slash printer

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Same here...I'd rather sip beer at the beach than slave away at the bench...
jesse.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
We wont even be talking about these little toy printers in a few years.. Drs will be doing it themselves. Does anyone really think there is much future left to this industry? 3dprint.jpg

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We wont even be talking about these little toy printers in a few years.. Drs will be doing it themselves. Does anyone really think there is much future left to this industry? View attachment 27271
There is if you're willing to adjust/keep adding to your skillset. For the guy sitting at the bench waxing setups all day, there isn't much future. But the writing is on the walls. If you refuse to read it and adapt, it's your own fault. We are longer than most people in this industry think from full automation.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres tons of life left

you just need to innovate.

whats the problem you face daily that causes you the most aggravation? engineer and develop in that area to reduce it. go out and find people developing in that area and collaborate.

are you having difficulties with implants? find an implant developer and make your problems known. work for a solution. not merely to your issues but to bring simplicity and increase productivity.

having issue with too many appointments for dentures? work with people to reduce that.

its a highly complex industry and 3d printing is just a tool. its not a solution. the solution is how you use the tool.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
My problem is, that corporations are dumping millions into finding ways, to make you and I irrelevant. Not only technicians, but I believe dentists also. I disagree that it is a highly complex industry, the industry is being consolidated and a very few well-positioned companies will be doing everything directly for the dentist and ultimately the patient with expensive technology that most will not have access to. CHL, what would you consider 'tons of life left'? I have over 30 years until I retire, theres no way dentistry is done the same way in even 10 years. No caries, no crowns.

"
CRISPR is a ground-breaking genome editing method offered by Mother Nature itself. Researchers discovered its immense potential recently. I dealt with the story of the CRISPR/Cas9 system or the bacterial-derived RNA-directed endonuclease that generates blunt ends here. I also mentioned that it might become the ultimate weapon against cancer or help design babies in the future.

So what could CRISPR achieve in dentistry? Roland W. Hansen paediatric dentist believes that it might only be a matter of time that dentistry will be able to identify the causative genes in many oral pathologies. If research laboratory can tell us which genes are at fault for a specific disorder, we may find that in the near future a CRISPR solution to the fault can revise the genetic structure of the genome…a thought that was inconceivable until just recently."

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"So what could CRISPR achieve in dentistry" you will be retired before this has any significant impact on dentistry.

as I understand it researchers have been growing human teeth in the lab for ages now (decades even) and newspapers still report about as if its around the corner for us all. They still cant even predict what type of tooth will grow!, not much use if a molar pops up instead of a central lol :) Then how do they regenerate the lost alveolar bone, regenerate the periodontium? all the biology that goes into a functioning tooth. then once they solve all that, they have to go through 10 or 20 years of ethics, legislation, medico-legal issues etc etc etc. don't worry man you will be six feet under ;)

regarding the slash I had one ordered from April but was sensible enough not to order it through kickstarter and pre-ordered through their site so I have some recourse. Havnt had a chance to read through all this thread yet but the company is a joke and id avoid at all costs! they either breezed over my requests to cancel and refund or didn't even bother to reply so ive passed the issue onto Visa for a charge back claim.

In the middle of re-building a wanhao D7 at the minute, new z axis, fans, nanodlp, touch screen all done. and ready to start testing castable resins this weekend. Also just received parts to build a uv array and throw out the single UV LED it comes with. Hoping to use for printing patterns for casting/pressing and will get a larger unit (Phrozen make XL maybe) for models and diagnostic wax ups. Love all this 3d printing stuff :)

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
My problem is, that corporations are dumping millions into finding ways, to make you and I irrelevant. Not only technicians, but I believe dentists also. I disagree that it is a highly complex industry, the industry is being consolidated and a very few well-positioned companies will be doing everything directly for the dentist and ultimately the patient with expensive technology that most will not have access to. CHL, what would you consider 'tons of life left'? I have over 30 years until I retire, theres no way dentistry is done the same way in even 10 years. No caries, no crowns.

"
CRISPR is a ground-breaking genome editing method offered by Mother Nature itself. Researchers discovered its immense potential recently. I dealt with the story of the CRISPR/Cas9 system or the bacterial-derived RNA-directed endonuclease that generates blunt ends here. I also mentioned that it might become the ultimate weapon against cancer or help design babies in the future.

So what could CRISPR achieve in dentistry? Roland W. Hansen paediatric dentist believes that it might only be a matter of time that dentistry will be able to identify the causative genes in many oral pathologies. If research laboratory can tell us which genes are at fault for a specific disorder, we may find that in the near future a CRISPR solution to the fault can revise the genetic structure of the genome…a thought that was inconceivable until just recently."

theres tons of life left because crispr and human genome sequencing is an ethical regulation matter that will take a long time to become a thing. the technology is proven to work, sure, but whether or not everyone will get to use it is another matter entirely. its hard enough to get MRI scans available to the public and thats something we've had since the 70's.

we are finding cures to diseases sure, but have they eradicated disease? no and far from it.

we've invented some high tech implants but has it eradicated denturism? far from it. if we find a way to create digital dentures will it eradicate endentulous patients? lol ?

in the same way crispr editing MIGHT eliminate some patients prone to caries but its not going to eliminate the entire sugar industry, poor hygiene, violent sport, or corrupt dental professionals who will cut healthy patients looking to get that hollywood smile.

the very idea that this industry revolves around merely caries is ludicrous and narrow.

how many thousands of new materials exist now as technology has grown into cadcam? how many new kinds of prosthetics have blossomed with the advent of implantology?

what kind of industry has ever killed itself as a result of the development of any single new technology?

it was decades before enough people and businesses bought cars before the horse industry died. it was not overnight. even IF crispr saves billions of patients from being patients in the first place, theres still 7billion people to treat, and by some accounts there will be in excess of 1billion fully edentulous patients in the next 10 years. crispr cant change that.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
bit late to the party but something to think about with these new LCD printers,

"When they can fit a 600-800 dpi screen in a 10 inch platform (or around triple what the slash is) we should be on point for a reasonably cheap and predictable printer. give it 6 months i would say."

there seems to be problems with this according to the guys making the "phrozen make". the denser the pixel structure of the panel the less light is able to penetrate so these LCD units might be stuck at current resolutions for a while. You could increase the UV intensity to compensate but the more UV the quicker the panel is destroyed.

makes sense when you think about it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
we are finding cures to diseases sure, but have they eradicated disease? no and far from it.

