Starter scanner

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Hello. I’m considering diving into purchasing a 3shape. I’m a one man lab, and do C&B, ceramics, partials and dentures. No ortho to speak of, no implants. Currently I do my model work and out source the zirconia milling and designing. For about a month now have been getting locally printed models but only for nightguards. Quality is just ok for printed models in my opinion. Will try Argen for printed next. The goal is to start learning the new technology to stay relevant. I’m 55, and have been resisting going this route. I wasn’t really planning to work until I am 65 or beyond. BUT!
I don’t need/want top of the line and entry level is always out of the question for me. It’s not about money for me, frankly could care less about the dollars. But it’s senseless to purchase with all the whistles and bells like super sonic speed if it's not going to get used or doesn’t create value. Meaning time is my own in the lab. If the works there I can be there 24/7 and love every minute of it. So, E2 or E3? Search for a used one or purchase new? I’m leaning to E3, I like color and the ever so slight better accuracy. I will still punt for milling and printing. Suggestions?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
3shape is good if you want to pay yearly fees. If not go with a exocad based scanner.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
3shape is definitely the easier choice. Im not against 3shape, Ive used a 3shape for 7+ years with no issues, still going strong.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Save $$$ and go Exocad, and remember your buying Support not just a scanner ! I would suggest checking out the Medit ,DOF and AG scanners.
In my years of scanning I've known 3 labs using 3Shape and changed years later to Exocad. All 3 labs are members on DLN and were glad they changed to Exocad. At this time I don't know anyone using Exocad and changing to 3Shape. Since your also doing partial/dentures, and thinking CAD is in your future, may want to research which one has an advantage, and maybe there equal in Cad software as far as partial- dentures ?

John, your 55, so don't let another month pass without ordering a scanner. Whatever you do this year in Cad design will increase a lot next year plus more and more dentists will be using IOS. Either platform, 3shape or Exocad will fit right into your 1 man show so you can't go wrong either way.
Lastly, look at the total picture of buying a scanner, scanner price, plus total module cost, yearly license fee with 3shape as compared to yearly Update-Support fee with Exocad. Exocad Update/Support is not required to be paid yearly unlike with 3Shape. Your saving in milling cost will more than pay your lease payment on the scanner. As far as buying used scanner, I would not recommend at all, repairs can be expense on older scanners and most new scanners come with a 2 or 3 year warranty plus scanning speed is much faster on newer models.

Last edited:
B

Bryce D

Reaction score
Argen has great support and they have several options to help get you started with a scanner.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Where in Canada are you located?

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Call Emerald they sell Medit scanners with exocad. That would be an economical way to start.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
My curiosity wonders is exocad, and 3shape equal in terms of design quality and learning curve? Each will say theirs is better but what do the people in the trenches say? Maybe someone with experience on both systems?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
My curiosity wonders is exocad, and 3shape equal in terms of design quality and learning curve? Each will say theirs is better but what do the people in the trenches say? Maybe someone with experience on both systems?
Can't speak for 3shape, but after using a host of scanners and software since the late 1990's until 2015, Exocad didn't present any more significant a learning curve than any other and was more user friendly than most. As I've noted in other threads, DOF HD is a very good scanner and would recommend you look into it. Exocad: no being nickle and dimed to death- buy a module, it's yours. Your maintenance fee to your support provides good support AND your updates for the modules you own. Don't want to pay for support? No problem, but you won't have support or updates if you care but your system continues to work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I hate to bring a 'for now' into this, but with Exo being bought... Lots is up in the air for the future.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
call Argen and explain your needs. They are in the business of supporting lab owners such as yourself.
That's what I did and I'm still around .
If saving $10/day is more important then go with exocad.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I hate to bring a 'for now' into this, but with Exo being bought... Lots is up in the air for the future.
if its the sirona acquisition you're referring to, i'd say theres nothing really in it for the foreseeable future.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Tillman was very clear in saying that Exocad will not change. Align only owns a piece of it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Your best bet John is contact several resellers to get names of several labs with so called scanner. Take a few days off visiting labs while they scan and design for 2 hours or so. You will also notice some techs are faster at designing. Seeing first hand is the only way to fully understand the software differences. Any reseller can do a Teamviewer to demonstrate designing but that will not answer your questions, but open your eyes to Cad designing.
Considering the way a scanner will and can drastically change your lab, I would strongly recommend spending time in several labs before ordering and deciding what modules to buy.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Teamviewering (is that a word now?) is good to show what can be achived, but less about how. The complex looks easy in the hands of the skilled.

I've seen plenty of youtube vids, but it didn;t click (for how my head works anyway) until @sidesh0wb0b let me barge in one day.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Teamviewering (is that a word now?) is good to show what can be achived, but less about how. The complex looks easy in the hands of the skilled.

I've seen plenty of youtube vids, but it didn;t click (for how my head works anyway) until @sidesh0wb0b let me barge in one day.

Especially if they're using a 3D mouse along with a normal mouse on TeamViewer. A person could be a little perplexed with the lack of speed and efficiency that they aren't getting in their lab?

Last edited: