Stl files in color

H

Highland

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if there is a way to export CEREC files to 3shape in color? I have new dr and I cant find his margins unless I can see the difference between the prep and tissue. thank you

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
STL does not encode color, other formats (like OBJ for example) do...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
When you import the original cerec file, are you able to see the margins then, before converting it into a STL?
In the past, I'd take a screenshot (snipping tool) of his marked margins before converting, and use it for reference. In 3Shape, flip the die upside down
and it may help you get a better idea of where the margin is. You can mark the margins from the flipped view.

Capture - Copy.PNG

cerec margins.JPG

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
As of now only carestream ply comes into 3shape with color, but in the 2020 release color will be on mainly most PLY files, iTero, Medit, Carestream, etc. STL' files carry no color. You must be able to get the scans in a PLY format if you want to see color starting in 2020.

H

Highland

Reaction score
Thank you yes I’ve been using two computers one with 3shape the other CEREC to compare the scans it works just hoping there was another way.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thank you yes I’ve been using two computers one with 3shape the other CEREC to compare the scans it works just hoping there was another way.
Another thing you can do is open the color scan in windows 3D builder and do a split screen and mark it that way. This is where a dual monitor setup comes in handy. This will only work if you can get a ply out of cerec.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
When you import the original cerec file, are you able to see the margins then, before converting it into a STL?
In the past, I'd take a screenshot (snipping tool) of his marked margins before converting, and use it for reference. In 3Shape, flip the die upside down
and it may help you get a better idea of where the margin is. You can mark the margins from the flipped view.

View attachment 35994

View attachment 35995
how is the real fit of such a crown? this scan looks like a bad impression, this color helps, but I wonder the truth.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm betting the margins weren't spot on ;) Maybe that's why he only does a handful of these a year, everything else is chairside sirona or PVS, which he
does a really nice job with.

Top Bottom