Sirona MC X5

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Ok Gang.....I'm keeping all options open in search of the right mill for my office. Has anyone used/own the Sirona MC X5? Suppose to be "opening-up" to accept .stl files (but I hear it cost $3000/year for the honor).

What say you?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ok Gang.....I'm keeping all options open in search of the right mill for my office. Has anyone used/own the Sirona MC X5? Suppose to be "opening-up" to accept .stl files (but I hear it cost $3000/year for the honor).

What say you?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Get some good aftermarket cam to run it. There's plenty of choices. Invest in one that you can get support rather than in sirona where you remain shackled

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Get some good aftermarket cam to run it. There's plenty of choices. Invest in one that you can get support rather than in sirona where you remain shackled

I believe you're right! I just had to ask. I still have some Sirona equipment I could trade in, but deep down, I know just to walk away. Appreciate your guidance!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Are you just looking to mill wet emax blue blocks? Vhf n4 is a small compact wet mill open for stl and comes with a very good basic cam. Also Roland has a small wet mill as well. If looking for wet/dry 5axis vhf s1 or wieland select hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Hey Sevan,

Wasn't aware of the Vhf models! Thanks for the input.

I've had two of the Sirona millers (old compact and presently MC X). I've only wet milled eMax, glass ceramics, and the hybrids. I do a ton of eMax, but zirconia is coming of age. I'm interested in buying a miller that's capable of doing everything but metal. Looking closely at the Versamill 5XS and Ceramill Motion 2.

Once again, I appreciate your time and input!

Take care! Jake

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Wet/dry mills are great but you will have a down time when switching between wet and dry. You can do it I just don't recommend it.

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Wet/dry mills are great but you will have a down time when switching between wet and dry. You can do it I just don't recommend it.

Hmmmm....I see where ya going! Set up two....one dry.....one wet. If you had to choose on a wet mill.....what say you? You can pm me if you want.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How many crowns are you doing a month?

How many of these crowns are you CURRENTLY producing in your office vs sending out to a lab?

Is your existing equipment paid off?

How long have you been in practice

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Hey John,

Equipment paid off....36 years in business.....only send out zirconia.....place and restore all my implants....I do enough crowns.....I don't usually pack class II's....mill'em out of Lava Ultimate (a lot better restoration....and better contacts).

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Probably a small dedicated wet miller would be smart! 4 axis good enough? Do they make a small 5 axis wet mill?

M

mptz

Reaction score
does anyone own a mc x5 just wanted to know how reliable they are seen it in action wet to dry very quick. can mill almost anything in the uk it is open there are no annual fee. I have a k5 vhf which mills dry really well so far wondering if I should have bought the sirona. here the cost is 17000 +20% tax for vhf sirona is 22000+20% tax. I have seen the n4 in action very fast and very accurate and small. It can also now mill abutments from medentika

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hey John,

Equipment paid off....36 years in business.....only send out zirconia.....place and restore all my implants....I do enough crowns.....I don't usually pack class II's....mill'em out of Lava Ultimate (a lot better restoration....and better contacts).

Are you restoring your own implants in house?

Yeah I am asking a bunch of questions for a reason,

I always like to debate a Dr's path on why they choose to do restorative dentistry and LAB WORK. I read in another post that money wasn't the reason which made me smile.

You see Dr, you come on OUR forum, looking for us to help YOU, make us even less viable in this tough industry. You have been doing this a claimed 36 years so I will assume you have developed some relationships with artisans/tech over the years that are/were passionate and committed to the betterment of dentistry. When you moved into chair side milling did you once think of the effect that you were having on these trusted and long term relationships that counted on your continued loyalty? Was your initial path financially based at that moment since you claim it isn't now?

Yes you can see I am passionate. Yes I am an advocate for the dental techs and yes I will not make it easy to eliminate true craftsmanship. I embrace digital, I exploit it and I partner with clients that understand the TEAM approach to dentistry.

I definitely do not claim to speak for the majority of members on this site, but I stand on my own as a long time CONTRIBUTOR to this site and express my opinions and stand by them. I am sure there have been other Dr's come on this site and pretend to be a tech to get a better treatment so I commend you for being completely transparent.

