Sintra issue/problem

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
So, my sintering oven went down today. Been going for almost two years pretty steady without any issues. The door goes up 'almost' all the way like it normally does, but instead of heating up and then the door completely closing all the way. The dam thing doesn't heat up at all. CAP said get some new heating elements. I did, $1,500 later :( but I don't think that's the issue. I'm thinking a fuse or thermocouple. I pulled the current heating elements, didn't really see much wrong with them, sure there was a slight green hue near the contact point, but didn't look like it would cause it from complete shut down. Not sure really, never had one of these...porcelain ovens seem much easier to diagnose. Anyone else run across this same problem?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So, my sintering oven went down today. Been going for almost two years pretty steady without any issues. The door goes up 'almost' all the way like it normally does, but instead of heating up and then the door completely closing all the way. The dam thing doesn't heat up at all. CAP said get some new heating elements. I did, $1,500 later :( but I don't think that's the issue. I'm thinking a fuse or thermocouple. I pulled the current heating elements, didn't really see much wrong with them, sure there was a slight green hue near the contact point, but didn't look like it would cause it from complete shut down. Not sure really, never had one of these...porcelain ovens seem much easier to diagnose. Anyone else run across this same problem?
The green is likely corrosion, and will increase the electrical resistance, requiring more amperage. Of course, other options are still available...

K

KIM

Reaction score
You should get an error message that indicates the source of the issue, no? It would indicate a TC or heating elements. With our furnaces we remote in and confirm the issue before sending parts.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
CAP said get some new heating elements. I did, $1,500 later :(
I can't believe they suckered you into buying from them when is available for the third of that price Banghead ... it was discussed here a couple of times already

The dam thing doesn't heat up at all.
Check the fuses first...you can access them easily through the back panel

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You should get an error message that indicates the source of the issue, no? It would indicate a TC or heating elements. With our furnaces we remote in and confirm the issue before sending parts.
Nope, the sintra has modules not a cpu, no error codes :(

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they suckered you into buying from them when is available for the third of that price Banghead ... it was discussed here a couple of times already

Check the fuses first...you can access them easily through the back panel
Yeah, I seen the fuses, not quite sure how to see if they are working...they aren't like regular fuses at all. As for the price, it was a packaged deal a couple years ago.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with sintra exactly after two years of light use. Its probably Eurotherm in the back that needs to be replaced. When we were troubleshooting it we didn't think it was eurotherm because the light was "green" After replacing fuses, thermocouple, and elements with no luck, I finally replaced eurotherm and the oven started heating again.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
not quite sure how to see if they are working...they aren't like regular fuses at all.
Just flip it open, there is a thick tubular ceramic fuse in it...check it with an ohm meter.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with sintra exactly after two years of light use. Its probably Eurotherm in the back that needs to be replaced. When we were troubleshooting it we didn't think it was eurotherm because the light was "green" After replacing fuses, thermocouple, and elements with no luck, I finally replaced eurotherm and the oven started heating again.
I think you are right....I'll be ordering one and replacing that before I open up those new elements.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
had same problem. its just the big fuse in the bach\k. costs about $30

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Update: As I suspected, nothing wrong with the heating elements. Did a continuity test on the fuses (everything seems fine),the Eurotherm is still giving off a green light but oven is still not heating up. Did a voltage test on each fuse, the middle little fuse gives me a different reading than the other two (might be the issue). So at this time, I'm going to send back the brand new heating elements and after reading the comments, I'll order the eurotherm power controller and replacement fuses for each of the three fuse holders. That is if they are in stock?...and CAP calls me back....left a message with 6 people in front of me. :(

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Update: As I suspected, nothing wrong with the heating elements. Did a continuity test on the fuses (everything seems fine),the Eurotherm is still giving off a green light but oven is still not heating up. Did a voltage test on each fuse, the middle little fuse gives me a different reading than the other two (might be the issue). So at this time, I'm going to send back the brand new heating elements and after reading the comments, I'll order the eurotherm power controller and replacement fuses for each of the three fuse holders. That is if they are in stock?...and CAP calls me back....left a message with 6 people in front of me. :(
Good googly moogly, don't order the fuses from them. Pick up a pack at the nearest electrical store. A 5pk shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Good googly moogly, don't order the fuses from them. Pick up a pack at the nearest electrical store. A 5pk shouldn't be more than a few bucks.
They are not typical fuses as I posted before, maybe a electrical place would have them, but I doubt it?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Part numbers on them? Google the number.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
They are not typical fuses as I posted before, maybe a electrical place would have them, but I doubt it?
They are most probably ceramic. No wire visible, but look like they are filled with a3ish material with dirt specks. I used to keep them on hand when I worked on electronics. Your microwave oven uses them too. They are for higher amperage than you could trust with a wire in a vacuum like a normal fuse.

The metal ends have the voltage and amperage marks just like 'normal' fuses. Should have anyway. Probably not much other markiings on them aside from maybe a UL or CE stamp

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Update: This Saga continues...I'm going to be a pretty proficient Sintra repair tech after all this. After the suggestion to replace the fuses and find them, I went to a local electrical store...they had the little ones. No Joy my friends, replaced the little ones, still doesn't work. CAP did get back with on the part numbers, the Schein rep did have all the fuses in stock and they will be here tomorrow. Now the Eurotherm EFit is a different story, Schein doesn't have it in stock (at least two weeks out),price was $708. I spent the better part of the morning calling power controller companies, still no joy (kept being told two weeks). So I called Eurotherm myself, the actual company, asked for a distributor/supplier that might have some in stock. They gave me a name, and he did happen to have one. So stay tuned...anyone want to take bets on whether it's the big fuse or the eurotherm?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Update: This Saga continues...I'm going to be a pretty proficient Sintra repair tech after all this. After the suggestion to replace the fuses and find them, I went to a local electrical store...they had the little ones. No Joy my friends, replaced the little ones, still doesn't work. CAP did get back with on the part numbers, the Schein rep did have all the fuses in stock and they will be here tomorrow. Now the Eurotherm EFit is a different story, Schein doesn't have it in stock (at least two weeks out),price was $708. I spent the better part of the morning calling power controller companies, still no joy (kept being told two weeks). So I called Eurotherm myself, the actual company, asked for a distributor/supplier that might have some in stock. They gave me a name, and he did happen to have one. So stay tuned...anyone want to take bets on whether it's the big fuse or the eurotherm?
Zero said big fuse. I'd bet on Zero and the big fuse.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why don't you buy another furnace mr. moneybags?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Before ordering a new thyristor module (Eurotherm),check if it works first. It is controlled by a low voltage input (0-5V, I believe)...at 5Volts, it should be at full throttle. Check if it receives proper input first, then check the output going into the transformer.
I paid around $450 CAD for mine coming from a local distributor...there might be some on ebay for a fraction of that price.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Before ordering a new thyristor module (Eurotherm),check if it works first. It is controlled by a low voltage input (0-5V, I believe)...at 5Volts, it should be at full throttle. Check if it receives proper input first, then check the output going into the transformer.
I paid around $450 CAD for mine coming from a local distributor...there might be some on ebay for a fraction of that price.
They're using an SCR instead of a mechanical or solid state relay? Interesting.

Top Bottom