Software for aligners

M

mohsin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for software for clear aligners, any recommendations or advice...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Maestro3D ortho. Easy to use and reasonably priced.
Also can design bracket matrices for bonding all at once.

Scheu Ministar thermoformer:Top:

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I have experience with both the Maestro3D ortho and 3Shape, both have their strengths and weaknesses. For price Maestro is the way to go it is much cheaper to run. 3Shape has been better quality wise, in my experience, but there is a a few things that are tedious and not as efficient, and the price is a lot higher.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I use 3Shape OrthoAnalyzer, can't comment on any other software for this purpose but OA works well for me. Has a few quirks but don't all softwares?

How are you making them at the moment?

I also use the Scheu CA Clear Aligner CA Smart software......old school cut and stick technique. Using the Photo support and CA checker its the most accurate and consistent system. The dentist has to supply you with one impression per month and the aligners are made for that month only.

Not surprisingly there are not many dentists willing to do this and most go for the "here's the impression, can you make me enough aligners for six months from this".Banghead

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi Garry B,

I've never heard of the scheu software, is it the same as Orthoanalyzer for moving teeth.

Why do you use both and why can't you design aligners for 3months rather then 1 month at a time?

Thanks

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Hi Garry B,

I've never heard of the scheu software, is it the same as Orthoanalyzer for moving teeth.

Why do you use both and why can't you design aligners for 3months rather then 1 month at a time?

Thanks

The Scheu photo smart is not a software program such as OrthoAnalyzer where you can configure a scan of a model or intra oral scan and digitally move the teeth.

Using it along side the photo support (basically a holder for a camera that is calibrated for size and distance) and the CA checker (a small device with a positioning sensor inside to calculate the angle of the teeth),a plaster model is first photographed from various angles and the images stored in the photo smart software. The models are then hand sectioned and the teeth re positioned (using various techniques). The teeth distances and angles can be very accurately measured using the equipment and comparisons of the images can be made into a treatment plan.

You can actually plan for three months of moves this way but it is obviously better to get a new impression each month.

I use both systems because my dentists want both systems. The OrthoAnalyzer is quicker and easier but the results are not as consistent as they are with the Scheu system.
As I said earlier, not many dentists are willing to take one impression a month and prefer the six months treatment from one impression......which is less reliable.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
The Scheu photo smart is not a software program such as OrthoAnalyzer where you can configure a scan of a model or intra oral scan and digitally move the teeth.

Using it along side the photo support (basically a holder for a camera that is calibrated for size and distance) and the CA checker (a small device with a positioning sensor inside to calculate the angle of the teeth),a plaster model is first photographed from various angles and the images stored in the photo smart software. The models are then hand sectioned and the teeth re positioned (using various techniques). The teeth distances and angles can be very accurately measured using the equipment and comparisons of the images can be made into a treatment plan.

You can actually plan for three months of moves this way but it is obviously better to get a new impression each month.

I use both systems because my dentists want both systems. The OrthoAnalyzer is quicker and easier but the results are not as consistent as they are with the Scheu system.
As I said earlier, not many dentists are willing to take one impression a month and prefer the six months treatment from one impression......which is less reliable.

Hi GerryB,

Thanks for your descriptive reply, its very interesting to me as I'm looking at getting Orthoanalyzer to move the teeth for aligners.

For the CA checker you mentioned have you ever tried sectioning teeth manually from a printed model (incase you get a digital scan from Dentist). I've sectioned printed models before and found it a messy procedure (hardness & toxics not as easy workability then plaster).

I plan to use composite attachments through Orthoanalyzer software (supplying dentists with manual made transfer composite trays). Do you design composite attachments through the Orthoanalyzer software or have you any advice regarding the ease of using the attachments etc.

I also wonder would the attachments be compatible with the CA photo smart.

Thanks,

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Hi GerryB,

Thanks for your descriptive reply, its very interesting to me as I'm looking at getting Orthoanalyzer to move the teeth for aligners.

For the CA checker you mentioned have you ever tried sectioning teeth manually from a printed model (incase you get a digital scan from Dentist). I've sectioned printed models before and found it a messy procedure (hardness & toxics not as easy workability then plaster).

I plan to use composite attachments through Orthoanalyzer software (supplying dentists with manual made transfer composite trays). Do you design composite attachments through the Orthoanalyzer software or have you any advice regarding the ease of using the attachments etc.

I also wonder would the attachments be compatible with the CA photo smart.

Thanks,

OrthoAnalyzer is very good software for moving teeth and once you get the hang of it its simple to use.

I've never sectioned a printed model, as all of my Scheu CA clients send me impressions.

When I use the Scheu system, the dentist bonds the attachments prior to taking the impression.....so I don't have to do that at my end. When I'm setting up with OrthoAnalyzer to produce a series of aligners I don't use attachments. It's just something I don't do. If someone wants attachments I insist they use the Scheu system. This shows me that they have a certain level of understanding and knowledge about what they are doing.

I know people who use the attachments in OA and say it works well.

Any attachment is compatible with photo smart as the photo smart is more a way of measuring and recording tooth movements and not actually moving the teeth.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Open to the idea of incorporating aligners to my product line. What kind of profit margin are we talking here say compared to the profit margin of a monolithic zirconia crown. I know this is kinda vague since everyone's fees vary. What is the range of fees being charged for a set of aligners. Again I know this varies on the number of aligners used. Thanks