slash printer

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Lachlan so if you were in the market TODAY with the needs I outlined what would you buy,

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
If someone put a gun to my head and said i had to buy something...I would get a Formlabs probably. That decision would be based on the supported material range, The printer itself is average and not overly accurate (sorry for all the fans) I would buy it knowing it would not be perfect and some customisation to settings would have to be done.

I want to check this Slash out for our diagnostic models because you can customise speed areas so bases for instance can go at 100-200 micron steps then go to 75 for the tooth structure. At such a low price it is not major damage if all it does is print diagnostic models fast for the rest of its days if i cant work out 3rd party materials. It will still be higher res and repeatability than the Formlabs.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So glad you didn't say Envisiontec, or Objet, :)

You know anything about the Asiga Pro 2

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
So glad you didn't say Envisiontec, or Objet, :)

You know anything about the Asiga Pro 2
We have the first order for the new Asiga MAX. Should be in here in a couple weeks. Will post results.

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
We have the first order for the new Asiga MAX. Should be in here in a couple weeks. Will post results.

Bryce, I think you will be pleased with the Asiga MAX, shouldnt be much longer before you get your hands on yours.

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
I have been shopping and more or less pulling my hair out looking for the sweetspot for printers.
I want a machine I can do guides and night guards on, prints a nice accurate model and has the ability to easily change out resin, I do not want to do multiple prints a day, so build plate has to be big enough not to have to have a ton of tech time, love to be able to guides and guards in the day and load up the models for the night.
Such a decision of a disposable printer at an entry point of $3500 and a REAL machine at 50k+

John, from reading your post earlier, the Asiga would be the perfect printer for your 3D printing needs. The Pro2 has the largest build plate in the series, 144mm x 81mm and is capable of printing multiple layers/stacked models, guides, guards, etc. up to 200mm tall on the Z axis. The MAX that Bryce is waiting to receive has the second largest build plate in the series at 115mm x 64mm, and you could probably fit up-to 2 layers on a print, up to 76mm on the Z axis, and is only about half the price of the Pro 2. It's an open source printer meaning you could use any photopolymer resins, and is super easy to change from printing one resin material to the next. The nesting software was developed by Asiga and is very user friendly and easy to use. Requires minimal maintenance, and we have never had a problem with spilled resin over the sides of the tray like someone mentioned in a previous post, if resin does leak from a resin tray due to a failed print, there is a catch tray beneath the resin tray the catches the spilled resin and keeps clean up at a minimum! If you are ever out our way, near KY, you should stop by Whip Mix and see them in action. We are currently running 3 Pro2's daily and nightly in our DTS lab. We are generally printing multiple cases on a single layer averaging about 1.5-2.5 hours per print job during the day, depending on the height of the print job. Then run large stacks of models at night. Takes about 15-30 minutes to break a stack down to individual models.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Asiga slipped my mind. Apologies Matt. The newer gen Asigas look really good. The 3rd party resin choice is good. The quality of prints i have seen off it at IDS were very nice. I had one of the first Pico printers they made. The tech was new but from what i have seen they have improved massively. I would choose this over a Formlabs. Although a little pricier. The longevity will be better.

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
Asiga slipped my mind. Apologies Matt. The newer gen Asigas look really good. The 3rd party resin choice is good. The quality of prints i have seen off it at IDS were very nice. I had one of the first Pico printers they made. The tech was new but from what i have seen they have improved massively. I would choose this over a Formlabs. Although a little pricier. The longevity will be better.

Labwa, the Asiga's have came a LONG way since the original Pico printers! They fixed the bugs with the Pico and came out with the Pico 2 a few years ago, now they have the Pro 2 which has been a huge innovation, and success in the dental lab industry, and now they are coming out with the Pico Max, which has a huge build plate, slightly smaller than the pro 2, but has a much smaller footprint in the lab, its m ore of a desktop printer such as the form labs 2, and all of the bells and whistles their newest printers now feature. If you are interested in learning more about the new asiga printers, please feel free to PM me your contact info, and I will have someone from Whip Mix contact you with details.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Your study did not include any Asiga printers?