We've found many many treatments, but I think I'd have to challenge the idea we've cured any disease in this century. Or even in the last 40 years. Cured people don't keep paying for meds, while those under the symptom management methodology of treatment frequently found in use do continue to buy meds, take blood tests, pay MDs, create the need for FNPs and PAs to be common, etc. etc.

in the same way crispr editing MIGHT eliminate some patients prone to caries but its not going to eliminate the entire sugar industry, poor hygiene, violent sport, or corrupt dental professionals who will cut healthy patients looking to get that hollywood smile.

In addition to lifestyle choices destroying health, genetic editing will be the delineation point of two distinct paths of humanity. The 80/20 rule will certainly apply, with 20% of the people causing/receiving 80% of the 'output'

it was decades before enough people and businesses bought cars before the horse industry died.

For an idea, during WW2 the Germans, specifically, were asked in the aftermath why they didn't use any of the chemical weaponry they'd used in WW1 and had in the interim produced and stockpiled. The response was that they were afraid we'd respond in kind and their country, to say nothing of their warmaking, ability would fall apart as they were still extensively relient on horses for the supply chain and food production at the top of the list. Impressive that this was true even with the massive mechanisation which had propeled and allowed the blitzkreig format that they devised.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
We've found many many treatments, but I think I'd have to challenge the idea we've cured any disease in this century. Or even in the last 40 years. Cured people don't keep paying for meds, while those under the symptom management methodology of treatment frequently found in use do continue to buy meds, take blood tests, pay MDs, create the need for FNPs and PAs to be common, etc. etc.

https://powerusa.org/2012/12/27/two-companies-have-effective-100-cure/ there are cures. but cured people as you say, dont keep paying for meds.

hep c is but one example. there are cures out there for juvenile diabetes, AIDS, and some forms of cancer. we'eve even recently discovered (as a collective) how medical systems around the globe have been giving out placebos in chemo treatments, issuing watered down drugs, or just plain overcharging trying to milk cancer patients till they moo.

how can a political system make medical promises and win votes if it is a system that is already efficient and up to date? if you had a universal health care system that worked to cure people, gave timely service, and was not eating up public money what political promises could be made? what lobbying would exist?

the reality is sick people keep healthy people employed. sick people create a need for science; to give the drug giants a reason to make a slightly better pill at a slightly reduced rate while they laugh all the way to the bank. but its not just drug companies either, theres a reason many hospitals have 'cancer wards' or other ways to segregate by disease.

bottom line here is the science - not drug company science - has found the cures, but its not good politics to dole out the cure. because theres a lot of money involved and people would rather be rich than well. something something sick soul.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i realize that may come off slightly conspiratorial. but i'm not nearly as tinfoil hat as this guy

SrtJC7I.jpg

U8dD98M.jpg

apparently even dental caries are a result of computer.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
i realize that may come off slightly conspiratorial. but i'm not nearly as tinfoil hat as this guy

SrtJC7I.jpg

U8dD98M.jpg

apparently even dental caries are a result of computer.
Holy logic and spelling issues, Batman.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
https://powerusa.org/2012/12/27/two-companies-have-effective-100-cure/ there are cures. but cured people as you say, dont keep paying for meds.

hep c is but one example. there are cures out there for juvenile diabetes, AIDS, and some forms of cancer. we'eve even recently discovered (as a collective) how medical systems around the globe have been giving out placebos in chemo treatments, issuing watered down drugs, or just plain overcharging trying to milk cancer patients till they moo.

how can a political system make medical promises and win votes if it is a system that is already efficient and up to date? if you had a universal health care system that worked to cure people, gave timely service, and was not eating up public money what political promises could be made? what lobbying would exist?

the reality is sick people keep healthy people employed. sick people create a need for science; to give the drug giants a reason to make a slightly better pill at a slightly reduced rate while they laugh all the way to the bank. but its not just drug companies either, theres a reason many hospitals have 'cancer wards' or other ways to segregate by disease.

bottom line here is the science - not drug company science - has found the cures, but its not good politics to dole out the cure. because theres a lot of money involved and people would rather be rich than well. something something sick soul.
Got one for you. The UN gave out innoculations against lockjaw to African women. Only women. Turns out that none of them who received the vaccine could carry a baby to term afterwards. All (13 ? I think) of the places they contracted to produce the massive amounts they wanted accidentally also added a component that caused fetal death and spontaneous abortion before the end of the second trimester.

Tinfoil hats act as antenna. You need to ground them for efficacy. :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
In the future there will be the rich and fukd, so I dont assume many of those edentulous people will be paying for teeth. Im not saying gene therapy will eliminate dentistry, just change the game for everyone. This industry didnt need generations to change, it has changed entirely in a matter of a decade. Technology grows exponentially and I promise you the next big thing is being developed, you nobody will see it coming. Great for modern medicine but Im not so sure for an industry of 'unskilled labor'.

Now to find that damn chip..