Sinter beads or not?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im curious. Dekema oven has both a tray to use with sinter beads, and a newer tray material that doesnt use beads; apparently no drops either. Just set the units on the tray. Good, bad?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
ZirkonZahn has been using a beadless tray since the beginning. We never had any problems. However, I only use it with ZirkonZahn zirconia... I have tried other zirconia materials and have gotten a crack here and there.

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
For the price of some beads,,I would use them, if anything will only aid in the process. (shrink rate)

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Use your sintering beads, when the units shrink the 20 to 25% they will help out with rolling the units and wont create friction and have the units hang up.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
We sell 200 grams of 1mm or 2mm beads for $30 if anyone is interested.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
user, your beads eventually will become unuseable. either they will stick to the tray or will get discolored and discolor your product. change them every couple months.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
It's less surface area for the Zirconia to be against as they shrink, and easy for them

to move as they do shrink. I agree with Luke, change them out every couple of months.

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
Yes i have talked to many labs that say they have used with and without Beads and Many (as in %95) go back to using beads as they like the Consistent results that it brings. However as Kent and CoolHand said change the beads out every couple of months as they Will discolor your Zirconia. I also recommend when you change out your beads, also purge your Oven to suck the contaminants from your muffle - (I can give you instructions on how to do that if needed)

user name

user name

Reaction score
We sell 200 grams of 1mm or 2mm beads for $30 if anyone is interested.
What are sinter beads made of? Are some inferior to others? Why such a huge price difference between brands? Why two different sizes?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
What are sinter beads made of? Are some inferior to others? Why such a huge price difference between brands? Why two different sizes?

As far as I know our sintering beads are made from zirconia. Why the different sizes? That's a great question I believe it's all personal preference.

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
I like big balls Bird yes I know I left that open for y'all to crack jokes so go ahead but I like the bigger ones. They don't get stuck in the secondary anatomy when the FCZ units are shrinking during the sintering process.

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score

There are two types, alumina beads and zirconia beads. Alumina beads work but not as well as the zirconia beads. There are 2 different ways of making the zirconia beads. From these two methods, there are either pearly beads or chalky beads. If you are using white zirconia, either bead type will usually work just fine. However I have heard that if you are sintering shaded zirconia you must use pearly beads to keep the zirconia from forming white spots. For some reason the chalky beads seem to absorb into the colored zirconia, causing white spots. While some people have told me they have had no problems with using chalky beads and shaded zirconia together, many labs have.

Smaller 0.5mm beads are good for bridges as they give you even sintering. The 2mm can be used for any restoration.

Price difference depends on the purity level of the zirconia sintering beads. The more pure the more expensive they tend to be.

Hope this helps. If you like, call me and I can provide more details over the phone.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
For guys wondering about beads or not, I have sinterd a TON of units and do not use any beads. I have a plate :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
a zirconia plate?

L

labtek

Reaction score
Its an alumina plate that is included with the ovens I have.

http://thermo-star.de/tl_files/docs/Ersatzteile/M2plus - BHM (de en).pdf

John,
Can you provide more details about your process with this alumina plate. It appears as though the sintering beads get contaminated and then we have to throw the whole batch out and start with more. It is usually after the spots appear that this happens, so is there a protocol to when one should change the beads?
IF you are still not using beads, do you change out your plate or do a degassing program to clean it up? Do you lay your crowns on the tray with the margins up or margins down? Can we just skip the beads and fire directly on our firing crucible/bowl.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John,
Can you provide more details about your process with this alumina plate. It appears as though the sintering beads get contaminated and then we have to throw the whole batch out and start with more. It is usually after the spots appear that this happens, so is there a protocol to when one should change the beads?
IF you are still not using beads, do you change out your plate or do a degassing program to clean it up? Do you lay your crowns on the tray with the margins up or margins down? Can we just skip the beads and fire directly on our firing crucible/bowl.

Yes margins up is how I do it IMG_0510.JPG

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
For an incredible amount of money you could pay ~$250.00 for the smaller beadles one Ivoclar uses with their S1 ovens? They're very fragile, and can break easily if you're not careful with them...don't ask me how I know :rolleyes::eek: