Stratasys J5 DentaJet

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these Stratasys J5 DentaJet printers. If so, care to share how it is working for you?

D

Deena8484

Reaction score
anyone/??? I would also like to know

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i know another lab owner with it and he LOVES it

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We have a J5 and 2 J3 printers and we use and love them (To be transparent we are now also distributors of these printers, but we own stratasys printers way before we partnered with them).
Originally had 1 Eden machine then went to 2 and then upgraded to a J5 when it was released. The build circle gives a lot more room in a small footprint which is the best part.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
That J3 looks pretty nice. I like the concept for printing large amount of models overnight etc. Not sure what the price is but I image its a pretty penny.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
We have a J5 and 2 J3 printers and we use and love them (To be transparent we are now also distributors of these printers, but we own stratasys printers way before we partnered with them).
Originally had 1 Eden machine then went to 2 and then upgraded to a J5 when it was released. The build circle gives a lot more room in a small footprint which is the best part.
We've had pretty lousy experiences with Stratasys and aren't likely to get back into polyjet printing any time soon, but I do have to admit that the radial build platform approach on the J5 is very neat. Does it impose any weird conditions or limitations? Like, does the effective resolution vary from the inner to outer build area edges? What kind of neat things can you do with the multi-material aspect that you can't do on a standard resin printer? I know about the anatomical model aspect, which is pretty cool by itself.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I agree. Lots of questions. with that radial build and 2 or three machines you could produce a crazy amount of models.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We've had pretty lousy experiences with Stratasys and aren't likely to get back into polyjet printing any time soon, but I do have to admit that the radial build platform approach on the J5 is very neat. Does it impose any weird conditions or limitations? Like, does the effective resolution vary from the inner to outer build area edges? What kind of neat things can you do with the multi-material aspect that you can't do on a standard resin printer? I know about the anatomical model aspect, which is pretty cool by itself.
can you tell us about the poor experiences youve had?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
We have an Objet.... 700? iirc. Grievances include: Poor reliability with a lot of downtime, high per-part costs, equipment consumables are pricey, closed ecosystem (or at least very limited material availability),slow and/or labour-intensive post-processing that requires tubs of lye hanging around the lab, a very low permissible part height that often prevented us from printing many models on it, etc. To be fair, some of these grievances lie with the vendor, who deliberately mislead us about operating costs and consumables and provided poor support overall, but we were still unimpressed with the printer itself. I'd say the unique benefits (support-free printing, very large build plate dimensions, multiple materials) didn't offset the downsides for us. People seem to look more favourably on their currently-supported printers nowadays, so I'd assume polyjet printing has improved somewhat, or at least isn't the dead-end printing technique that I previously viewed polyjet printing as.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Sucks you have had bad experiences, when we first got our 260 (8 years ago or so now) we did have some hiccups but learned with the technicians how to fix the machine and do a bunch of preventative maintenance to keep it running smooth.

For the multi material we don't use it a whole lot honestly, we did a couple things with hard soft combos but right now we mainly use it for throughput, it gets through a ton of models on a small footprint. And we have run EXTENSIVE testing for the accuracy and center to outside ring its essentially consistent (Minor fluctuations but on a small scale that doesn't effect the product)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We have an Objet.... 700? iirc. Grievances include: Poor reliability with a lot of downtime, high per-part costs, equipment consumables are pricey, closed ecosystem (or at least very limited material availability),slow and/or labour-intensive post-processing that requires tubs of lye hanging around the lab, a very low permissible part height that often prevented us from printing many models on it, etc. To be fair, some of these grievances lie with the vendor, who deliberately mislead us about operating costs and consumables and provided poor support overall, but we were still unimpressed with the printer itself. I'd say the unique benefits (support-free printing, very large build plate dimensions, multiple materials) didn't offset the downsides for us. People seem to look more favourably on their currently-supported printers nowadays, so I'd assume polyjet printing has improved somewhat, or at least isn't the dead-end printing technique that I previously viewed polyjet printing as.
ah ok, that makes sense. i know of some other labs that were also very unhappy with their older objet printers too. the j3 and j5 printers seem to have a fairly positive following. guess im playing devils advocate trying to find issues where there may not be many!

V

vdH

Reaction score
Ive spoken with stratasys people that shall not be named. Their take: the materials arent ready for prime time. Think sub PMMA single cross linked.

Top Bottom