Sirona MC X5

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Wow! Wow! Wow! .....Wow! I can usually come to this site for help and answers when they arise and I appreciate the people who have reached out and actually helped. Instead of using this site as a way to publically display your insecurities and inability to succeed or even to work with other humans. The equivalent of what I just read is like a black guy coming on a white supremacist group discussion. Easy to be the bad man on campus when it's you and all your friends against one guy.

Im so embarrassed right now for the uneducated opinions...OPINIONS....of the technicians that contributed to this feed. You people have completely lost sight of why we all got into this business in the first place. Helping people.

I dropped a full ride art scholarship to go to dental lab school. At the time business was incredibly succesful. The year I graduated was the year zirconia showed it's face. You can imagine my joy. But face it, this business made some technicians a ton of money for only having a two year degree. The guys I've worked for all had brand new trucks, wives that stayed home, huge homes, four wheelers, boats, vacations, employee benefits and raises...a pretty decent living. As soon as I graduated it went digital??? And suddenly my dream of having success as they did started fading. That year I graduated there were 14 dental labs to send resumes to...today there are 2 and the program I graduated from isn't a program anymore...most of them are closed today in fact. This skill and trade suddenly became a job overnight. So I began going back to my roots as an artist for extra money. I got hired to do a published children's book, which was always my dream. When I handed the final drawings in to the publishing company the lady said something that I'll never forget and that also changed my life..."oooo you hand drew these?" I thought to myself "as opposed to what"? I'm 34 years old and the technological world has been just as difficult for me to embrace as anyone older than me. But here's the lesson....the whole world has gone digital!!!!! Even art! There's no escaping it. You have to learn to roll with the times and embrace the change or your going to turn into a very alone and bitter technician who nobody wants to work with. All that doctor did was get on board the digital train. He is also smart enough to get on board a social media site of nothing but technicians and mostly a helping hand. He's smart to be the very few dentists we have on here and hopefully you guys didn't screw it up for the smart technicians who know without a doubt that we need him for our success. The smartest and most skilled technicians are either in-office or extremely close with their dentists. That doctor put in a ton more money and effort into his success than any of us did. It's so easy to be jealous of others but very few are willing to put in the same effort as they did for their success. That's like a nurse thinking she should get the same pay and respect as the doctor bc as we all know they do most the work. But is what it is...and we all know that going into it. I was going to go to be a dentist but I sat in on an implant case and the blood made me so nauseous that it didn't take long for me to realize this isn't for me.

I can't believe the ignorance of most the technicians that responded to this....your an embarrassment and give us all a bad name. You have to think outside the box to have success these days as a dental technician....the most obvious being an in-house technician working hand in hand with the dentist. And nowadays if you have a dental practice and don't offer same day crowns then your going to quickly fade while the younger guys come in and work circles around the old school mentality.
The way for dentists to compete and stand above the rest is to hire a skilled dental technician to work in-office. I feel so bad for that dentist and how you guys treated him. Wake up and educate yourselves...that doctor didnt invent this technology;)
You realize this is two years old? Also, the only person that gave the Doc a hard time was John Wilson, and he isn't here anymore either. Did John come off a little strong to the Doc in the beginning because the Doc sounded like he wanted to play Lab Tech?...yeah, he was. Just because you can play Lab Tech, doesn't mean you should, let alone be successful. Any reputable Doc will tell you, you make your money at the chair not at the lab bench. Besides, the Doc wasn't any patsy, he fired back (and good for him). I'm still shaking my head about why we needed to hear about your diatribe of art school...can I have those five minutes of my life back please?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i reckon he cant make a go of it and is looking for a job with sirona teaching up skilling dentist how to be techs.

L

Lindsay Patterson

Reaction score
You realize this is two years old? Also, the only person that gave the Doc a hard time was John Wilson, and he isn't here anymore either. Did John come off a little strong to the Doc in the beginning because the Doc sounded like he wanted to play Lab Tech?...yeah, he was. Just because you can play Lab Tech, doesn't mean you should, let alone be successful. Any reputable Doc will tell you, you make your money at the chair not at the lab bench. Besides, the Doc wasn't any patsy, he fired back (and good for him). I'm still shaking my head about why we needed to hear about your diatribe of art school...can I have those five minutes of my life back please?

I have a perfect solution....Don't read it:) Ill actually take the hour back it took to write that. I may or may not have had a few brews that night. I do stand by what I said but in retrospect I should have moved along after reading it:) o well live and learn and no animals were hurt in the making of that post:) love ya guys...no hard feelings!

L

Lindsay Patterson

Reaction score
i reckon he cant make a go of it and is looking for a job with sirona teaching up skilling dentist how to be techs.

I'm a she and I am an in-house tech for 6 dentists...I'm doing alright:) sorry for the rant....moving on:)

G

grantoz

Reaction score
sorry about getting your gender wrong but i was right about the rest .my bad moving on.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Thankfully Jake had the good sense to feel out the cooler heads, ask around, and make friends and peace. He hasnt been seen for a while, but he is ok and sorted out now. But yes Lindsay. It very much is an oldboys club; after all theres dentaltown, and dentalhygienistnetwork. I think we deserve a niche spot of our own. Then again if some of us had fewer problematic dentists, we might not be such dramaqueens or spiteful b1tches.

Anyway dont worry about Jake. He is properly sorted out now.

W

Willard

Reaction score
I think ole Jake makes cowboy boots also
So I figure he can handle most stuff he steps in.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Jake purchased a Versamill back then and is doing quite well. We hear from him often. He calls mostly just to chat. He is ex-military and really is a great guy in what I would call a highly rural, remote location.

G

GStClair

Reaction score
Do you know Josh Green? He started Green Dental Laboratories in Heber Springs, AR. He's not doing very well right now (bad health). There's a tech who did well for himself. I don't know how much he sold his lab for, but it was a bundle! I knew Josh when he was in the back of Dr. Cleon Wilson's office. Basically, just a 15' x 20' add-on. He was a go-getter!

I believe that National Dentex bought out that laboratory!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This thread should be required reading for all newbs. Great vintage DLN.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Ok Gang.....I'm keeping all options open in search of the right mill for my office. Has anyone used/own the Sirona MC X5? Suppose to be "opening-up" to accept .stl files (but I hear it cost $3000/year for the honor).

What say you?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I just left Chicago Winter meeting and I was told that it will be opened up completely by the end of 2020, but knowing Sirona, I would not hold my breath. Get yourself an open system and there are plenty of good deals on the market now during and after the show.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I just left Chicago Winter meeting and I was told that it will be opened up completely by the end of 2020, but knowing Sirona, I would not hold my breath. Get yourself an open system and there are plenty of good deals on the market now during and after the show.
Whatever you do, do not take their word for it. I have an mcx5. It will accept stl files in its cam software, but I would never buy another one! It is my backup mill now. I run 99% of my stuff through my 5x400 versamill.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not take their word for it. I have an mcx5. It will accept stl files in its cam software, but I would never buy another one! It is my backup mill now. I run 99% of my stuff through my 5x400 versamill.
The mill will accept stp files but the scanner is a closed system CDT. To convert to STL and nest into a Sirona milling machines you have to pay license fee. I was told the licensing fee will be gone by the end of 2020. Just wanted to be clear and the reputation is not as good as some of the other milling machines in the market.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
As far as the licensing fee, ask them to put that in writing because they've pulled this stunt before trying to get labs to buy the mill.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If it isn't in writing and signed, it's worthless.

The difference between an actor and a salesman is whether you pay before or after watching the performance.