snore, sleep appliances

chief26

chief26

Reaction score
I had emailed the fda directly and was told unless i was importing i didnt have to do anything. What im reading is that sleep and snore appliances r included n this. My concern is that any appliance that moves the mandible forward and holds it open can b used for this problem. So bionators, herbsts, twinblocks or any creation the dentist comes up with will work. As these appliances become more expensive they will design thier own or use one of these other options. I dont like where that leaves me but, thousands of dollars a yr just to cover my butt isnt a fun idea either.

R

rosarioortholab

Reaction score
I had emailed the fda directly and was told unless i was importing i didnt have to do anything. What im reading is that sleep and snore appliances r included n this. My concern is that any appliance that moves the mandible forward and holds it open can b used for this problem. So bionators, herbsts, twinblocks or any creation the dentist comes up with will work. As these appliances become more expensive they will design thier own or use one of these other options. I dont like where that leaves me but, thousands of dollars a yr just to cover my butt isnt a fun idea either.

A year ago I was talking to a large ortho lab owner . The profitability in those appliances are minimal. Not worth the headache. You need a separate dept. to make a profit. Stay away!

On a side note, I made myself a snore guard using dual laminate thermal forms. What a difference.
I actually wake up feeling refreshed instead of tired. I don't need naps any more and have energy.
I'm going to schedule a sleep test to officially diagnose my problem.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i currently work at a very large lab, and we always send them off to be made. somnodent, mainly, with few others for clients who insist on something else.

we tried developing one (to be truthful i was never actually involved) but they decided not to continue production when we got a working process, citing too much time involved.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I had a sleep test done initially fifteen years ago. I was supposed to sleep all night, then come back for a night with a CPAP. Old technique, i'm sure. They woke me after one hour and put the CPAP on me. I had stopped breathing so many times they were concerned. I've worn a CPAP since then and have tried a couple of appliances as a guinea pig for the practice next door. They don't work for me. I love my CPAP and will use it forever. BTW, I'm not over weight so my issue is neurological, I've been told. I dream like crazy and have learned to do the active engaging in them. Best video game ever.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Sew tennis balls onto the back of your jim jams so u can't lie on your back and give your partner permission to shove you or tickle your nose hairs if you snore or move into the spare room..... No more snoring;)

N

nicward1

Reaction score
I'm not over weight so my issue is neurological, I've been told. I dream like crazy and have learned to do the active engaging in them. Best video game ever.

Hey Doug -

I just wanted to put in my two cents. Contrary to popular belief, Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is not limited to Overweight people. It comes down to the size of your airway. True, it is more prevalent in overweight people because the excess weight constricts the airway, but if even if you are thin and athletic you can still have sleep apnea. If an overweight man were to tell a doctor that he is always tired and has a tendency to fall asleep during the day the doc would send him for a sleep test. On the other hand if thin athletic woman were to tell a doctor those same symptoms, he would more than likely put her on prozac.

If your Cpap is helping you helping you to get a better nights rest, then i would assume that you have OSA rather than central sleep apnea (CSA).

R

rosarioortholab

Reaction score
Sew tennis balls onto the back of your jim jams so u can't lie on your back and give your partner permission to shove you or tickle your nose hairs if you snore or move into the spare room..... No more snoring;)

What!?!?

Top Bottom