Sintering Zirconia Q&A

user name

user name

Reaction score
With katana STML, I think slower is better. Adding some hold time at 1000 is even beneficial, but Ive been doing that on all my brands of Zr now. If youre trying to match an old PFM, run it fast.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
No, I've used 90 min cycle, please see attached photo. The crowns were stain on margin part and a little blue on incisal, no white stains or similar. So something is wrong I guess. View attachment 27082

Like and Agree with user names post. Try the normal Katana cycle, and leave the fast fire programs if needed
for frames you will be layering on. My fastest cycle that I use is ~4:30 for singles and small bridges. Ivoclar has
a 2:55 fast sinter cycle for Zenostar T, that I've never used.

I think we all need to try to get out of the race to the fastest cycle mentality that seems to be happening,
and let the Drs make those opaque looking ones chairside, while we blow them away with our properly sintered crowns and bridges.

Last edited:
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I know with our multi layer zirconia, running it too fast is detrimental to the esthetics. We have a fast sintering program (in our S1 furnace),but it is still 4.5 hrs. long.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
My experience with the Noritake UTML is pretty much the same as yours.
I cant get the translucency, it looks opaque. I have tired holding it longer, Higher temp/ lower temp. Everything I can think of

I just can't get it to work.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I popped it open. They are fine. Im thinking I need to use a separate bridge program. Slower and a little bit hotter at the hold time. Ill let you know what happens. Thanks for that though.
slower and hotter is usually a good way to sort out colour issues.

just dont get too hot. increment the temp by 10deg c only. increment the ramp by 1 deg/min.

shhot for 3deg/min to 1000, hold 30mins-50mins, 10deg/min to 1500 for 1hr, natural cool to 300 then let it sit in the open air till you can hold it.

easily 7-11hr program but longer is better.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
the opaque look you are getting is very similar but not as bad as sironas' speed firing furnace this gives me hope. as our bad crowns look better than sirona on a good day thank you for making my day better:)

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
No, I've used 90 min cycle, please see attached photo. The crowns were stain on margin part and a little blue on incisal, no white stains or similar. So something is wrong I guess. View attachment 27082
hey, rookiee shoot me a call when you can, I think I can solve your issue but would rather do it over the phone ha ha.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
What are your recommendations for "cleaning" the green-stage zirconia? i.e. how to get rid of the excess dust.
I have heard we shouldn't use air because of some trace elements created by the dryer?

elpiojoxp

elpiojoxp

Reaction score
What are your recommendations for "cleaning" the green-stage zirconia? i.e. how to get rid of the excess dust.
I have heard we shouldn't use air because of some trace elements created by the dryer?
Hello, I just use a brush and pressured air, also I use a microbrush to clean the inside of the crown and pressured air. I neved had any issue with ¨trace elements created by the dryer¨. I throw some air into my hand and observe that only air comes out before throwing the air into the zirconium.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
I just took a look at Amann Girrbach's instructions (we use their Zi) and it says to use a brush and compressed air, so it seems what I heard was wrong.

R

rdcdt

Reaction score
I have an all on 4 zirconia frame that is too big to fit in my sintering crucible! Anybody have any ideas. My sintering furnace is a Shenpaz plus. I have beads and a no bead crucible. Can I put a piece of green zirconia under it? Once it shrinks it will fit.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I have an all on 4 zirconia frame that is too big to fit in my sintering crucible! Anybody have any ideas. My sintering furnace is a Shenpaz plus. I have beads and a no bead crucible. Can I put a piece of green zirconia under it? Once it shrinks it will fit.
You will need a furnace with a larger muffle such as MihmVogt or Dekema. If you outsource the sintering you should also look for someone that simters large hybrids using the same zirconia.

R

rdcdt

Reaction score
It will fit in my oven. It just won’t fit in the crucible. By about 4 mm. My framework has a arch support and if I could put something under it then it would fit over the top of the crucible. It is so close! I’m thinking now that I might try to cut slots in my crucible so that it will fit.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
If you have a sintering block with a flat bottom milled as part of the file you can also sinter the arch standing up, vertically.

R

rdcdt

Reaction score
Yes that is what I have. The framework is very wide. Do I have to use a crucible? Can I just set it upright on the platform?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
You can stand it up directly on the insulation table. No need for a tray.

R

rdcdt

Reaction score
Ok. That’s what I’m going to do. Grinding on this crucible is getting me nowhere fast! Thanks for you’re help on a holiday!

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
HELP Please! My lab is mostly shut down as my sinter heating elements stopped working (2yrs old)...I have crowns backing up, and my vendor in LA says it might take 10-14 days to get new elements! (my machine is AG ceramill therm 3). BTW I'm in Las Vegas