should i start my own lab?

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score
And as far as asking mark for advice on starting a lab.. hes the last person to ask. Do you really think the lambo drivin lab owners give a crap about the small guys? Other than what it takes to crush them or strangle them with regulations they cant afford to keep up with. Hes a valuable resource no doubt, in enforcing federal beauracracy and stalking wild prey, but out of touch with small labs.. if you want his opinion theres no shortage of it on fb and dt. Respectfully JMO..

Hi Affinity,

Ok. I was mainly suggesting an NADL course on the business side of things by Mark.

Though Mark and I don't really know each other we have exchanged posting at LMT's Bridge. I once started a very controversial post at the Birdge...I asked a simple question...who is better a CDT or a Non-CDT. So, that is how I met Mark and a whole lot of other people.

Though I agree with some of what you mentioned above, I think his course would be helpful to Kmart...though from his last post, Kmart seems to have been planning and thinking this out for a while now. He will probably do well with time. Good luck Kmart! Lab is good!

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
That sounds great,
I'm sure there are a ton of people on the forum that can help you in the right direction, If you can weave through some of the unnecessary bias, libel, inuendo and discrimination that obviously goes on here...some in jes of course and but some just not necessary when we all need to create a more professional image for dental technology and help it emerge it from the rough " backroom workshop" image that it has had in the past.

I don't know if you have anything at all in the way of CAD CAM but maybe a good place to start is with CAD software to get a feel for it. Maybe one of the sponsors could give you a trial version of some software and a bit of a hand getting started with it.

What do you say sponsors...any hands up?

You could call your lab... "You Cad!"

Terry you have to admit that sometimes taking off the nametag and kicking around with your buddies is nice from time to time. Personally, If i wanted to show off my textbook knowledge I'd go hang at the townie board.. I like it here, and the unnecessary bias that comes with it. Your pretty new here so understand that a lot of us regulars are friends, and we talk smack sometimes, and we don't always agree..but it's OK.
I've used the Cerec software but that's about it. I know I have my work cut out for me, I'll start pouring over the Cad/Cam forums soon.

prodigy1

prodigy1

Reaction score
Go for it Kmart there is no magic number of years you need to work before it makes you lab owner ready. If you think your work is good and you have a pool of potential clients go for it. Long hours for yourself is different than long hours for someone else. But I agree always continue to educate yourself and improve your skills. Pray and make sure your spouse (If you have one) and you are on the same page and if so go for it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Jose, i have no problem with mark at all, im sure hes a great guy. Being a certified tech is one thing..but inviting the Feds willingly i to our industry is a huge problem to me.. and hes the biggest proponent.. i understand there is interstate and international commerce in our industry... but begging the fda to stick its pinocchio nose into our business is craziness. The big will be gargantuan and our cottage industry, which i cherish, will die eventually..

If you want a real success story look at keating.. if you want to become a success story, realize owning a lab isnt about making crowns at all... but SELLING them. OWN the e-myth and read it 3x minimum.

If you dont want to fail, dont ever try.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Pray and make sure your spouse (If you have one) and you are on the same page and if so go for it.
The best piece of advice ever to grace the pages of the internet!

K

kmart

Reaction score
I gotta say I'm with Pete on this one. I just can't wrap my head around the fact of working til 10 at night for someone else when they are the only ones That reap the rewards. I guess you could say that I'm getting extra experience for doing that but how many contacts and what not do you have to grind until you just can't learn anything more? I'm not saying I don't have anything to learn because there is always room for improvement but I'm sure you get my point. I just feel like I've learned everything I can from my employer due to the fact that he won't show me other things. How do I know this? Because he's told me that he doesn't want me to learn to much because he knows I would start my own lab.

I'd also like to note that before I ran this lab I had never trimmed a die, stained and glazed an emax, or stacked porcelain. Out of about 600 crowns I've had 4 remakes. I'd like to thinks that's a low percentage.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I just feel like I've learned everything I can from my employer due to the fact that he won't show me other things. How do I know this? Because he's told me that he doesn't want me to learn to much because he knows I would start my own lab.

