Soaking Models in water?

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Quick hopefully simple question. We use a pour techniques for our dentures. Sometimes I see my tech soaking the models with the wax up on them for hours even over night at times with the wax up on them. They say it makes them easier to take off the models for the wax try ins. I have never used or seen this technique before. My question is this, Will it effect the final fit of the denture (loose) or not. I don't believe the stone would expand to create a loos fit. But we are getting some dentures with a loose fit after processing. The try ins do have a good fit. We are using light cure base plates for the try in. As long as they aren't on back order.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The model will demineralize and become softer after about 30 minutes. Bad idea.

Presoak for 5 minutes before something or after is one thing.

The presoak is to get the air bubbles out of the stone so they don't rise into the acrylic and so that the stone is fully saturated and less likely to have the acryilic soak into the stone.

Get them some separator. DVA by APS is my choice, but others with respected opinions like others better for their own reasons.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
You can soak in distilled water or the clearer part of slurry water to help prevent demineralization. According to the handbook at least.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
How about a liquid soak that permanently fills the pores, yet when dried, doesn't bond to acrylic?

Liquid wax, glass, floor shine, soap......Any experimenters????

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How about a liquid soak that permanently fills the pores, yet when dried, doesn't bond to acrylic?

Liquid wax, glass, floor shine, soap......Any experimenters????
I use diluted dish soap applied with a tooth brush. blow off the excess solution.

1629466759940.png

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You can soak in distilled water or the clearer part of slurry water to help prevent demineralization. According to the handbook at least.
Distilled water will dissolve the most minerals the quickest as there are no minerals in the water and more room in solution to pick up ions. SDS which is the clear part of slurry when it sits overnight has the maximum amount of ions it can hold in solution, making it the most likely not to etch the model. What handbook says you can used distilled water. I could be wrong, but this is what I remember from chemistry 2 lab.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
You can pressure pot a model, then release the pressure and let sit for minute and it will be fully saturated even under the waxup.
Doobie doobie doobie

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Ancient chinese secret huh????
Screenshot_20220303-223537_DuckDuckGo.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
For anyone that did or does pour or poor dentures the tech is soaking the model in water prior to investing in the colloid to eliminate trapped air between the model and the waxup and or to saturate the type 3 gypsum from venting. This makes the molds way nicer.

5 min is not going to break down a model. and since there is no compression to the model since its cold cure and fluid resin there are probably no negative effects of this path.

Secondly when you have a saturated model it's much easier for the separator not to adhere to the surface but again the type of processing will not sluff off the separator like compression packing or injecting can.

As for loose fit you are using cold cure and pouring it in a mold in a viscus state and that amount of monomer is always going to have poor adaptation compared to more precise processing techniques. If you are the owner and you don't understand the process and are dealing with the end results its time to grab an airforce manual and read up then raise your prices 100% and ditch the pour processing.

Of course I know nothing and just am busting balls so your mileage may vary :)

Top Bottom