Sintering Zirconia Q&A

user name

user name

Reaction score
Yup.
Biggest sinter issue effecting esthetics is not running a regular regeneration cycle though.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Yup.
Biggest sinter issue effecting esthetics is not running a regular regeneration cycle though.
Do you mean 'cleaning cycle'? Because the regeneration cycle I know, is the one to apply after 'excessive' grinding of a Zr. structure, before layering.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Do you mean 'cleaning cycle'? Because the regeneration cycle I know, is the one to apply after 'excessive' grinding of a Zr. structure, before layering.
Regenerate the elements.
Distinction with out a difference I guess.
Chris Wilson @Zubler USA has a paper somewhere on here about it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
This might help.

Attachments

• MV Heating Element Care - Process Recomendations.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • Possible impacts on translucency and colors 2.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Troubleshooting (2).pdf
    794.2 KB · Views: 43
PavlosPamborides

PavlosPamborides

Reaction score
Hi!
We're getting a slightly darker reddish-brown shade with our pre-shaded Cercon HT zirconia BLANKS, as well as less translucency. Cubic zirconia come out fine. The problem seems to be more intense when we fire a lot of pieces in the same cycle.
We're sintering in a sirona furnace. We regularly regenerate and calibrate it.
What could lead to this kind of problem?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi!
We're getting a slightly darker reddish-brown shade with our pre-shaded Cercon HT zirconia BLANKS, as well as less translucency. Cubic zirconia come out fine. The problem seems to be more intense when we fire a lot of pieces in the same cycle.
We're sintering in a sirona furnace. We regularly regenerate and calibrate it.
What could lead to this kind of problem?
Since you say it's worse when there are multiple pieces it's highly possible that you need to bump your temps for that material's cycle.

The increased mass of multiple units should not make any notable difference in outcome unless you are really overloading it.

Try 5-10 deg rise in temp and see what happens. then another 5-10 degrees.

the reported temperature is from a different location in each specific furnace, having to tweak a few degrees is not abnormal since the thermocouple will be in a differnet place in every device's design.

taht may not be the only issue or the only solution, but it should be considered.

and Take Notes!

You won't remember what and why and how in 9 months. Keep the data, not the headaches.

L

Lanny Erickson

Reaction score
Furnace calibration is very important to how your restorations fit. In fact they way we calibrate our S1 Furnace is to sinter a zirconia ring and measure it with a micrometer, depending on the amount that it shrinks we increase/decrease the calibration value in the furnace.

Voltage/amperage drops will also effect the way your furnace performs. Any large piece of equipment that draws a lot of power (any furnace) needs to be on it's own circuit in the fuse box. That means one plug/one breaker, and depending on the equipment (burnout, press, sinter) either a 20amp or 30amp circuit. This ensures that you don't have an amperage drop when another piece of equipment on the same circuit cycles on. I have seen this happen with labs that are having sporadic pressing issues all of a sudden. The lab starts to grow and adds more equipment that they plug into the same circuit as their furnace, and all of a sudden they start having short pressings. They then moved the equipment to dedicated circuits and "miraculously" their issues disappear.
I have a I have a car S1 furnace and out of the blue my unit started coming out with a yellow tint to them does anybody know what causes the yellowing is it temperature or is it possible contamination of some sort