Sintra issue/problem

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
This story just got a whole lot more interesting....and it's going to blow your mind who is responsible for figuring it out. We know what the problem is now (give me sec to post pictures). I'm actually surprised this didn't burn the lab down!!! Seriously!!!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
They're using an SCR instead of a mechanical or solid state relay? Interesting.
It allows for more precise temperature control vs an on-off state relay and it is prolly the cheapest method at that power level...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This story just got a whole lot more interesting....and it's going to blow your mind who is responsible for figuring it out. We know what the problem is now (give me sec to post pictures). I'm actually surprised this didn't burn the lab down!!! Seriously!!!
Burnt/melted circuit breaker?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The guy's always eating.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

So....my phone rings. I answer it, hey Rob, this is Scott. At first I'm like like Scott who?....then I realize I recognize the voice....it's our own Scotty from Dominion Milling Center. He seen this thread and sent a shout out. He says, "Rob it's rarely any fuses or the eurotherm/power controller"...almost always it's the braided wire doesn't have a good connection with the heating elements, or the heating elements themselves. I told him I pulled the heating elements, nothing cracked, nothing broke, it's not the heating elements. He suggested I tug on the braided wire around the healing elements, see if anything is loose or has a bad connection....the pictures below is what Rob finds next (but scroll down further for an update).
sintra.jpg

sintra2.jpg

That's what I found...that's why all the bolts, the nuts, the top shelf have this iridescent sheen to them. So Scott from Dominion Milling Center figured it out. BUT this story goes on....(I know right)....but check this out. So i call CAP, they are really good people there, they say hey Rob, you can't fix this yourself, that wire doesn't end at a nut, it goes into a transformer, this machine has to come back to us. Well (&#*(%&&#)%....now i'm still down. CAP is looking for a loaner as we speak (not sure they have one). Scott heard about this, and has already sent me a new sintering oven, NEXT DAY AIR, with the first cycle already ran, so plug and go!!!! Scotts words, "Rob, use it for a month or two, you like it keep it and write me a check, you don't like it...crate it up and send it back to me"....Seriously, who does that? Scott could tell my six was in a jam, a hundred crowns sitting there already milled, just need sintered. So you want a great ending to a story....so if you see Scott around, you tell him what he did for Rob was really awesome!!!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It looks like an easy fix with a piece of battery cable...

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
This is a new problem we have now seen a couple of times. We have discussed with Shenpaz and have a fix that we are performing. To repair it you will need to send it to CAP and we will be happy to do the repair. If you like Scott's furnace you will have a backup for a reasonable price (shipping and repair). If you call Jay Powers at CAP he can provide you with more details.
I discussed your furnace with tech support as we need to figure out how to detect this issue more quickly. We are now working on it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hi Rob,
This is a new problem we have now seen a couple of times. We have discussed with Shenpaz and have a fix that we are performing. To repair it you will need to send it to CAP and we will be happy to do the repair. If you like Scott's furnace you will have a backup for a reasonable price (shipping and repair). If you call Jay Powers at CAP he can provide you with more details.
I discussed your furnace with tech support as we need to figure out how to detect this issue more quickly. We are now working on it.
Hi Bob, I think Shenpaz should have a much more detailed 'troubleshoot guide' than the non-existant one I was able to find. That was probably the frustrating part in all of it, I don't mind problems, but chasing my tail like I did in this one was frustrating. It's like the 600V ground wire completely burned completely in half and all the nearby metal (bolts, nuts, screws) all took some type of charge.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So....my phone rings. I answer it, hey Rob, this is Scott. At first I'm like like Scott who?....then I realize I recognize the voice....it's our own Scotty from Dominion Milling Center. He seen this thread and sent a shout out. He says, "Rob it's rarely any fuses or the eurotherm/power controller"...almost always it's the braided wire doesn't have a good connection with the heating elements, or the heating elements themselves. I told him I pulled the heating elements, nothing cracked, nothing broke, it's not the heating elements. He suggested I tug on the braided wire around the healing elements, see if anything is loose or has a bad connection....the pictures below is what Rob finds next (but scroll down further for an update).
sintra.jpg