I would start preparing an exit strategy. If you have friends in the industry, maybe they'll let you work from their lab. You could pay them a rental fee. Or build a temporary lab in your basement (if you have one). If you're getting paid well, ask to work part time.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'd also like to note that before I ran this lab I had never trimmed a die, stained and glazed an emax, or stacked porcelain. Out of about 600 crowns I've had 4 remakes. I'd like to thinks that's a low percentage.

OK. Now I gotta see your work.
That's crazy that you can run a lab without any experience.

K

kmart

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I dont have ANY experience. I think I have a fairly good understanding of MOST applications in the crown & bridge section. Yes, they are by no means mastered, but they are obviously good enough to to suit the doctors needs. I should say that I don't have much experience at all in porcelain work, but I know what the overall goal is.

I'll try to get some pics up so you can look and then critique me, which I think would be great to here others perspective

jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
Your answer lies in where you want your career to go. We've had many over the years leave our high-end lab thinking the grass is greener running their own lab. What usually happens is they get caught up doing commodity dentistry competing primarily on price to bring work in the door. Their skills atrophy and they end up working their butts off for a modest income, with a rediculously low hourly rate. Many of these technicians return to us in 4-5 years assuming they can pick up where they left off, only to find that others have surpassed them in the pecking order both in seniority and skill.

There is nothing wrong with leaving and owning your own lab. However you need to decide whether you are in the business of making teeth or making money. Precious few figure out how to do both tasks well. You should be honest about your business acumen and your ability to forge meaningful relationships with customers beyond price. You should also make friends with smart people and listen to them. Not all lab technicians have the stomach to handle the risk and multiple responsibilities that go with running a lab. Know who you are, your strengths and weaknesses, and have clear goals and objectives about your future.

F

FillMeIn

Reaction score
Speak to your current boss about partnership.. Either a slice of your current satellite or for you to open another somewhere else.. If you have helped him run this satellite successfully he will either see you as an asset he doesn't want to lose or a good opportunity to further his portfolio. Going solo is hard, especially 4 years in. In keeping him as a partner you have his experience to help you push forward and to fall back on urging the inevitable hiccups..

On the CAD argument, if you can't see they way this business is going you won't have long before you are left behind IMO.. I know if you're not doing the number of units to make the figures work it seems money down the drain, but think of it as an investment in knowledge and experience for when CAD completely Dominates our industry.. Which might not be too far off.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Terry you have to admit that sometimes taking off the nametag and kicking around with your buddies is nice from time to time. Personally, If i wanted to show off my textbook knowledge I'd go hang at the townie board.. I like it here, and the unnecessary bias that comes with it. Your pretty new here so understand that a lot of us regulars are friends, and we talk smack sometimes, and we don't always agree..but it's OK.
I've used the Cerec software but that's about it. I know I have my work cut out for me, I'll start pouring over the Cad/Cam forums soon.

Dear Mr Fox,
I can appreciate where you are coming from and thanks for your candour.
Each of us takes off this name badges and kicks around in different ways, I'm sure you will agree... I actually play in a rock and roll band in Australia.. Same band 27 years so that's one of the ways I do it.

I'm very comfortable in my own skin so being new here I am happy to introduce myself as me. Possibly later I will get an alias.. whatever If we agent comfy, but not in the beginning. Not needed, and probably not earned.

Yes new to this forum indeed, but I no way trying to big note myself , in fact I have a good sense of humour, check my posts, and you will get the underlying tones and jabs and laughs from me.Actually all part of what you like about the place. And I, like most everyone here am here to share stuff, have a giggle and if we not too careful, learn something.
Best,
Terry

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Oh yea and we do play "Fox On The Run" Ace Frehley version ... :)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What's the name of this Aussie rock band?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
The Bedrockers

Very famous in out own lunchtimes! LOL

Beats making love to a milling machine or a wax knife in your spare time...

Attachments

• BEDROCKERS 2013.jpg
    BEDROCKERS 2013.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 14
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You guys need to work on your stage presence. I say some caveman costumes are in order.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
You guys need to work on your stage presence. I say some caveman costumes are in order.

BED ROCKERS mmmmm is there a hidden meaning there? LOL

27 years and I still get it... "so are you Fred" ..... "hey you calling me fat? WILMA!!!! " :)

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Love the costume idea, and maybe some guitars shaped like clubs?