Share your designing computer specs (3Shape)

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Car, that is the setup I have. We have tried everything, including a day with a 3shape rep over the phone. I honestly think the computer is sub par to the needs of the software.

Thanks for the input!

M
DDR3 798MHz RAM is going to slow things down quite a bit, even with 16 GB. Upgrade that RAM to DDR4 at 2400 MHz. You'll notice the difference.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
DDR3 798MHz RAM is going to slow things down quite a bit, even with 16 GB. Upgrade that RAM to DDR4 at 2400 MHz. You'll notice the difference.

Unfortunately with the stock Z230 MOBO, it's a lga 1150 and the ddr3 ram slots are not compatible with the ddr 4 sticks. We'd had a chance if
it were the lga 1151, but no luck for us unless we do like other here, and upgrade the whole PC.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Still running an older 3770k processor, upgraded the graphics to 1050ti, and 32 gb ram, 850 pro ssd.
The processor sometimes runs at 100 percent but only on large cases, the graphics card doesnt really effect the speed of the
software, as its mostly cpu bound.
32 gb of memory especially if you are running model builder , its a hog, ssd a must, fast writes are your friend.

Good info, Andy. What I'm thinking of doing, especially when I get a bigger case, is to open up Resource Monitor and see
what's maxing out.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Thank you, kristian :) So do you think doing to much design clicking and ticking on lager cases (in my case ~6unit fcz) can slow things down with the wax knife tools, compared to using more of the transformation and morphing tools?
Clicks do matter. I've seen memory usage go through the roof when less experienced designer mucks about with it even if the case itself isn't huge. I've seen a practice case that was 'designed' on a shiny new 7700K machine with 32Gb of ram failing to properly repeat steps and open for redesign on an older 16 Gb machine.

Processor single thread performance, total amount of memory (regardless of type or speed),SSD if local installation, network speed if client/server - that's about all that matters on hardware side of things. However, there's a lot of things that can sneak up on you on software side too and bog down otherwise acceptable hardware.

Last edited:
Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the stock Z230 MOBO, it's a lga 1150 and the ddr3 ram slots are not compatible with the ddr 4 sticks. We'd had a chance if
it were the lga 1151, but no luck for us unless we do like other here, and upgrade the whole PC.
Fair, but could still upgrade to much faster ddr3. Best case scenario is to build something new. Do not buy a pre-built PC if possible. If you're on a strict budget, try upgrading the memory. 798 MHz is so incredibly slow.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just bought a Samsung evo 850 for the our z230 and a 2tb hdd gonna install it to day and also just upgraded the ram a year ago to 32gb. I think after the ssd upgrade should be good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Fair, but could still upgrade to much faster ddr3. Best case scenario is to build something new. Do not buy a pre-built PC if possible. If you're on a strict budget, try upgrading the memory. 798 MHz is so incredibly slow.
I respectfully disagree with that. 3Shape has many bottlenecks that come in play long before memory speed would even enter the picture. Subpar utilization of processor, drive r/w, total amount of memory, all that reduce memory speed to a negligible variable. Going from an older computer that's built around DDR3 to a new one that's built around DDR4 can give you a speed boost, but it's mostly related to other things than memory speed.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with that. 3Shape has many bottlenecks that come in play long before memory speed would even enter the picture. Subpar utilization of processor, drive r/w, total amount of memory, all that reduce memory speed to a negligible variable. Going from an older computer that's built around DDR3 to a new one that's built around DDR4 can give you a speed boost, but it's mostly related to other things than memory speed.
I will agree, took our z230 and had a upper arch trios cases 14 units killed my memory 99.9% took it from 16 to 32gb and it sucked up 32gb as well. Came to conclusion that it was something in the case cause other cases barely utilize 30% or ram. It is good to have for running other programs with 3shape running. It it will never utilize all the parts if the of unless built to. If they can make it have the gpu do most of the rendering then we have a winner, but now in the newer releases I think They are understanding more.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Came to conclusion that it was something in the case cause other cases barely utilize 30% or ram. It is good to have for running other programs with 3shape running.
Clicks, maybe? In both the TRIOS scan (cleaning, smoothing, removing artifacts) and the bridge itself? The size of the scan files? On average, my TRIOS scans are 2-4 times as big as scans from D2000 or D900.

Or maybe it's just bugs :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Clicks, maybe? In both the TRIOS scan (cleaning, smoothing, removing artifacts) and the bridge itself? The size of the scan files? On average, my TRIOS scans are 2-4 times as big as scans from D2000 or D900.

Or maybe it's just bugs :)
Tri9s 3 color with shade, so the only thing missing was the cherry on top. Everything was fine up tij the margin connecting then **** went haywire! All sliders were off and barely got into clicks on the case.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I don't know 3Shape well, so you very well could be correct. I'm just looking at things from a purely PC hardware point of view. I can tell for certain that Dental Wings eats memory like no other.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't know 3Shape well, so you very well could be correct. I'm just looking at things from a purely PC hardware point of view. I can tell for certain that Dental Wings eats memory like no other.
That is because they built the software to utilize Ram more.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just bought a Samsung evo 850 for the our z230 and a 2tb hdd gonna install it to day and also just upgraded the ram a year ago to 32gb. I think after the ssd upgrade should be good.

That's what was on my mind this morning, Kingston or Crucial Ram upgrade to 32gb, and a SSD drive. A "minimal" investment for now, to gain more
performance without investing in a completely new build, until I have to.

The onboard i7 4790 does go from 3.6 - 4.0ghz so that's not to bad. I guess I could get the k version of 4.0 - 4.4ghz with it being overclockable for ~ $360.00 But then I'd be thinking of upgrading the graphics card...lol, and here we go $$$. So for now I'll consider ram and ssd :)

Last edited:
kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I tried to do auto-redesign on a 12-unit (singles) full contour case with 3000 clicks on it (added some extras just for extra complexity) on some of my machines. Client/server over Gigabit LAN, separate application/db and fileservers. Timing until ready to hit "Close". All other programs/unnecessary services closed and stopped.

• Win 10 Pro 7700K 32Gb DDR4 GTX1070 M.2: 10 minutes 5 seconds.
  • Win 10 Pro 7700K 16Gb DDR4 GTX1070 M.2: 10 minutes 13 seconds
  • Win 10 Pro i7-6700 16 Gb DDR4 GTX970 SATA SSD: 10 minutes 32 seconds.
  • Win 7 Pro i7-4790 16 Gb DDR4 GTX970 SATA SSD: 10 minutes 22 seconds.
  • Win 7 Pro i7-2600 16 Gb (DDR3) GT630 Mechanical HD (6+ year old retired scan computer): 11 minutes 6 seconds
  • Win 7 Pro i3-2120, 4 Gb DDR3, Intel Integrated Graphics, Mechanical HD (5+ yo office desktop): 32 minutes 59 seconds + crash (surviving past anatomy design, dying while finalizing)

CPU stays at 15-20% utilization throughout, memory usage peaking at about 50%, on 16 Gb machines. Not a lot of difference, which would be expected as it's not fully using the resources it has.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Winner for the research, kristian. I think before I do anything, I need to run resource monitor with some of my designs,
and see what I'm really using, before I do any upgrading. Like you say, it's not totally utilizing the ram and cpu, maxing
them out with what you did. Interesting.

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
That's what was on my mind this morning, Kingston or Crucial Ram upgrade to 32gb, and a SSD drive. A "minimal" investment for now, to gain more
performance without investing in a completely new build, until I have to.

The onboard i7 4790 does go from 3.6 - 4.0ghz so that's not to bad. I guess I could get the k version of 4.0 - 4.4ghz with it being overclockable for ~ $360.00 But then I'd be thinking of upgrading the graphics card...lol, and here we go $$$. So for now I'll consider ram and ssd :)
**** at that point just build a new one. Lol