Size & shape of monolithic zirconia posterior crown - is this how it should be?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Is that obsolutely the only way around this?
If it was cemented a week ago with glass ionomer cement (I think "Ketac" of ESPE, NO light curing) would it be extremely difficult to remove in one piece and would have to be cut in half?
cut it off, reprep, redesign, recement.
if you want it done right there isnt a substitution for this process. might be time to shop for a new (quality oriented) dentist. but hey, maybe consulting a dr would be a better option

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The crown will become even more opacious after recontouring therefore it would need to be reglazed.

N

NET

Reaction score
cut it off, reprep, redesign, recement.
if you want it done right there isnt a substitution for this process. might be time to shop for a new (quality oriented) dentist.
If I leave it alone and do not redo, what would be the consequences aside for the aesthetic factor?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We can't see how it occludes with your opposing teeth. If it is way out of occlusion, your opposing tooth/teeth, could super erupt and move. It may be "ok".

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If I leave it alone and do not redo, what would be the consequences aside for the aesthetic factor?
If you can floss and your bite is ok then you should get used to it as the dr says. The good news is that it's the strongest tooth in your mouth.
You should be fine.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
None of you should be discussing this with a patient.
None of you are the patients dentist and in most of the U.S. if you are evaluating and communicating with a patient about their treatment plan you are practicing dentistry without a license which is a class a felony in most jurisdictions.

The fact that you do not know better is scary and indicative of the need for an overhaul of the profession.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
None of you should be discussing this with a patient.
None of you are the patients dentist and in most of the U.S. if you are evaluating and communicating with a patient about their treatment plan you are practicing dentistry without a license which is a class a felony in most jurisdictions.

The fact that you do not know better is scary and indicative of the need for an overhaul of the profession.
there are 99 pages regarding dental crowns on WebMD.com
we should throw their asses in prison!!! every last electronic data byte of info! :rolleyes:
https://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=dental crown

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
none of this constitutes practicing dentistry and none of the information given was a treatment plan, only advice concerning the procedure through the medium of discussing whats normal.

which is exactly what webmd was for, as well.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If you think generic statements on a website are the same as offering judgements on a specific case at the request of a oatient, then you should not be in the medical industry
we are having a discussion with an electronic user somewhere on the interwebs. those "generic statements" on webmd are just the same as whats been posted here. really, go read them. not to mention, no one here knows who this user is and if they are indeed a patient. this may come as a shock but not everyone tells the truth online. :eek:
whatever crawled up inside your ass and died this week you should prob work on having removed. and passing your judgement on who should or shouldnt be in the medical field is about as spectacular as taking advice on website for medical treatment.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
we are having a discussion with an electronic user somewhere on the interwebs. those "generic statements" on webmd are just the same as whats been posted here. really, go read them. not to mention, no one here knows who this user is and if they are indeed a patient. this may come as a shock but not everyone tells the truth online. :eek:
whatever crawled up inside your ass and died this week you should prob work on having removed. and passing your judgement on who should or shouldnt be in the medical field is about as spectacular as taking advice on website for medical treatment.
Lol nothing crawled up my backside.
Discussing treatment is not your purview, it is clearly prohibited by the professional boards of your industry.

You cannot put your head in the sand and act like your little opinion is law. Law is law. Opinions are worthless.

You guys should know this and clearly you don’t.

That’s a problem.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Stop blowing smoke and post some law and precedent. Links will suffice, til then stop pretending you care about patient care. Who knows maybe we should ask what lab made this, maybe it was yours..?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Lol nothing crawled up my backside.
Discussing treatment is not your purview, it is clearly prohibited by the professional boards of your industry.

You cannot put your head in the sand and act like your little opinion is law. Law is law. Opinions are worthless.

You guys should know this and clearly you don’t.