Just take a minute to realize we have worked YEARS to get where we are, we work hard and invest back into our labs with technology to allow us to be viable longer. The fact that the DIFFICULT cases are not something YOU or most other chair side milling clients can do makes me all the more VIABLE. With that being said It makes ZERO sense to empower a client/dr to make them feel they do not need us. Am I being selfish now and self serving? Of course, pretty much like every client that ever eliminated the "Easy" cases from their labs bottom line by investing in CEREC.

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Whoa! Holy Cow John!! Sit down.....have a beer!

I didn't know this was a "tech" only forum......excuse the hell out of me!

Are there some security issues going on in your life? You know, when I talk to a new patient and we're talking about a treatment plan and options. If I see any doubt in their eyes, I usually offer to give them copies of their radiographs and my recommendations, and give them an opportunity to get a second opinion. I actually encourage them.

Where in the world did you come up with the idea dentist shouldn't/couldn't do restorative work? I didn't see any lab techs when I was going through dental school.

You've questioned some of my intentions and statements above with your post. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you here. If enough moderators, members, sponsors, etc. want me gone....so be it. I surely didn't want to disturb anyone.

If you don't have enough work, you might want to take a good look at yourself! Get some counseling!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You should have asked our opinion about Lava Ultimate first.

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Dontknow I guess so!! I'm still scratching my head! I wish John all the best. Really!
I'll talk with an Administrator tonight.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Whoa! Holy Cow John!! Sit down.....have a beer!

I didn't know this was a "tech" only forum......excuse the hell out of me!

Are there some security issues going on in your life? You know, when I talk to a new patient and we're talking about a treatment plan and options. If I see any doubt in their eyes, I usually offer to give them copies of their radiographs and my recommendations, and give them an opportunity to get a second opinion. I actually encourage them.

Where in the world did you come up with the idea dentist shouldn't/couldn't do restorative work? I didn't see any lab techs when I was going through dental school.

You've questioned some of my intentions and statements above with your post. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you here. If enough moderators, members, sponsors, etc. want me gone....so be it. I surely didn't want to disturb anyone.

If you don't have enough work, you might want to take a good look at yourself! Get some counseling!

I am pretty sure you went to dental school to be a dentist and not a lab tech. It makes no sense from a business standpoint and if you want to debate numbers I am happy to go that route.

As for your tenure here and or your longevity I will bet regardless of my frank statements that are obviously my opinions and not that of the site or any other member. I will say like most people looking for their own betterment you will not last or contribute to the betterment of this site by doing anything more than taking from it.

As for my security sir this is my name and everyone that knows me knows how to get ahold of me. I am not embarrassed or ashamed of my statements and openly would say this to your face. Not as a pissing contest but because I am so passionate in my beliefs for an industry that has provided a very lucrative life for me my family and my employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake Dobbins

Jake Dobbins

Reaction score
Awhh what the hell.....tried walking away from this, but it ain’t my style. We shouldn’t let piss-ant cyber bullies walk a wide path.

Just for the record, I thought I would explain a few things. I HAVE BEEN a dentist for 36 years. For 29 of those years I’ve always used a commercial lab. For my crown & bridge, Lyle Partridge was the man!! One day I woke up….and he was dead. For a couple of years I tried this lab and that lab. Never really found consistent work that suited me. Just couldn’t find that relationship I had with Lyle.

So, 7 years ago I bought into Cerec. I loved the process! My patients loved the same day dentistry. My practiced grew. I was the dentist in my area who could get it done in one day (most of the time). Being technically inclined (been building computers for over 20 years),my job became exciting and enjoyable again. Digital dentistry is here!

In the short time I’ve been a member of DLN, I’ve offered to send people some work, contributed to questions, was asked and will send files of CS3600 scan to a member who asked, and I’m in the process of spending $50,000 with one of your sponsors.

Have I asked questions? You bet! And most people have been very friendly and cordial. I deeply appreciate it too.

I’ve asked an administrator if this was a “tech” only forum. Haven’t heard a peep! Either they’re chicken-**** to answer or way too busy! Either way, it doesn’t matter.

So….to be publicly chastised for performing the tasks which I’m entitled to do only shows the integrity and grey matter of the person involved. There will always be people like this, but we should never just let them roll over us.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wow, take a week off and look what I missed.
Piss-ant cyber bully?
Way to try and fit in Doc! :rolleyes: