stock denture tooth libraries and making new ones

C

caninecommando

Reaction score
I'm trying to implement a digital workflow for my dentures that uses stock denture teeth. The problem I'm running into is that exocad doesn't have a single tooth library for any of the teeth lines that my company uses. I found a download for an exocad Tooth Model Editor 2016 (Version 2.0) Engine build 6136 (2017-04-10). Is it feasible to use my Medit i500 to scan the tooth cards so that this model editor can then turn them into libraries for exocad? I have matching tray covers and gloves, so I was thinking it should be feasible to use the i500 scanner to scan the teeth individually in my hand and the glove and backing tray cover would just get ignored by the scanner, right? It seems like a monumental undertaking to do this with all my tooth cards and I was a bit surprised (I guess ignorant) that these libraries aren't already included in the software since they're all relatively popular tooth lines and exocad allows for use of stock denture teeth. Any input on this is extremely helpful.

The teeth I carry are:
New Shade Plus
New Hue
Image APN
Ivoclar Vivodent

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Tooth Model Editor is software for making tooth libraries for C&B type restorations. There is a separate prosthetic tooth library software for the denture teeth libraries.

I've made a couple of C&B libraries for exocad. It's a lot of work, at least a few days worth and mine aren't as dialed in as the ones that come with exocad.
So between making those libraries and reading the instructions on making a prosthetic tooth library for exocad, I'd say monumental undertaking for sure. Not only will you need to scan all the teeth separately for each of the tooth cards, but you will also have to set up each arch with those teeth and scan it.
So to save you from a long, hard, expedition into the belly of CAD.
I learned that the typical denture teeth used in analog methods are not consistent enough to use in a CAD library and get predictable results. The tolerances of the molds used to manufacture analog method teeth are nowhere near what is needed for digital work flow.
If you want to implement digital and use manufactured teeth, find teeth you like in digital libraries and purchase those cards. There are several companies making them now

If you are hell bent on using the 4 you mentioned. You could go through the scanning of the cards, setting up the arches in occlusion and scanning those to make your own libraries for exocad.
You will have to mill the teeth to get predictable results. You can customize the libraries to have scalable teeth or not. It is also possible to connect the teeth as a full arch or the front six and posterior quads or any combination you want to include all singles.

I don't want to be discouraging. If you are the DIY type, do it. At least one library. It's a great learning experience and will give you insight into how the software works.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There's not much to add to @2thm8kr 's post.

But. The reason the teeth are nowhere near accurate enough to do what you want is the injection molding process.
The moulds are used for a few thousand times and then discarded. Each tooth coming out of the mould is slightly larger than the teeth before it and the teeth after it wll be larger as well.

It's a greatly fun project, and will give you loads of understanding, just don't expect it to be useful unless you will be milling teeth out of PMMA pucks.

You can use the library and mill wax and do normal old school lost wax with the teeth by flasking, just don't expect things to look in your hand the way they do on the screen. And you'll still have to fiddle the teeth into place as the teeth made for what you're doing come as cards to be put into the mill for the basal surface to be adjusted as needed by the mill.

I'd do it just for the fun. (yes, I'm crazy)

If you do it, please keep a log/record of the journey. In 6 weeks you may find that has answers you needed and forgot.