That’s a problem.
Jason, cmon now. i like you and i think youve brought loads of valuable info to DLN...youre being absurd. and i think you know it too. which makes it all very entertaining to say the least.
lets be reasonable here on many fronts....
1st, we dont know thats a patient, we dont know their name, their dr, or any other info that would be needed in order to ACTUALLY treatment plan
2nd, this is an online forum of quirky dental techs (except me, im the only sane one) and not a doctors office. even if that is a patient i would lend a bit more to their intelligence
3rd, any real dental techs that speak with doctors in any technical capacity do treatment planning. all the time. weekly, if not daily. with and without an Rx. again, you know this as im certain youve done it, or do a great job faking it.
4th, you said it..... "Opinions are worthless" and that is all we offer here and that includes yourself.
the only real problems here are the people creating them.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I am baffled that you all are so ignorant of the laws that govern your profession.
Commenting on the specific treatment a patient has received HAS been ruled as diagnosis and treatment planning. That is a categorical fact.

The person on this forum identifies themselves as a a patient. At that point there should be no commentary except “you have to talk to your dentist”

In today’s litigious society you owe it to yourselves to know these things. It does not have to make sense or seem reasonable...it’s the law.

I’ll link relevant board rules when I get home, but you should not be attacking me for knowing things that you yourselves should know.

You are not dentists and therefore can get
Yourselves in a lot of trouble giving “expert opinions” on a case you know nothing about.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Stop blowing smoke and post some law and precedent. Links will suffice, til then stop pretending you care about patient care. Who knows maybe we should ask what lab made this, maybe it was yours..?
Pretending I care about patient care?

That is extremely offensive and inappropriate.

We can argue theory and lab methods all day long and you can pretend your hobby is as serious as my professional organization but I draw the line when you say **** like that.

You know nothing about me and the endless hours I spend helpin patients and doing cases no one else will do because a patient cannot pay or cannot get better.

Tell you what call dental lifeline network and see who the most sincerely helpful labs are...you will find I do more pro bono work than almost anyone.

You will also find that I spend Endless hours working with young technicians teaching them how important it is to do things the right way because the patient is at the end of the process. I preach to dentists, to lab owners and to DSOs on a regular basis on the merits of doing the work well and caring about the people it is for.

Your unmitigated attacks against my character are scurrilous and unseemly...you’re not successful like I am and youre jealous? I’m successful because I do it right and I care.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Whenever someone comes on this board and starts asking questions, like this person has, I feel as if we are being trolled. I don't recall ever offering any comment in the past except that they should speak to their dentist first. I can diagnose the hell out of a case in the lab amongst my co-workers,where it doesn't make any difference, but I'll not do it here. This guy needs to go to the dental bloopers site on fb to get an idea of really bad dentistry from everyone involved.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
*sigh*
well back to work. ill be back in a few weeks to offend more snowflakes as time permits. my hobby lab is on pace for yet another record sales month....

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This isn’t the first time this has come up and it will continue to come up as long as this site is open to anyone to join. There is zero benefit to the site, it’s sponsors or members to allowing “patients” to join and there is very little benefit to them either.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry Jason youre right, Im sure you care about patients, as long as theyre paying. Were all still patiently waiting for you to produce actual court cases where people were convicted for practicing medicine without a license by answering a question on a public form, and prove your point.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
To the OP: While we all here have educated opinions, we are hobbyists and unskilled laborers, we cant really help you, you need to talk to your Dr.. In my opinion, you got the equivalent of a Big Mac crown.. Billions and billions served, it fills the hole, although poorly, and like McDonalds "youre body is just getting used to something new" Puke

Theres no time to 'fiddle' with making the crown look like your natural teeth, in most large labs.. JasonD even takes pride that your crown can be designed in less than 5 minutes. Most likely, it was made at one of a few large domestic labs that churn out hundreds or thousands just like it on an assembly line everyday.. alternatively, it could have been made in China by a 15 year old kid, who may or may not come back after Chinese new year.

If you want it done right, ask your Dr to use a local lab that can communicate with you to get what you want, and paid for. Informed patients are a bad Drs worst nightmare..

Since you know what cement and material was used, Im sure you can tell us the name of the lab that made it?

Top Bottom