So Im testing out a new printer...

B

basler

Reaction score
The new photon s is $479 at the official ebay store and it is 30% faster so if anybody consideres getting one get the new one

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
The new photon s is $479 at the official ebay store and it is 30% faster so if anybody consideres getting one get the new one
Is that the yellow filtered one? Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Think we've gotten a bit excited (I certainly have!) and missed some of the business decision information.

Anyone know what the maintenance periods and realistic longevity of these machines is like?

How long has your oldest one been going and at what duty cycle?
6 months at 1 print a day, 5 per week?

What is the build quailty like? Have all the ones everyone has seen been of fairly consistent goodness?

How do they taste with soy sauce and wasabi?

I don't want to end up replacing it every year, and that concerns me at this pricepoint as a possibility.

And, yes, i know high price is no indicator of reliability. I owned a Chrysler Imperial-the car's transmission was so badly designed they actually bought the cars back.

B

basler

Reaction score
Think we've gotten a bit excited (I certainly have!) and missed some of the business decision information.

Anyone know what the maintenance periods and realistic longevity of these machines is like?

What is the build quailty like? Have all the ones everyone has seen been of fairly consistent goodness?

I don't want to end up replacing it every year, and that concerns me at this pricepoint as a possibility.

And, yes, i know high price is no indicator of reliability. I owned a Chrysler Imperial-the car's transmission was so badly designed they actually bought the cars back.

My personal experience with the printer ....
The oldest photon I still have is still printing daily almost a year now ...only maintenance was fep film change(free bc one fep film is included) but because of my fault I punctured the film.... have not done anything beside change the vat while I m printing different material.I don t use cheap resin that separate so I don t even clean the vats just keep adding resin and hit the print button.

10-15 prints a week mostly models or trial denture,splints.....
I would say less then 10% failures again most of the time operator mistakes.....

Original Photon build quality of the case is much better then the new white plastic case of photon S but apparently they changed the LED array with a stronger the result is faster prints.

They taste just fine with wasabi ....

I really dont mind replacing the whole unit every 3 months( I still have all 3 that i purchased,1 of them used on ebay) because the "better" alternatives for my needs don t make any financial sense,at least I would end up with extra vat which by the way is interchangeable between the old and new photon and extra build plate.

resin tank for nexdent 5100 is what $800-1000? Weakest point of a brilliant brilliant and super fast printer...

Resin tank for Moonray is $200 ? I had that printer for 6 months...... again bc of my stupidity I had to change one and order a second one so I dont have to clean the resin,that s end up the same a new photon.....

The most important thing to understand this printer is not plug and play if you are willing to spend little bit of time and learn the basics you will be printing without big problems,sloooooooooow but predictable ....

Again if you need that splint in 45 min or the temps in 35 min while the patient is in the chair this is not the printer for you,I print everything overnight I can care less how many hours will take as long as is there when i come back......

I got this printer thinking it will be a toy(by the way it is a f... toy how small it is ) I ll try it and forget about end up using it longest then any other printer bc it just works in MY hands,couple of my friends can t print 3 good prints in a row they went back to something different.

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score

For $500, you can afford to replace it every 6 months. Just push it off the bench into the garbage. I'm only 2 weeks into this, so I have no idea about most of your questions, but it's gonna be an interesting journey.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
For $500, you can afford to replace it every 6 months. Just push it off the bench into the garbage. I'm only 2 weeks into this, so I have no idea about most of your questions, but it's gonna be an interesting journey.
what are you using for nesting software?

Ildent

Ildent

Reaction score
My initial prints were done with the green castable resin included with the purchase. I also bought the anycubic dental model resin. See above post on curing light. I included a link.

This is another stress test print I did for fun. The spere is a little over an inch in diameter View attachment 32168

Can you tell me please the config you use in the slice software of Anycubic with dental castable resin, because ive got some issue with the prints.
thank you!

B

basler

Reaction score
Can you tell me please the config you use in the slice software of Anycubic with dental castable resin, because ive got some issue with the prints.
thank you!
what issues do you have?!?
Partial failure or nothing on the plate?
I ve never used that resin but have plyed with different casting resins on diferent printers some of them are working much better if tou heat up the resin with a hairdrier or just build a heating element for the vat .the area where i keep the printer is quite cold and the resin sometimes doesnot have the recomended viscosity to work

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
thank you!
For the cube test print, I literally stuck the USB in and hit print, not using the slicer software. In the interest of transparency, my first print failed as well. It was due to a poorly leveled plate. I have since abandoned the "paper levelling" that the manual suggests, and do the Flint Read method instead, leveling against the empty resin vat. That worked well for me and the prints have come out well since then.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
what are you using for nesting software?
I'm using the included photon slicer software. It's pretty good, but the printer prints in a proprietary format. The slicer software is very quick to build the prints. Much faster than the other cam software I have.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm using the included photon slicer software. It's pretty good, but the printer prints in a proprietary format. The slicer software is very quick to build the prints. Much faster than the other cam software I have.
So if you want to print 5 things (each thing being a die or model or denture base or denture teeth) are you printing one at a time?

We were assumng you were arranging multiple output items in the build area to be printed all at once. Does it handle this on the touchscreen and print whatever it can fit on the build area that is on the usb drive?

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
Regarding to video, you can do as much as it will fit.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Fill it up and go. Its just a matter of nesting it and supporting it properly.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
CT Guide test with junk resin they included... I am now going to name this printer the "Little Bastard".

Attachments

• 2019-03-27_155156.jpg
    2019-03-27_155156.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 2019-03-27_155754.jpg
    2019-03-27_155754.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 187