Soap Model Finishing

O

OrthoSleepSup

Reaction score
We sand our soap models by hand...do any of you have a quicker and more wrist-friendly way to remove scratches from the model trimmer? I was looking for a 12" stickie abrasive disc with a fine grit for the model trimmer but can't find one, not sure if I would have enough control for fine finishing anyway. Would appreciate any input!!!

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Saw a homemade rig once where they had taken a electric hand belt sander and made a cabinet for it with only the sander base sticking up and they had a rheostat on it so they could slow it to the speed they needed. Don't know what grit was on it but it was very fine.

Don't think OSHA would check off on this now without a ton of safety devices on board.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
1. Use the model trimmer for gross trimming.
2. Once you are almost there, slide the cast on the flat edge a little
when it is trimming and then do that with light pressure to remove
the scratches.
3. Make sure the angle is done right (90degree) on the adjustable
table to avoid wasting time.
4. Wet and dry sand paper at 320 grit usually is enough, place it
flat on the counter top and hold the cast like a plane.
5. Repeat with finer grit wet-dry sandpaper if needed.
6. Soak in soap per usual.
Just my 2 cents' worth.
LCM

O

OrthoSleepSup

Reaction score
Thanks all! We have the 320 grit and i use light pressure on the base to remove scratches, but not the sides, I will try that and see if it saves time. Thanks!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Can I ask the guys doing full finish study models why they are doing them?

It always seemed to me there was no money compared to the amount of time it took to do them right.

Whats the going rate to do these now days? I thought digital was going to do away with this?????

O

OrthoSleepSup

Reaction score
We switched to a diamond wheel on the model trimmer and our sanding time is cut drastically. They are expensive but worth it in the long run. Thanks!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
And what's the purpose of sanding? What function does it serve. It certainly does no infringe upon studying the anatomical structures.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Models wear dresses, its CAST work ;-)

thats for all the techs out there that learned the trade in the military.....there was a certain instructor at Sheppard AFB that was anal about that.... wont mention her name hahahaha.....

rex
--------

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I had a gig once where we provided additive reductive models and diagnostic waxups that sold for $30 a unit. So everything got sanded then brushed with floor wax. The models and waxups looked beautiful. The best paper we found for the job was the high grit paper with foam backing. The foam kept the paper together well as it was almost always some wet sanding. These things were so nice I wish I had some photos to share. I'm talking about sanding the bases, not the casts. The casts and waxups did get the floor polish though, beautiful.

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
So other than to look pretty, what purpose does it serve?

ortho artist

ortho artist

Reaction score
Can I ask the guys doing full finish study models why they are doing them?

It always seemed to me there was no money compared to the amount of time it took to do them right.

Whats the going rate to do these now days? I thought digital was going to do away with this?????

I realize this post is abt 6 mos old, but had to respond because it has affected us quite a bit: Medicaid now REQUIRES stone study models to review cases before approving them.

ortho artist

ortho artist

Reaction score
So other than to look pretty, what purpose does it serve?

None. Dr.s just like to do case presentation with professional looking CASTS (there ya go, Rex). It would be great if they would send professionally taken impressions, though. It's amazing how much anatomy they expect us to guestimate.:crazy:

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
I use a dual model trimmer, diamond disc on one side. Fine sanding on the other, in fact I have 2 of them one at each sink. Dont waste time hand sanding invest in time saving. Gosh I think thats my new business motto. Hehe

S

Sune

Reaction score
We have gone completely to digital study models, giving all our customers 3Shape OrthoAnalyzer for free. We charge same price for a digital modelset as for a regular soap finished plaster model.
It works - they love it - all are happy :grouphug:

Top Bottom