sintra2.jpg

That's what I found...that's why all the bolts, the nuts, the top shelf have this iridescent sheen to them. So Scott from Dominion Milling Center figured it out. BUT this story goes on....(I know right)....but check this out. So i call CAP, they are really good people there, they say hey Rob, you can't fix this yourself, that wire doesn't end at a nut, it goes into a transformer, this machine has to come back to us. Well (&#*(%&&#)%....now i'm still down. CAP is looking for a loaner as we speak (not sure they have one). Scott heard about this, and has already sent me a new sintering oven, NEXT DAY AIR, with the first cycle already ran, so plug and go!!!! Scotts words, "Rob, use it for a month or two, you like it keep it and write me a check, you don't like it...crate it up and send it back to me"....Seriously, who does that? Scott could tell my six was in a jam, a hundred crowns sitting there already milled, just need sintered. So you want a great ending to a story....so if you see Scott around, you tell him what he did for Rob was really awesome!!!

Ok, I'll do it and give Scott a Winner for his thoughtfulness towards an old friend on this forum.
Rob ok'd the terms and for the oven to be shipped, so it's not just a sales tacit on Scott's part. Could he end up in making a sale, maybe,
but to have gone that distance he did, to me is impressive :)

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Update: This Saga continues...I'm going to be a pretty proficient Sintra repair tech after all this. After the suggestion to replace the fuses and find them, I went to a local electrical store...they had the little ones. No Joy my friends, replaced the little ones, still doesn't work. CAP did get back with on the part numbers, the Schein rep did have all the fuses in stock and they will be here tomorrow. Now the Eurotherm EFit is a different story, Schein doesn't have it in stock (at least two weeks out),price was $708. I spent the better part of the morning calling power controller companies, still no joy (kept being told two weeks). So I called Eurotherm myself, the actual company, asked for a distributor/supplier that might have some in stock. They gave me a name, and he did happen to have one. So stay tuned...anyone want to take bets on whether it's the big fuse or the eurotherm?

This sounds exactly like me couple months ago. I went through hell trying to get my sintra oven fixed. Eurotherm was not in stock for me at the time either. Although I get good results from Sintra I wouldnt call it reliable. I bought 2 more sintering ovens even since the incident( Not Sintra). I can sleep well at night knowing that I have 2 backup ovens. And I do not need to worry about replacement parts not in stock.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do it and give Scott a Winner for his thoughtfulness towards an old friend on this forum.
Rob ok'd the terms and for the oven to be shipped, so it's not just a sales tacit on Scott's part. Could he end up in making a sale, maybe,
but to have gone that distance he did, to me is impressive :)
It didn't come across as a sales pitch, believe it or not Scott is actually a really stand up guy. I know, he comes across as a sarcastic prick on the forums but in person and on the phone, he's laid back and when it came to this situation he went out his way to give me a call...wish he was around to post here, I think we all learned something from him, even if we walked away with a fat lip...lol

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
This sounds exactly like me couple months ago. I went through hell trying to get my sintra oven fixed. Eurotherm was not in stock for me at the time either. Although I get good results from Sintra I wouldnt call it reliable. I bought 2 more sintering ovens even since the incident( Not Sintra). I can sleep well at night knowing that I have 2 backup ovens. And I do not need to worry about replacement parts not in stock.
Yeah brother, i will have an extra one from now on, the money and time lost running around trying to find parts that don't exist has a bad taste in my mouth.

E

erykd1

Reaction score
+1 on the sintering oven from ***. We've had ours for about 1.5 years and it's running strong! And you can't beat the price :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
sintra.jpg

sintra2.jpg

Hey buddy. I’m having issues with both my sintra plus machines. Really weird inconsistent sintering results. I did all the cleaning degassing and everything. Still **** consistency. Can you tell me how you fixed yours or anyone local in the California neighborhood that does that type of work?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey buddy. I’m having issues with both my sintra plus machines. Really weird inconsistent sintering results. I did all the cleaning degassing and everything. Still **** consistency. Can you tell me how you fixed yours or anyone local in the California neighborhood that does that type of work?
Took off top, checked the main wire (has black sheath covering it). Then replaced all elements but was still inconsistent, the metal parts holding the elements and bolts/nuts all had a very thin white coat on them...once I removed that I was able to get it to work about 80% of the time consistently. I finally became so frustrated I went an ordered two S1 from Ivoclar...and haven't looked back at the Sintra since. The S1 is built a thousand times better, always consistent results plus being able to sinter Prime in a rush is nice too. Sorry I couldn't be more help but Sintra is junk, mine really only worked for 12 months and 13 days...conviently 13 days past warranty.

Top Bottom