• Welcome to Dental Lab Network

Should I get a shell blaster?

Discussion in 'Removable' started by Trey, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Trey

Trey Member Full Member

So we tend to have a lot of stone sticking to dentures after processing. Both on the basal surface and between the teeth. I don't like using putty because it has too much give/flex during processing. I've tried many different cleaning, boiling and separator methods but we still get sticking stone.

We have never used a shell blaster but thought that might be a quick way to remove stone.

Thoughts?

2. kcdt

kcdt Well-Known Member Full Member

That's how most do it.
      I rarely have to resort to it finishing my own stuff.
      It is important to get all wax off the teeth. Even if you have to make several passes to do it.
      Seal interproximals well and avoid deep crevasses. Never floss a wax up.

I know the waxer likes to sling it out quick, but even going over it a few times is nothing compared to the time wasted trying to clean up a dirty process.

I too avoid putty/elastomerics.

Push comes to shove, a shell blaster is good way go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. droberts
      Energetic

droberts Well-Known Member Full Member

Trey,
      Would not work in this without a shell balster. A plus that I have found on the facial / buccal of the teeth during processing
      is using a PVS impression material (90 shore hardness). Placing a thin layer works the best. Purchased it off Ebay from a company in California.
      My normal routine is once they are divested, utilizing a Renfert air chisel. All shell blasted then placed in stone remover.
      This works very effective and keeps the work flow going. Note: No tooth movement!
      I know some out there have posted that they do the same placing a putty over top the the full prosthesis. Not rocket science to see that
      some movement can take place.
      Also note that I am using Ivocap material in the Ivobase machines. Using electric as the heat source, materials of PVS do have different effects, (expansion).
      The one above I am using has been rock solid.

4. Affinity
      Question

Affinity Well-Known Member Full Member

Now I see what Ive been missing, I dont process enough to justify having one and I use putty to process. They sell walnut blasters at harbor freight, might be worth a try.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Brandon Patrick

Brandon Patrick Member Full Member

A shell blaster is certainly a nice tool to have, but its possible that a few small changes could make it an unnecessary expense. I've used a shell blaster in the past and it can come in handy for other things, such as cleaning the vacuum mixing bowls when you let the stone set up in them (It's happened to all of us right? lol). I currently don't use one though. I don't use putty either, but I invest in 3 layers. It takes a few more minutes of waiting for stone to set, but I don't mind. It's important to not boil out too long 8-10 mins max I would say, or else the wax soaks into and seals the cast from the separator. Use clean boiling water (and not the dirty wax water in the tank) to rinse residual wax from the investment halves. I also do 2 coats of separator on each. It's a possibility that if the flasks are still too hot from boil-out, that some separators can evaporate before they've fully soaked into the cast. For the most part I have very little stone to clean (maybe in some cervical and interproximal areas) and unless there are tight undercuts I can usually recover the master model as well. You may have already follow some of these procedures, but if not I hope it helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. eddydy

eddydy Active Member Full Member

E11C99B3-8558-454E-9693-763ADE0B51B8.jpeg 0D09AB6D-25AA-49C8-A893-DAFB94EBB223.jpeg A shell blaster is one of the most important piece of equipment in my lab.
      Even thought I don't have to use it with all my cases, Ivoclar separating foil is the best,
      but the shell blaster is most appreciated when I get one of those lovely repairs where the
      prothesis is buried under all kind of nasty deposits. Yuk.Banghead

I just deflasked these, no shellblasting needed thanks to ivoclar seperator.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    7. sidesh0wb0b
      Sleepy

sidesh0wb0b Well-Known Member Full Member

looks great!
      whats so good about the ivoclar sep? we are injecting here with the snowrock machine. been trying diff methods of investing and separating to see whats best. the tech is harassing me for a shell blaster....its just not in the budget right now haha! but may have to since hes constantly having to dig out stone from proximals and inside the ridge. going to get on him about cleaning the wax up more as well. that will surely help

8. eddydy

I don't have any experience with snowrock, do you use regular acrylic?

I've used many different separators over the years, all of them had a common problem, they peel off, never had this with Ivoclar's.

9. Doris A
      Amused

Doris A Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

10. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Staff Member Donator Full Member

I've been so impressed with the APS separator from DVA that I actually called them to say so. Can apply it to hot or cold models and never ever has given a second of trouble.
      I have a near full gallon of alginate based separator if anyone wants it for the price of shipping.

11. sidesh0wb0b
      Sleepy

yes we use keystone sledgehammer and diamond d as well as snowrock

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. JMN
      Curious

Try this and see if it works for you as well as it does me.

Get a set of 16 fl oz tupperware knockoffs from the dollar tree. Fill them with plaster and stone remover to at least 1cm over the prosthetic. Seal lid and put it on the vibrator for a bit. Works wonders for things that are not bonded to the acrylic, but just mechanically stuck.
      Edit:
      Honestly it's just a cobbled 60hz sonicator, but with a large vibrator you can run a batch at once.

13. droberts
      Energetic

droberts Well-Known Member Full Member

I purchased the larger Trinco. Utilizing a Vaniman bag vac for dust. Also having enough room for cleaning flask.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. kcdt

My favorite. Hands down. No shelf life either. Boggles the mind why more people don't know this one

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. kcdt

Wow. That's clever. Never cease to be amazed by the problem solving in this work.

16. JMN
      Curious

The problem solving is what makes this fun.

17. David Laville

David Laville Member Full Member

I have one. My dentures breakout clean and I only get a little stone in the embrasures or tissue side. 99% of the time a few minutes in the ultrasonic removes it but it's good to have it that 1% of the time when needed, like today to remove from stone from the inside of a splint. I have one like this, doesn't take up much room and is more that adequate for my needs;
      [​IMG]

18. sidesh0wb0b
      Sleepy

hey whats the name or item number for that ivoclar sep liquid? is that the Iso-K?
      we are at the stage where we want to try something better!

19. eddydy

20. Davesgone

Davesgone Member Full Member

Wh
      Where did you get that shell blaster from?