Straumann scan bodies with IOS systems

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
Definitely going to try to talk the doctor into in house milled abutments

Straumann has the geometries for the hole where the repositioning analog goes. They want us to purchase the CS2 model builder software to process the model files annnnddd I'm not doing that. We don't do enough of those cases to pay for the software.

up to my knowledge CS2 is not a model builder , it is more like a library that the model builder use it to index the scan body to the analogue of their own, so the analogue will take the right position.

do you have the model builder module in your 3shape software???

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
If I wanted to waste a mill on model milling, I have blanks to do that. It's just not practical.

with implant cases it is extraordinary practical, and of course you can charge for it.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
up to my knowledge CS2 is not a model builder , it is more like a library that the model builder use it to index the scan body to the analogue of their own, so the analogue will take the right position.

You're probably correct. I may have explained it different. With the CS2, there is a module or something that allows the model file to be produced with the correct locations setup for the repositioning analogs.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score

This is from the Straumann site. That's the software they are trying to sell us.

"With the Straumann® CARES® Visual Software, dental labs use the digital impression to design and order Straumann prosthetics for implant-borne or tooth-borne restorations. For implant cases, Straumann® CARES® X-STREAM™ provides a seamless process for designing the abutment and final restoration in a single design.
The model builder module allows the lab to design and order a printed SLA model with a socket for the corresponding Straumann® Repositionable Implant Analog."

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
Just curious, why do you say it's practical for implant cases?

because there is no ditching you deal with analogue, the accuracy is relatively high.
and you can put a decent charge for it because its implant not regular crown(ask your self: how much you pay for it now).
and most of the time the implant cases are small and require small model and short milling time.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
because there is no ditching you deal with analogue, the accuracy is relatively high.
and you can put a decent charge for it because its implant not regular crown(ask your self: how much you pay for it now).
and most of the time the implant cases are small and require small model and short milling time.
Oh, I thought you were comparing milled models to printed models. Most of our implant cases are quite large. We do a lot of full arch cases with implants. I don't fully trust doing implant models digitally yet. I haven't seen one that I am confident that the position and stability of the analog is 100%. I think it's too early to start doing big implant cases on digital models. I'm fine to do single units all day long though.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I have 3shape model builder. I am looking for a way to process the Straumann scan body cases. Straumann is going around telling doctors that lab milled abutments are second hand garbage pretty much and then they sell them their scan body kit, so Straumann gets their implant business through the lab. It's crap and causing me headaches. If I had my choice, I would get the doctor the NT kit and mill the abutments in house. The Straumann kit is integrated into 3M and Itero, but 3M nor Itero make the models. Itero has a company in Germany that makes the models. To process the cases though, you have to have Straumann's software kit or Dental Wings to get the file prepped to have the models made from Meditech(in Germany). I'm still working on a way around, but it doesn't look too promising.

If it's printed (as would be the case with 3M) then yes it comes from Meditech. If it's milled then it would come from Itero in Mexico. You would need to be an Itero Cad partner to use this workflow. When the doc scans with the Straumann scan body you have to choose on the Itero software what you want. I'm not familiar with the 3M workflow. You purchase the repositionable analog from Straumann and it fits precisely into the Itero model. You can design the abutment and the crown at the same time if you do the Xtreme crown.

The only way to get around this that I'm aware of is to use Core 3D's scan body...it works with most of the popular IOS scanners. They have a huge selection of scan bodies. You could just have them send you the printed model with the analog or you can have them send back the model and abutment (similar to the DENTSPLY workflow).

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
The Itero workflow is just long. Appears that Atlantis is doing this now with their FLO system and Itero IOS system. The whole problem is the fact that Straumann is pushing these scan body kits on doctor's and not telling them how much of a hassle it is to get the models made. Then they come to the lab and say, "Hey, we can sell you this software to do the model builder software for these cases, since you can't with 3shape yet."

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would want to see the design of the digital analog.
I'm telling you that this is an issue that I have had with the Core 3D analogs.

If the analog pushes up through the model from the bottom then it is very likely you will encounter problems in the mouth.

Yo have to make sure it is fully positioned which is difficult to verify from the design.

I much prefer the NT Trading analogs from Argen because they lock in place with a screw on nut in the bottom and they insert from the occlusion.

They are reusable so they are very cost effective.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I would want to see the design of the digital analog.
I'm telling you that this is an issue that I have had with the Core 3D analogs.

If the analog pushes up through the model from the bottom then it is very likely you will encounter problems in the mouth.

Yo have to make sure it is fully positioned which is difficult to verify from the design.

I much prefer the NT Trading analogs from Argen because they lock in place with a screw on nut in the bottom and they insert from the occlusion.

They are reusable so they are very cost effective.

I agree about the Core 3D analogs...I have to tak them in place at the bottom with some super glue or light cure. Trying to do a waxup on the abutment is a pain since if you want to take it out of the analog you must unscrew it or just don't use the screw. I also find the printed models not to be as accurate as the milled.
I like the Straumann analogs a lot better since I can remove it by pushing up from the bottom like a die. I think these analogs are about $35 ea. and they are reusable.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I agree about the Core 3D analogs...I have to tak them in place at the bottom with some super glue or light cure. Trying to do a waxup on the abutment is a pain since if you want to take it out of the analog you must unscrew it or just don't use the screw. I also find the printed models not to be as accurate as the milled.
I like the Straumann analogs a lot better since I can remove it by pushing up from the bottom like a die. I think these analogs are about $35 ea. and they are reusable.
If Straumann had a distributor for the models in the US, it wouldn't be as bad.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
ha ha. We're pushing about 400 crowns out a day using 3shape with minimal problems. If they were that big of a problem, they wouldn't be up on top with the other dental systems.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
ha ha. We're pushing about 400 crowns out a day using 3shape with minimal problems. If they were that big of a problem, they wouldn't be up on top with the other dental systems.

yes, and you would not make any post here regarding a problem with 3shape.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
That's wishful thinking for all dental system users.

if i have 400 daily units i would not make any wishful thinking and for sure will not count on only one system for my scanners, i would have at least two or three more brands and different cad station.

and would not think too much b4 buying the CS2 as time would be the most precious thing i may waste in this case.

Top Bottom