No problem show me deviation pics i told you long before , its the easiest and hardest way !! but keep in your mind from time to time i do my own studies and Geomagic Qualifiy is my best friend .

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Our Asiga Pro 2 has been printing fantastic. Most of our models are implant cases and we have great fits with DIM analogs. I can't see why anyone would be interested in Formlabs hobby printers. The Asiga is faster, more accurate and user friendly. The Asiga is the real deal and has expanded our business tremendously because we can quickly and correctly print our own models. We have figured out more digital implant workflow and IOS scanner solutions since we have our own printer THAT REALLY produces great results.

The break even point is also very low. If you get one digital implant case a week more (because now you have better turnaround, quality and profitability) it will easily pay for itself. If you do ten cases a week, you will be saving a lot of money, have quicker turnaround and can control the quality of your models. Paying shipping alone on outsourced printed models costs more than the materials involved. Most digital cases can be designed and started milling/printing before a regular case even makes it way out of the preliminary room.

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
No problem show me deviation pics i told you long before , its the easiest and hardest way !! but keep in your mind from time to time i do my own studies and Geomagic Qualifiy is my best friend .

Is this what you have been looking for?

Attachments

• Asiga Verification scan.jpg
    Asiga Verification scan.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 70
  • asiga verification model.jpg
    asiga verification model.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 71
Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
Same thing on a full arch and your King for the day !!!
I was able to dig these up. A comparison of the Asiga printer vs. Formlabs printer using the same full arch model.

Attachments

• Asiga Upper Comparison.JPG
    Asiga Upper Comparison.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Asiga Lower Compare.JPG
    Asiga Lower Compare.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Formlabs Compare results.JPG
    Formlabs Compare results.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Formlabs Lower Compare Results.JPG
    Formlabs Lower Compare Results.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 65
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
It's so hard to control the laser position and deflection on the Formlabs. It does not look like too many people care though.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Saw the asiga at the whip mix booth this weekend. Quite impressive prints, better surface than my projet3000 :bag:. Very smooth models, like an epoxy resin model. :Congrats:

D

Darcio Schimidt

Reaction score
The unicorn does not exist yet....
Printing is expensive in equipment, consumables but more so time. This is the important factor you don't realise fully until you're doing it. Perfect example, i had two simple smile design models to put on overnight. Takes 15 minutes to load and start printing. Ortho Analyser does not output models on perfect flat planes so you have to finely level it bit by bit. Then came in this morning and 1 arch failed.. Lost resin over the side of the tray. Lost resin that had cured and come off the platform. Spent another 20 minutes cleaning up and putting the arch on again. Then it will take 10-20 minutes to post process. add it up. It costs about 40+ dollars a model without including printer costs and fixed costs. Explaining this to techs is one things. Explaining this to the dentist paying for models is another. They have been told digital is cheaper by their reps selling them the scanner.

In my experience the cheaper printers are cheap for a reason. The tech is not the same regardless of what people will say. I would say it is mostly the print firmware, resin used (spot curing thickness/expansion) and separation technique from the build tray membrane. They all have a different techniques and some are better than others. We have had maybe 3 failed prints in 12 months on the Envisiontec, and i would put that down to user error. We had a print head go on the Objet but no fails aside from that in the last 12 months. The expensive printers in our lab i can go home and not worry about it.

The Formlabs we would get a fail once a fortnight i would say. For no obvious reason. As labs we are looking to be more efficient with human time and at the moment i have not seen a cheaper printer that helps that cause.

The new LCD masking printers are going to be a positive way forward. when they can fit a 600-800 dpi screen in a 10 inch platform (or around triple what the slash is) we should be on point for a reasonably cheap and predictable printer. give it 6 months i would say.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Exactly. Very well said.

Regarding DLA, some experience / report on DUPLICATOR D7 - WANHAO?

The price of $ 499 is actually very attractive, and the results from what I saw on the web are interesting.

I am wrong?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I find it interesting how the onset of digital technology is actually regressing the accuracy.. Everyone is using printers with 40- 60+ micron resolution, when has that ever been acceptable in dentistry? In all seriousness. We went through the cosmetic revolution to go backwards for speed?

find me a probe that can feel an 80um gap