Straumann headache! Please help with alternatives.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We are a 3shape lab. 3shape is not cheap. 3shape works and as long as you get it from a reseller that has great tech support, it is well worth it. Some others on here swear by exocad. I feel like exocad is like the Android of scanners where 3shape is like the Apple of scanners. Both work great and they are probably the two best systems to get into. Exocad is cheaper, but I think it requires more expertise on your end, while 3shape is pricier, but it is easier to pick up and use than Exocad(these are my general feelings from posts here on the DLN. i have no experience with exocad).

Whichever system you go with, make sure you get it from a reseller that has great tech support. We bought ours from Ivoclar. Their tech support was outstanding. Ivoclar doesn's sell scanners anymore and now Core3D is our tech support provider. They use the same people for their tech support so I haven't seen any difference in the support I get and am very happy. There are other resellers that offer great tech support also. I can't stress how important this is when you decide which system to buy and who you buy it from. Good Luck!

Like and Agree. My past example is Exocad is liken to Ubuntu, and 3Shape liken to Windows. The one, Exocad has more individual controls, the other, 3Shape doing more in steps, thus can have glitches. The best of both worlds for me would be to have one of each, as I can appreciate why some prefer Exocad.

Same support as you, and have been satisfied with them so far.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Like and Agree. My past example is Exocad is liken to Ubuntu, and 3Shape liken to Windows. The one, Exocad has more individual controls, the other, 3Shape doing more in steps, thus can have glitches. The best of both worlds for me would be to have one of each, as I can appreciate why some prefer Exocad.

Same support as you, and have been satisfied with them so far.
Would that make Dental Wings BeOS, and Cerac BSD?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I bought the inbox for Trios scans so I can receive them from my docs. I have exocad. It was a nightmare getting it setup. There are, evidently, many, many different ways to import and convert the files to .STL format in the inbox program. I got so many different versions from each person I spoke with at CAP/Shein, 3Shape and the trainers that were in the dental office that I almost gave n and had it removed. One person at CAP managed to get me on track and it has been straight forward since then. Open format for all would be nice. I get monetizing a product, but give me a break! To import the files into Exocad is simply "Fiind file, open file, import file."

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I bought the inbox for Trios scans so I can receive them from my docs. I have exocad. It was a nightmare getting it setup. There are, evidently, many, many different ways to import and convert the files to .STL format in the inbox program. I got so many different versions from each person I spoke with at CAP/Shein, 3Shape and the trainers that were in the dental office that I almost gave n and had it removed. One person at CAP managed to get me on track and it has been straight forward since then. Open format for all would be nice. I get monetizing a product, but give me a break! To import the files into Exocad is simply "Fiind file, open file, import file."

Almost on par with Sirona supposedly being "open" and trying to get a I/O scan into a stl, without either having the inlab software or getting it converted $$.
I also believe with sirona you have to buy$$ the ability to export a stl file to mill on a mill other than on a sirona mill?
It all truly needs to be opened up.

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
I can speak from experience that Straumann is NOT customer/user/lab-friendly. Their method for submitting cases is convoluted and difficult and their sales rep was a nightmare to us. Atlantis is the best implant company in my opinion. Easy to use interface, great product (with an even better warranty) and their customer service and sales reps are incredible!

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
Almost on par with Sirona supposedly being "open" and trying to get a I/O scan into a stl, without either having the inlab software or getting it converted $$.
I also believe with sirona you have to buy$$ the ability to export a stl file to mill on a mill other than on a sirona mill?
It all truly needs to be opened up.

That is correct. To gain the ability to export a file as an .stl in Sirona it is an add-on that costs almost $1000 annually. We were lead astray by this and have NOT been happy with Sirona inlab software or their reps misleading us as to its capabilities.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
It took Straumann about 4-5 months to return my credit after a case they remade. It was their fault and they admitted it, I never even received a case but I did receive an invoice. They always promised to resolve the issue the moment I called, then I get warning letters of unpaid invoice. Ridiculous. Just be aware that it takes them over a month to apply the credit, so be patient.

Right now I have another case to send to them but they have a shortage of SC platform Titanium blocks and the wait time is a month. I don't know what to say!

G

grantoz

Reaction score
more and more in our profession are moving away from straumann its a shame they were really good a few years back.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
TRU abutment.. there really isn’t much else to say..
TRU will treat you right