SLS METAL LEASER PRINTING

T

tareq altinawi

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I have digital dental lab and
I am intending to purchase laser metal printer to print Crown & bridges + removeable to dental labs ,
do you think it is worth it ?

Thanks

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I have digital dental lab and
I am intending to purchase laser metal printer to print Crown & bridges + removeable to dental labs ,
do you think it is worth it ?

Thanks
My experience has not been favorable (From two reputable companies),I got porous and warped prints. Maybe in the future?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Same opinion as the previous. Have not seen a good print so far even from the top end printers. Maybe the operators are not enough qualified. My colleague ordered removables and got prints that were open from the palatal part. I asked her to send me the .stl file to test it by printing it from plastic resin and the seating was perfect. I don't know how many partials she ordered altogether, but she is now back at casting. Printed clasps seems to be brittle also so when doctor is activating them, there is a change they just snap off.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I use SLM ,very good fit and no problems with firing porcelain (if there is any problem, not with SLM, but with your firing process) requires smoothing with a rubber disc is enough.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
I have been using SLM (outsourcing) for all my C&B frameworks for the 3rd year now. We've had practically zero problems as far as the material goes (Bego CoCr alloy),I only remember 2 cases of warpage/bad quality in almost 3 years. That's less than 0.1% of manufacture failure. And no problems with fit or porcelain for now.

I outsource cause I work in a small lab in Greece, and buying such a machine is not worth it for such a small production volume.
So I believe that on the question "is it worth it?", you must take into account production volume, cost of the machine, if you can print for other -smaller- labs in order to minimise cost, etc. For us, the fact that we don't wax/invest/cast anymore, is a huge deal. And since our C&B is over 50% metal-porcelain, this adds up.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wax (CAD/CAM) and cast is still my gold standard for fit and margins. I have yet to be totally satisfied with SLM or DPM. Maybe because I've been waxing and casting since 1975, so I'm just spoiled with the results that I know I can get.
Milled (FGC's) probably come out better, but I haven't tried that yet.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I outsource cause I work in a small lab in Greece, and buying such a machine is not worth it for such a small production volume.
So I believe that on the question "is it worth it?", you must take into account production volume, cost of the machine, if you can print for other -smaller- labs in order to minimise cost, etc. For us, the fact that we don't wax/invest/cast anymore, is a huge deal. And since our C&B is over 50% metal-porcelain, this adds up.
Agree, with the cost of time and labor, HN and Nobel metals, and also in my case implant parts, especially UCLA's can really add up.
At that 50% rate of pfm volume, I can see where outsourcing would help.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've been waxing/casting since 1973. The results we get from Argen are satisfactory for our needs. We have to spend a little time getting the margins finished properly, but the rest of the unit is as I designed. From a cost/benefit/quality perspective, the docs who still want PFG crowns are few and far between and dropping steadily. I'm not about to buy and hold alloy for the occasional crown when this option exists. Argen will accept ANY crown back and give credit if there is a problem.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's why I buy my metal from Argen in 5 to 10 dwt quantities, to help offset the cost of buying a full ounce as I only do 4 - 6 pfm's a month. along with their love affair with cast and opaqued UCLA's. I'm finishing 2 as we speak, as well as a milled abutment :)

edit: my doing it old school is just a personnel preference thing on my part, but I do see enough of a difference to do it that way :)

Last edited:
2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Metal printing is good however you are looking at a $400,000.00 price tag for good machine. You need to make sure you have the volume to justify such an expenditure and you get your ROI back within 5 years

D

dabza

Reaction score
I have been using SLM (outsourcing) for all my C&B frameworks for the 3rd year now. We've had practically zero problems as far as the material goes (Bego CoCr alloy),I only remember 2 cases of warpage/bad quality in almost 3 years. That's less than 0.1% of manufacture failure. And no problems with fit or porcelain for now.

How much you pay for a single crown ?

C

CapeSolutions

Reaction score
Metal printing is good however you are looking at a $400,000.00 price tag for good machine. You need to make sure you have the volume to justify such an expenditure and you get your ROI back within 5 years
Our CoCr printers come in at less than $300,000. Quality is excellant