Sintering position

S

SpeedDMD

Reaction score
I am new to this and I wanted opinions. The support company says the flat (horizontal) position is better. Why would vertical not work? Dekema 674i 20210602_161513.jpg 20210602_165019.jpg

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
There are so many opinions out there on which way is better, no support or with support, vertical or horizontal these are going to always be debated.

I can tell you, I know so many labs that do it one way or the other and they can't tell the difference, the only thing you need to pay attention to is if you put more than one bridge in, you may have to change the holding time on your firing cycle.

S

SpeedDMD

Reaction score
Does the fact that the support and only a few teeth are touching the table increase the chance of issues? Would I have been better off trimming the base so more teeth are there in the horizontal position.
I have seen the difference in a short (6 unit) tooth borne bridge that distorted without the support and when re-done with the support, did not. In that case, I sintered it vertical on the base but it did not stand as tall of course.
The issue that the support person brought up was heat distribution being that 'tall' may not be the same.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
We sinter vertical in our Ivoclar Programat S1-1600 furnace. It works well, but if your going to do it, I would recommend a vertical bar from the terminal tooth to the base for vertical support.

If you are going to lay it down with a support, it must be supported on the tray all the way around. How you have it in the photo would lend towards it warping due to only the anteriors and the base touching.

prosthotech

prosthotech

Reaction score
We have sintered almost a thousand frames and our in house experiments show vertical sintering results in the least warping/twisting of the full arch zirconia frameworks. Be mindful of your spruing strategy to best support the framework against "sagging" by making the supports resemble a tree, with the supports aimed upwards when resting on the base.

Also, slow the ramp on heating and cooling to minimize latent stress. This is especially true when adding any porcelain and even glaze. We settled on halving our heat and cool rates for all full arch frames.

S

SpeedDMD

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies.