share your knowledge?

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
are there any time saving tips or tricks you can share- anything at all! or tell me any one product you just could not do without? i am facilitating a round-table discussion (for in-house lab techs) and have some things to share- but um...yeah, not enough to fill 2 hours! i know there will be an exchange of ideas, but would like to come with a full arsenal of material to share!
*oh, can apply to any area of the orthodontic lab (models, idb's, dx setups, etc...) thanks for sharing! popcorn

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hot glue gun for attaching wires, must be hot glue, not multi temp, cleans off wire easier.
There you go, 1 hr 55 minutes to go.:rolleyes:
The JBC colors are dependable and consistent.
Winvoice for billing.
3" white stone for cutting out ret shape.(see videos)
I don't like work pans, I use trays. (see videos)
You want a copy of all videos?? I'll send you 1. If you have a laptop,
you could use that to share those. Or just cut the parts you want.
Read every thread here in ortho, if you haven't already.
Bring in suppliers #s as well. OSE, GL, Specialty...etc.
Best thing you could share may be this site, and of course, its videos.:)
Tough one really, try to get people to talk about there lab set up as well. See if they have fume control, dust control, good hand piece and lathe.I have done in office work, and still do it in the evenings. Some of those in office labs are primitive!
In Arizona Huh??? Bring sun screen. And the Mexican food is fantastic!
Maybe dance on the table for the last hour.:D
Mike.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
hey mike! i knew i could could on you for some good advice...and a laugh!you are such a pro! :D

Andi

Andi

Reaction score
Mine might be a bit basic.....

Two good anti flux agents, pencil lead and Tipex.

Label everything in the fume cupboard.....once in a bottle, one monomer looks exactly like the next!

If you have a few spare minutes (yeah, right!) and use wire from a reel, snip off suitable crib length amounts, and prepare them to the first arrow head, poke one end in a lump of foam or blue tack. Saves more time than you would think (I often do this when I'm on the phone with 0.7 ss)

Protho spray (minty polish for appliances) its fantastic, the one thing I now can't do without. Gives a lovely finish.

Ah, nearly forgot.....triple beak pliers, cost a small fortune but, boy, are they good.

Just by the by.....what are "idb's and dx setups" Probably called something else over here but guessing the first is something database.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
for in-house lab techs? How about a lock on the lab door! If nobody can get in you will get plenty done!

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
hey andi- you probably call them by another name...but the idb's are indirect bonding set ups. all the brackets are prepared with cement, placed on a model of the patents mouth, and a matrix is made so the brackets can be placed all at once in ideal position.

and the other is a diagnostic set up, when the teeth are cut apart like resetting teeth for a spring retainer, but sometimes it is an entire arch or the better parts of both arches.

thanks for sharing your experience with us! glad to have you here!

Andi

Andi

Reaction score
Lab lady....thankyou!

The dx setup...I know as either a Kesling setup or simply sectioning the model.

I have no experience of indirect bonding (kicked myself though when I saw what IDB stood for!) but it is something I have been asked about a couple of times.
I'll have a search for a good thread on it.
Is it very popular in the States?

My final nugget of knowledge.....one of the most basic but easy to not find time to do -
Keep a clean workspace, before starting a job make sure you have all componants to hand and no more than you need to clutter up the bench.

My motto, tidy space, tidy mind, tidy job (I worked in hospitals waaaaaaaaaaay to long!)
:)

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
andi- can you tell me a little about this protho spray? i have never heard of it...did look it up but am still unsure. how do you use it? does it just give a minty taste, or does it help bring out a shine?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
anyone heard of the CAD/CAM wire bending machine?

Like an automated brake line bender, used in the automotive field, only smaller.

Take a scanned model, or a digital impression file....draw a line on teeth on the screen...press button! Can a monkey do this in five years? Yup.

Objet 3D printer that can mix up to 30 different materials for the printing of plastics?? anyone?

Print flexible clear, or ridgid pink, or even harder tooth colored that transitions into enamel and all blends in between in one session? No more buying teeth and grinding.

CAD Dentures??

Yup!

There are a few companies on this path. Waiting for the software and final touches to be ready for market. Also FDA approval of the printed polymers.
Wire Bending Services on ThomasNet.com

We have the technology. Better, faster, stronger. (Lee Majors?)
That's a little of my knowlege.

6-mil.jpg

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
Wire bending tech by machine has always interested me. When this tech becomes available and reasonable, I'll get one.
At this point, Don Inman is messing with the model idea abit.
As always intial cost of this type of thing not only keeps a small lab away, but also makes it not so tasty for an office either.
There will be some that front the bucks to start, then cost will come down, then everyone will get it.
There will be very little effect concerning the loss of business for a small lab.
In the future, all labs will have th ability, as Orthodontic offices outfit themselves, and learn to use the technology correctly.
Labs will follow.

Andi

Andi

Reaction score
***, seriously?.....a wire bending machine?! Man, orthodontics for the traditionally trained technician is going to be dead in the next 10 years! Its scary, esp when it means I trained for 7 years only to get to the other side and just have button to press.

Lab lady -
Protho Clean
I dont know if it will work but a link to the protho spray. It cleans off residue from polishing etc that sometimes you just can't get to with a toothbrush (I dont have a steam cleaner) It shines up the surface really nicely (my polishing is good but this just gives it an extra edge) and it smells really nice and minty, taking away that horrid monomer smell. Really wish the dental rep hadn't shown it to me!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I waxed for seventeen years, only to give it up to a machine.

Loving it!:D

awww.b2bspringmachine.com_rimages_669_3d.jpg

anews.thomasnet.com_images_large_546_546555.jpg

awww.spring_machine.com_images_CMM_5_800R.jpg

2.jpg

aupload.ecvv.com_upload_Product_200801_2007113225059779339_CNC252e7b71fe232f607f89dd3d14ccd186.jpg
lemmings
lemmings.jpg

awww.b2bspringmachine.com_rimages_669_3d.jpg anews.thomasnet.com_images_large_546_546555.jpg awww.spring_machine.com_images_CMM_5_800R.jpg aupload.ecvv.com_upload_Product_200801_2007113225059779339_CNC252e7b71fe232f607f89dd3d14ccd186.jpg

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
Yes...the sky is falling....
Looks VERY affordable too.
I suppose if I don't go get that job as a Walmart greeter now, it to will be replaced.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Cleaning of appliances....
I use Moldent for polishing. Follow the instructions on the side, you don't get a build up that doesn't clean easily.
As for flavor and smell, I seal every appliance in a bag with a little Scope, except of course all metal.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yes...the sky is falling....
Looks VERY affordable too.
I suppose if I don't go get that job as a Walmart greeter now, it to will be replaced. (sigh)I need a reach-around by a strong man

Affordable? Depends who the investor is. Those things sell and have eliminated all human bending of wire/pipe in many industries. Are they worth it? Of course! Get a loan and be that strong man!

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
I could be a little more clear I guess......
There are no words to describe how much of a "****", I don't give, about CAD/CAM wire bending.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
dude and andy- i was thinking of you while i was polishing my retainers...i use "fabulustre" polish and i never get a buildup, and the shine is amazing!

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
I guess I'm old fashioned like Mike; I like flour pumice and moldent. Steam it and away it goes. :+)

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I started using Polycril by MDC as a substitute for Pumice (25 lbs for $39.50). It works so much better than pumice, is cheaper and has a little powdered bleach mixed in (just makes me feel better). I high shine with Shure-Shine by National Keystone (2 lb brick for $8.95). I use a steam cleaner right before sealing.

I heat seal the restorations in bags with a clear or light orange mouthwash, ie Oxyfresh (clear) or Listerine (citrus). Back in the 80's we used Scope or Listerine (green or blue),but the food coloring tint would lightly stick to the teeth or interproximal. It easily buffed off, but looked like mold when someone would open the bag. Not a good presentation of a fine acrylic work of art, if you ask me.

I also like using the Pindex to mount my removable casts. I use the short brass single pins and the grey acrylic sleeves. If I have to remount, it is as easy as grabbing a few new sleeves. I can also remove the casts when I am doing the final waxing, no base or articulator to lug around. If I am careful when I devest, the pins will allow me to remount very easily after processing.

Speaking of waxing, I also spay a little Armor All (the car stuff for making vinyl shine) on a 2x2 gauze and buff the wax when I have the wax up nearly completed. It actually helps polish the wax (the cotton is abrasive and the Armor All provides lubrication). With the slight film left, the final wax carving is then done, and the film prevents the little carving flakes from sticking back to the wax-up. The flakes can be blown off with a little compressed air. Since I keep the film to a minimum, the Armor All has never caused any contamination problems when I invest. This technique works on all wax-ups, (removable or fixed).

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Michelle,
I used to use the fabulustre on everything also, now I use it on solder joints. I like the way the Moldent works on acrylic.

Candi,
Your my kind of girl.popcorn

Mr. Zappa,
I will now try a different anti stinky in the bags. Never knew things would get sticky green in areas. Never heard about that issue, maybe cause they deliver retainers the day after they get them??? No time for the "sticky green" to stick??? 80s huh??? Went by fast didn't it.

A word on what you use to pumice, I'm sure you know. There is a problem with your lungs going south from what you use. Not right now, right now, but, later, later.
Some suppliers don't sell it for this reason.

What's a removable cast??? When I remove a model from a fixator, or articulator....I use a hammer.....very effective all purpose tool!:D
Only wax I use is to cover over springs in acrylic. I use the pink stuff, comes in sheets in a 5 lb box. I steam it away after the appliance comes out of the pot. Makes for a real nice house for the spring. I also use it to reset teeth, and it gets stuck to my shoes as well and then to the carpet in the house. I really need to be more careful.
I to use armor all, just ....on my car though....
Thanks for your info Mr. Zappa!!!:cool: