Straumann Bone Level abutments

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Would anyone know if there is a difference between the titanium used in the Straumann bone level temporary abutments and the titanium used in the ucla bone level abutments?

Is there documentation indicating the different grade of titanium used or do we just go on the word of the sales rep?

Obviously I would like to know if I could use the temp abutment interface instead of the more expensive ucla to fabricate a custom cast abutment.

Has anyone tried this? I know of a milling centre that uses the temp interface for screw retained zr abutments but the local rep pitches a fit when you ask him about the difference in cost!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
the UCLA is a gold alloy, not Ti.
Or have i misinterpreted your question?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
the UCLA is a gold alloy, not Ti.
Or have i misinterpreted your question?

No you are correct , so what is the temp abutment made from?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My other thought was to cast the abutment part in semi,opaque it, and then bond it to the interface.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Any reason not to just make a custom Cad abutment? Are you doing a screw-retained restoration? I would be skeptical about the strength of the abutment you are describing.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Any reason not to just make a custom Cad abutment? Are you doing a screw-retained restoration? I would be skeptical about the strength of the abutment you are describing.

The labial angulation won't allow for a screw retained zr abutment . Because of the angled labial wall ,a zirconia abutment's strength might be compromised and I'm concerned about the grey show through from the titanium.

I'm restoring both laterals.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Sorry rkm, but I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you post some pics or PM ?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
RKM, we have had good success using Atlantis's gold hued Ti abutments in cases where we can't use Zir. The gold color does not discolor the tissue and a zir coping will cover up the abutment. We have even used LT e.Max ingots on these cases as long as we have plenty of room on the labial.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Send it to me I will be nice and bang a nice Ti abutment out on the bone level at my cost plus shipping. PM me for details.

I always suggest when it comes to saving money there are good ways and bad ways, my offer good, your attempt to hack a ti abutment and cement BAD! :)

EDIT

I saw you want ZI I can make you a CEMENTED Zi on a proper base as well, wall thickness will need to be addressed but can be done in software once designed. Just let me know if I can help you out.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
RKM, we have had good success using Atlantis's gold hued Ti abutments in cases where we can't use Zir. The gold color does not discolor the tissue and a zir coping will cover up the abutment. We have even used LT e.Max ingots on these cases as long as we have plenty of room on the labial.

this sounds like an optimal choice, RKM. go go gadget gold!

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
I have seen some labs use the temp abutment-press e-max then cement them together with opaque cement. It blocks out the temp abutment pretty good.Then make e-max crown over that. But I'm not sure I trust the temp abutment, the company will tell you I'ts the same material as ucla.I have to agree with John- why try to cut corners when we can just outsource the abutment for less cost!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
or just order a TI insert and design a zr abutment or press your own emax abutment to cement over it.

straumann bone level ti inserts are readily available now.

Last edited:
Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
One other issue to consider is the difference in recomended torque values for titanium temp abutments (15Ncm) versus a UCLA (35Ncm).
Straumann does offer a titanium base in Europe but not in the US yet. With the titanium base you could press or mill a e.max "abutment" and bond the two together. paulg100 may be able to help you with the titanium base if you wanted to go that route.
Straumann also offers through and through e.max abutments, allowing you to bake right to the abutment and shape it as you like.
http://www.straumann.us/content/dam/internet/straumann_us/resources/brochurecatalogue/flyers/en/uslit-286-straumann-anatomic-ips-e-max-abutment-brochure/LIT286_EstheticsDesign_update2011.pdf

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
There's an idea. get a titanium insert from medentika flatten one side. wax and press an MO abutment. make a crown on top. I havnt done it but ivoclar are pretty confident about them.
As for the titanium temp abutnents they are fine for final crowns but make sure you send the case with clinical screws. they handle more torque before the head breaks off.

Scott's: get your implant company to send you msds sheets on temp cylinders and uclas. They're not the same.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thankyou for the suggestions and offers( John) everyone.

I gave it some thought over the weekend and looked at it this morning with fresh eyes. I think the best option is to press an mo emax abutment and cement to a titanium insert.I may stiil be able to create a screw retained crown this way . I could even "beef up" the abutment and fabricate a veneer or 3/4 crown if I can't make a screw retained.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this...DLN rules!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'll try to post some pics.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Thankyou for the suggestions and offers( John) everyone.

I gave it some thought over the weekend and looked at it this morning with fresh eyes. I think the best option is to press an mo emax abutment and cement to a titanium insert.I may stiil be able to create a screw retained crown this way . I could even "beef up" the abutment and fabricate a veneer or 3/4 crown if I can't make a screw retained.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this...DLN rules!

I agree, sometimes we have to back off and let it digest before moving forward. I did find it confusing the way it was initially presented. Doing it this way though would depend on the angulation and the amount of vertical material as someone mentioned earlier. Best of luck with it, and do post some pics.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I don't understand this. Straumann makes a waxing coping for their angled multibase abutment
(25 degrees) so you can screw-retained to the angled abutment still. Just how occlusal is the
implant platform? Was this a BLI placed too close to the top?
LCM

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I don't understand this. Straumann makes a waxing coping for their angled multibase abutment
(25 degrees) so you can screw-retained to the angled abutment still. Just how occlusal is the
implant platform? Was this a BLI placed too close to the top?
LCM

While I do not know the specifics on this case what I do know is that most transmucosal angle abutments are huge and really not designed for single screw retained single units. Most of these abutments we designed for multiple unit cases. While every once in a while I have done them on this I am never thrilled with a double connection and a small occ screw retaining it. Compound that with the fact that most angle abutments are going to place some off axis load to the fixture and thus the screw; it’s likely the restoration will come untorqued with the light amount of force that is used to torque these screws.