Sintra Plus heating elements and thermocouple repair cost?

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the market to get Shenpaz Sintra Plus sintering oven but need to know what the repairs will cost. I can't seem to get anyone to get back to me on this but I am sure I can count on you guys. How much does it cost to replace the heating elements and thermocouple in this unit? Can it be easily done in lab or needs to be sent out? What eles does usually go wrong with these furnaces. Thanks.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
How much does it cost to replace the heating elements and thermocouple in this unit?
IIRC around $450 for the elements (factory direct)... about one third what uncle Hank quotes ya
Can it be easily done in lab or needs to be sent out?
I did it myself, its quite easy...
What eles does usually go wrong with these furnaces.
The thick copper wire connecting the elements, the thyristor module, thermo-couple, blown fuses... (that's my list). Everything was sourced from non dental suppliers ;)

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Thank you both. You've been very helpful. I saw one on ebay , very inexpensive but it wasn't heating up fully, so I was wondering what else can be an issue. Not sure if it's worth the risk.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
So, I am thinking of getting a sintering oven in need of repairs. It doesn't fire "hot enough". Any ideas of what could cause it? He says he thinks it's thermocouple. I think it may be a heating element as well. What else comes to mind? I have no experience sintering but I suppose there are not that many more elements than in a ceramic oven? I liked to fix my ceramic ovens and it's very rewarding to do on my own so I feel challenged but need some advice on these. Is it possible it can be broken beyond repair or cost more than $5K to fix?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
So, I am thinking of getting a sintering oven in need of repairs. It doesn't fire "hot enough". Any ideas of what could cause it? He says he thinks it's thermocouple. I think it may be a heating element as well. What else comes to mind? I have no experience sintering but I suppose there are not that many more elements than in a ceramic oven? I liked to fix my ceramic ovens and it's very rewarding to do on my own so I feel challenged but need some advice on these. Is it possible it can be broken beyond repair or cost more than $5K to fix?

Here's a link to the manual:

It's a gamble, when he says it's not getting hot enough, what does that actually mean? i.e., does it reach say 1500'c but the Zr looks under fired or that it doesn't reach the desired temperature?

If the Zr looks too opaque it could be contaminated elements. If you look at the elements they should be shiny and smooth. Over time the shiny glaze can crack off exposing the metal underneath which can lead to discolouration in the Zr and an opaque appearance.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Here's a link to the manual:

It's a gamble, when he says it's not getting hot enough, what does that actually mean? i.e., does it reach say 1500'c but the Zr looks under fired or that it doesn't reach the desired temperature?

If the Zr looks too opaque it could be contaminated elements. If you look at the elements they should be shiny and smooth. Over time the shiny glaze can crack off exposing the metal underneath which can lead to discolouration in the Zr and an opaque appearance.
yes, it is a gamble. I have to assume that replacing heating elements and maybe thermocouple will need to be done. I believe the cost would be about $2500-3000 for these parts? Just wondering if there is anything else that is more expensive I didn't think about. I was told that having Shenpaz repair techs looking into the furnace computer can be costly. It would be nice to know if anyone dealt with that.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
how much does he want for the furnace?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just a $1000, so I am tempted.
I have bought stuff to fix, on purpose. But I also don't buy something I'm not sure I have a 90% chance or more of knowing the fault before buying.

With just 'not getting hot enough' you have no idea if the thermocouple is shot and all is fine, if there is a muffle fracture releasing the heat, lots of options and you could end up needing to rebuild it keeping motherboard and shell only to find the issue.

If you enjoy this sort of thing and have the money and time, don't let me get in the way. I get high fixing things. I get it.
I wouldn't do it just to save money unless you have way more time (and hair) than most lab techs.

It could be an awesome investment. It could also be a money pit.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems to me if the one on ebay was worth fixing, the seller would fix it. It sounds like they're just looking for some sucker to come along and give them a thousand bucks for it. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is....

user name

user name

Reaction score
Get the serial number. There cant be that many places that could have sold it (?). Try to find where it came from and if they have had any service contacts with the buyer.

user name

user name

Reaction score
"Doesnt get hot enough".

Youre thinking it does generate some heat. Theres an equal possibility it stays at room temp.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems to me if the one on ebay was worth fixing, the seller would fix it. It sounds like they're just looking for some sucker to come along and give them a thousand bucks for it. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is....
It was my thought, exactly.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
I have bought stuff to fix, on purpose. But I also don't buy something I'm not sure I have a 90% chance or more of knowing the fault before buying.

With just 'not getting hot enough' you have no idea if the thermocouple is shot and all is fine, if there is a muffle fracture releasing the heat, lots of options and you could end up needing to rebuild it keeping motherboard and shell only to find the issue.

If you enjoy this sort of thing and have the money and time, don't let me get in the way. I get high fixing things. I get it.
I wouldn't do it just to save money unless you have way more time (and hair) than most lab techs.

It could be an awesome investment. It could also be a money pit.

I think I will pass. I do have too much time but not enough money. It seemed too risky even for my taste.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I think I will pass. I do have too much time but not enough money. It seemed too risky even for my taste.

Let alone like the axiom says, "if it looks easy, it's hard. If it looks hard, it's impossible".

So when zero_zero, who's one taco Tuesday short of being a genius says in his post it's easy, even he could do it, fix it, means for someone like me 2 extra hours trying to figure it out, along with 3 extra posts of, "how do I?" on the forum :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Let alone like the axiom says, "if it looks easy, it's hard. If it looks hard, it's impossible".

So when zero_zero, who's one taco Tuesday short of being a genius says in his post it's easy, even he could do it, fix it, means for someone like me 2 extra hours trying to figure it out, along with 3 extra posts of, "how do I" on the forum :)
Replacing the elements is easy. Fixing unknowns, well they tend to have unknown levels of difficulty Banghead

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Replacing the elements is easy. Fixing unknowns, well they tend to have unknown levels of difficulty Banghead

Agree, it was the 3rd part, paragraph, of his post that sounded a little more intense.

Changing the elements for the S1 was a bit of a process. A little more than I thought it'd be.

Top Bottom