attention to detail and are a part of the patient's legal treatment record.