STL files on MeshMixer

M

Martin Bubez

Reaction score
I have been making digital models for STL files for a surgeon. He then imports these STL files into mesh mixer. When I open both the upper and lower scans in 3shape they automatically articulate in occlusion. However, when he then imports the two files into mesh mixer they're not in occlusion. Any ideas what's going on?
He asked if I'm doing anything differently, which I am not, and apparently neither is he, but he said they used to occluded automatically.
Any help?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this is where the 3shape dongle is such a pain in the butt. it is a dongle thing.

its not meshmixer, its not the 3shape program and theres nothing you can do to change it, not even calling 3shape. they will just hang up on you.

what you can do is use another 3rd party tool to align both stl files according to the bite scan. for some people GOM works. for others, the built in software for imetric, DOF, Medit, or DentalWings can do this. sadly, 3shape cannot (or will not)

M

Martin Bubez

Reaction score
Yes. I am beginning to see more and more limitations with the 3shape dental designer.
Just an idea, could I give him a raw bite scan file? Then would he be able to align it to the models in meshmixer?

On another note, does anyone have much experience with the TRIOS system? I've exported scans from their scanner as STL files but for some reason when he opens one scan file it's ok, then if he tries to open 2 files it crashes his meshmixer.
Very bizarre and confusing.
Hope I've been clear enough in explaining my issues.

Thanks guys

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If the DCm file have coordinates in them and they are converted to stl they still carry them. The files used must not have the bite coordinates in them. Knowing how to use 3shape is a muct and what files carry and do not carry coordinates.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes. I am beginning to see more and more limitations with the 3shape dental designer.
Just an idea, could I give him a raw bite scan file? Then would he be able to align it to the models in meshmixer?

On another note, does anyone have much experience with the TRIOS system? I've exported scans from their scanner as STL files but for some reason when he opens one scan file it's ok, then if he tries to open 2 files it crashes his meshmixer.
Very bizarre and confusing.
Hope I've been clear enough in explaining my issues.

Thanks guys
meshmixer isn't fantastic for aligning vector data such as stl to begin with. you'll find very few programs out there with such a capability. GOM Inspection freeware will do this. it will take some trial and error to get it right. once you align your files, remember to export them again as stl, which will save the co-ordinates correctly.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I am working with Trios scans daily, some office would send exported stl files, others an 3OX file. Never had any issues with alignments, 99% of the cases are properly aligned according to the byte reg. Tried to import a few scans in Meshmixer and it all went well, couldn't replicate the issues you have. Dontknow

It is super easy to do in Meshlab (prolly in Meshmixer as well),made how to video, download it from here

D

DIItech

Reaction score
this is where the 3shape dongle is such a pain in the butt. it is a dongle thing.

its not meshmixer, its not the 3shape program and theres nothing you can do to change it, not even calling 3shape. they will just hang up on you.

what you can do is use another 3rd party tool to align both stl files according to the bite scan. for some people GOM works. for others, the built in software for imetric, DOF, Medit, or DentalWings can do this. sadly, 3shape cannot (or will not)
Did the doctor merge the 2 mesh into 1 mesh Save as 1 stl file? I had the issue so I solve the problem merge them into 1 mesh and save it as stl

F

ferly

Reaction score
Did the doctor merge the 2 mesh into 1 mesh Save as 1 stl file? I had the issue so I solve the problem merge them into 1 mesh and save it as stl
Hi !
Can you tell me how to merge the 2 mesh into 1 mesh ? what software that you used?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi !
Can you tell me how to merge the 2 mesh into 1 mesh ? what software that you used?
So this thread is on the topic of meshmixer. I would say he probably used meshmixer. Its as easy as selecting both meshes, click combine.

This makes two meshes into one. There are other options, for examle if you want to subtract one mesh from another that sits in the same co ordinate system you can use boolean subtract.