Split bridge cutoff issues.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Is there a way to get around this? Short of extending the bi all the way into the Pontic and doing a plane cut in line with the insertion direction of the female part which seems very glitchy and not fun to do, I don’t know how to get around this. The insertion directions on this are quite different, you’d expect 3shape though to automatically fill in the contours of the male part into where that Pontic got cut, but instead it just creates this monstrosity.

Attachments

• 0B60CC5C-0077-456B-BE77-5710B3B8E720.jpeg
    0B60CC5C-0077-456B-BE77-5710B3B8E720.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 28
  • CBE80FD3-BB82-42CD-AA6B-384F877525AF.jpeg
    CBE80FD3-BB82-42CD-AA6B-384F877525AF.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 27
  • D3155717-DFAA-4812-AD7D-8C5965617644.jpeg
    D3155717-DFAA-4812-AD7D-8C5965617644.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 28
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of these, But maybe alter the inter-proximal areas of the design and hope that changes it. Also insertion path and occlusal plane have a roll.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of these, But maybe alter the inter-proximal areas of the design and hope that changes it. Also insertion path and occlusal plane have a roll.
I tried altering the interproximals but the software cuts out based on the insertion direction of the female part of the bridge, I’m able to get slightly better results bringing the interproximal of the male part up into the Pontic, but I’m sacrificing the whole point of the split bridge which is a precision attachment. It kind of seems like a new way they calculate split bridges because I don’t remember it being like this in 2017 3shape, it’s rare to actually have to do these things though so my memories a bit hazy.
Also what do you mean insertion path and occlusal plane have a roll?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I just realized that if I make the interproximals between the male and female parts parallel with the insertion direction of the female part it will make the cut strait up and down instead of cutting into the Pontic at an angle. I’m gonna try this out tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Also what do you mean insertion path and occlusal plane have a roll?
Path of insertion and at the begining of design you can use the occlusal plane and level the bite on the even plane. Round disk with teeth layouts. This plays a role in a lot of things.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Path of insertion and at the begining of design you can use the occlusal plane and level the bite on the even plane. Round disk with teeth layouts. This plays a role in a lot of things.
I’ve messed with the occlusal plane a bunch, I’ve literally had it to where it was completely horizontal, completely off, and excursions always come out the same regardless where you set that in the beginning stage. What stuff does the occlusal plane setting effect?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
These are a nightmare in 3shape, I believe 3shapes function to create them doesnt work. Create the bridge like two cantelievers, add an attachment to one side and then use cut to contact (I believe) to get it close. The stock attachment isn't going to be robust enough though. One way or another, you have a lot of manual sculpting ahead of you

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
These are a nightmare in 3shape, I believe 3shapes function to create them doesnt work. Create the bridge like two cantelievers, add an attachment to one side and then use cut to contact (I believe) to get it close. The stock attachment isn't going to be robust enough though. One way or another, you have a lot of manual sculpting ahead of you
That sounds like a complete nightmare to do, but if it ends up being my only workaround I’ll try it that way lol. Because of the spaces the bridge has to work with it just so happens that the interproximal of the molar matches up with the insertion direction of the bi, so I’m going to switch it around so the male part is on the molar instead and as far as I can tell that should fix it.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
That sounds like a complete nightmare to do, but if it ends up being my only workaround I’ll try it that way lol. Because of the spaces the bridge has to work with it just so happens that the interproximal of the molar matches up with the insertion direction of the bi, so I’m going to switch it around so the male part is on the molar instead and as far as I can tell that should fix it.
Good luck, it is not a fun process but it can be accomplished. That is the only way I found that worked

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I’ve messed with the occlusal plane a bunch, I’ve literally had it to where it was completely horizontal, completely off, and excursions always come out the same regardless where you set that in the beginning stage. What stuff does the occlusal plane setting effect?
Each module has different effects.
Design, helps the smile libraries in certain cases,
Model builder how the model bases are set and the path of the die and where the articulator is initially placed.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Model builder how the model bases are set and the path of the die and where the articulator is initially placed.

If you want your dies to come in at all sorts of weird angles, forget to set your plane of occlusion. Been there done that a couple of times.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I was talking specifically design, I always set it for model building and splint software. Wasn’t aware it affected initial tooth placement in design though.