Snap on smile "STYLE"

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have a full mouth case that has a diagnostic wax up "Open bite" and the dr wants to make a matrix and transfer it over to inject acetal for a snap on smile like restoration. I would love to be able to mill it out of PMMA, can anyone give me some pointers on 3shapes newest version to accomplish this. I am not sure the material will actually work this way but I want to try something new.

I have not had a chance to muck around the software to learn it in depth yet but I just received the call from the office today so I thought I would give you guys a shout.

Save me some time please :)

thanks

doug

doug

Reaction score
Can't offer any advice, but share your experience.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Do you have the materials to stain pmma?
Also, your better off polishing by hand, rather than the lath.
The lath just removes too much material, the pmma you mill will lose all its contour very fast.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Sorry John, I cant help you with 3 shape but its sooooooooo easy in exocad :p, just scan your working model and the wax up then mesh the two and your milling, I would say about 15min of work. They look great as well (milled it in A1 pmma). We did a 10 unit veneer case like this from a diagnostic that the Doc sent us, milled in wax and pressed (I love cad/cam). Just pulling your leg, hope you get it sorted Pete

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
been around this block once or twice. while there are some nice white and "A0" pmma pucks for sale, its VERY hard to get a good clean mill of a full smile from this. your original teeth pretty much have to be perfect as-is. misalignments or chips or undercuts make this project quite hard to do with 3shape and any mill. these things also do have a minimum thickness, and it makes for a very flimsy final product if you ignore this.

but don't give up! there is a solution; remembering 3shape can detect undercuts, you can also work around blocking them out. pmma is a bit flexible, especially when milled thin and heated with hot water. getting it to snap-in without breaking is a big step. its got to be warm.

maybe i just don't have the denture experience to make it all come together on this end, but hopefully john, you can take at least some of what i've laid down.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
To make 'snap on smile' use the 'temporary on sectioned scan'. In the design stage, at the end do the 'cut to gingiva' and it will remove anything that the teeth are touching, essentially creating a snap on smil that has been blocked out.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We did a similar style case a week ago. We actually scanned the entire arch and made one big overlay style bridge.

setting the margin at the gum line, you need to make sure you have a 100% clean impression and get rid of all the little blebs and what not, clean anatomy. I selected in the case creation all the teeth that were going to be covered, 1st molar to 1st molar. For sectioned teeth on an unsectioned model, set them as full contour crowns then selected all of them and applied a bridge with none as the connector. Then scanned, set margins, die spacer added to the extra spacer for more room then set the teeth and played around till happy. Cut out of A0 PMMA seated and cleared the occ. This is one way of doing a removable smile non prep that is. If the Dr is going to open then bite then it gives you even more room to achieve better esthetics.

Another trick is do not select the full contour crown when you create the original case, select all the teeth and set them as veneers. This will actually allow you to scan the arch and then just simply number the teeth and move on, instead of having to section them like full crowns. The only thin is before you design, go back into the case and change them to crowns and bridge them. It will say you have changed the product would you like to rescan, simply say no cause your design is still Zero then just CRTL-D or right click model and whalla you have a true unsectioned model allowing you better inter proximal space. But with this technique 3shape is totally lost on margins and you will have to clear and manually mark each tooth, very very time stacking but it works great once you get the hang of it. This is a work around I figured out when trying to do a diagnostic wax up of veneers, I changed them to crowns and in the smile composer i got a much better preview then with the veneers. A little something I rubbed into their face at LDW! LOL

Sevan

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
We did a similar style case a week ago. We actually scanned the entire arch and made one big overlay style bridge.

setting the margin at the gum line, you need to make sure you have a 100% clean impression and get rid of all the little blebs and what not, clean anatomy. I selected in the case creation all the teeth that were going to be covered, 1st molar to 1st molar. For sectioned teeth on an unsectioned model, set them as full contour crowns then selected all of them and applied a bridge with none as the connector. Then scanned, set margins, die spacer added to the extra spacer for more room then set the teeth and played around till happy. Cut out of A0 PMMA seated and cleared the occ. This is one way of doing a removable smile non prep that is. If the Dr is going to open then bite then it gives you even more room to achieve better esthetics.

Another trick is do not select the full contour crown when you create the original case, select all the teeth and set them as veneers. This will actually allow you to scan the arch and then just simply number the teeth and move on, instead of having to section them like full crowns. The only thin is before you design, go back into the case and change them to crowns and bridge them. It will say you have changed the product would you like to rescan, simply say no cause your design is still Zero then just CRTL-D or right click model and whalla you have a true unsectioned model allowing you better inter proximal space. But with this technique 3shape is totally lost on margins and you will have to clear and manually mark each tooth, very very time stacking but it works great once you get the hang of it. This is a work around I figured out when trying to do a diagnostic wax up of veneers, I changed them to crowns and in the smile composer i got a much better preview then with the veneers. A little something I rubbed into their face at LDW! LOL

Sevan

The easiest way to do a snap on smile is simply by using 'temporary on unsectioned scan', found underneath the new temporaries restoration in 3Shape . It's literally a few steps. If you hover your mouse over that temporary icon it even says 'snap-on smiles'....

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
This is what I did, and it milled great, sadly the material was too rigid and did not flex enough. We are injecting acytal now.

S

shahravi

Reaction score
Hi. I am Dentist practicing in India. Can anyone give me specific information about how to create Snap On Smile like prosthesis? What material can be used to create it? And which company provides it in India. Thankyou in advance.