Sterilizing Impressions

L

LongIslandLab

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a very small lab with a handfull of small accounts that still take inpressions. To safeguard myself and staff I spray a 10% bleach solution into each bag then place impressions,bites, anything in bag into a 10% bleach solution. I cannot find any other disinfectant solution but I remember when HIV started to explode the bleach solution was recommended. Anyone else using this or another method they would recommend?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We used bleach solution back then. I can't remember if it was 7 or 10%+. We had a dunk tank (small cooler) and the impression and everything else that could be put in there from the case pan went in for 'X' time. I never contracted HIV, hep A,B,C or anything else when we used that method. Not proof it works, only anecdotal.

*edit
The tank was changed daily at a minimum since chlorine is unstable and breaks down quickly. Sometimes several times a day depending on the case load.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ethanol based products kill life !

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yes, but the flash point of ethanol makes it somewhat risky. Chlorine kills everything as well.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
thumbnail_20200320_104535.jpgThis is what I use, immerse and wait 3 minutes. I wait a little more just in case.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Ethanol based products kill life !
I bought several jugs of denatured alcohol past night since it her products have been hoarded and are in short supply.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I bought several jugs of denatured alcohol past night since it her products have been hoarded and are in short supply.
Did you stock up on potatoes?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of 28% clorhexidine and another 5 gal of 99.9% IPA, that will last for a very long time... looks like ppl were not aware and it was still on stock, ready made sanitizers were long gone

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Got some pure calcium carbonate from a wine-kit store, will going to experiment gelling the alcohol with calcium acetate

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just got a spare gallon of Cavicide last month. Was 'down' to 3/4 gallon. New bottle of wipes beginning of the month.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Any labs getting calls to donate PPE to the hospital or Health Dept? I have heard of Practice Owners getting these calls.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
The 1 to 10 solution of bleach and water is the best disinfecting solution for our job but it has serious drawbacks. It attack chrome cobalt with a vengence. It is corrosive to other metals. It's fumes are hazardous to your lungs. The link was for the SARS outbreak but is still relevant today. https://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/useofbleach.htm