Shade help

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I received a case in with a shade from Lumineer shade guide it is "I" I sure wish the Dr sent the guide but he did not have one. Patient told this Dr that the prior office used this guide.

Its a really white shade from the pictures but I would like confirmation to what OM shade it best hits.

Thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It's a Denstply shade, but the problem is they had 8 shades of "i". i-1 to i-8. It's Dentsply's attempt at a bleaching shade guide.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
John, as Rob said its a Dentsply "illumine" cercon ceram shade I1-I8. I1 being the darkest and lighter than B1, I8 being the lighest and approaches blue!!!!!
Provide an "I" numerical value and I convert it for you.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Screw the patients memory. Just ask them to give you a new shade using whatever guide they have. I smell a remake.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Mark, if the shade value is in the high end ie: I5- I8 to the best of my knowledge there is no other shade tab that'll come close. Vita has 3 bleached shades, Ivoclar has 4. With an illumine shade you'll find that you'd have to use un shaded Zr cores to match the shade guide. There is also a possibility that the shade is from another shade system.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks guys I misread the email it does say i-1 but it most certainly looks lighter than B1

What cha think, aside from the ugly other restorations :)?

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_I1.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_I1.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
John, its def a higher value than B1. I'll post a pic later when I get to the office.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, if the shade value is in the high end ie: I5- I8 to the best of my knowledge there is no other shade tab that'll come close. .

I get it. I'm just saying, I never trust a patient telling what shade to use to match other restorations, because, as we know, even if the prescribed shade was used, that may not be what ended up in their mouth, and discolored resin etc, can change that shade, or change it over time.

I always prefer a shade taken right there, right now, off what is actually in the mouth.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
No incisal material was used on those pearl's.

al6spap

al6spap

Reaction score
Sorry for the irrelevant comment....but thats a really ugly-unnatural restoration! I really cant understand what people(patients) like from these dead-white restorations...

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I get it. I'm just saying, I never trust a patient telling what shade to use to match other restorations, because, as we know, even if the prescribed shade was used, that may not be what ended up in their mouth, and discolored resin etc, can change that shade, or change it over time.

I always prefer a shade taken right there, right now, off what is actually in the mouth.

Glad to see you back and swinging. I was just a futile attempt to explain that the doc probably doesnt have any thing close, there arent any other guides like it.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
If i didnt know better id say they were CEREC crowns milled in a dentine block with no cut back or staining..yuk.

maybe this is what the patient wanted, you get some loons around :loco:

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Here are the photos as promised.

B1vsI1cropped-1.jpg

B1 vs I1 color

B1vsI1BWcropped.jpg

B1 vs I1 BW

BvsI1cropped2.jpg

B1 vs I1.2 Color

BvsI12BWcropped-1.jpg

B1 vs I1.2 BW

illumineSGcropped.jpg

illumine Guide

B1vsillumine1.jpg

B1 vs I1 and Guide

B1vsI8.jpg

B1 vs I8 and Guide

OM3vsI1cropped.jpg

OM3 vs I1

OM3vsI1BWcropped.jpg

OM# vs I1 BW

Looks like the shade has to be between 1M1 and OM3, but I dont have on my glass eyes today.

@Rob,,,,DITTO!!!! that, and behind it a chalk white coping.

Last edited:
lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Any one around there have a Dentsply BL2? I understand that is a popular bleach
shade, but the problem still remains what ceramics to stack to create that
same effect.
LCM

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Is it a Dentsply BL2 or a PW2, which is their Portrait White; Hollywood White. Or is it a composite shade? They probably offer it in their new IC kits

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks Troy for the time you spend putting that together it will help a ton. I searched the wreckage I call the storage room and actually found this guide that I must of picked up at lab day. Anyhow you are dead on balls right its lighter than 1M1 but darker than 0M3. Now the bigger problem making it look as dead as the other crap in the mouth, and Oh yeah,make it emerge from the defect in the arch with out making it look to over contoured :)

FUN FUN FUN

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
John, its always a pleasure to help out, especially when its someone like you. Like you said fun, Fun, FUN! Been there done that. I find it hard to believe people spend good money to look like that. I'd use a white core and very little incisal.

Last edited:
Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Thanks Troy for the time you spend putting that together it will help a ton. I searched the wreckage I call the storage room and actually found this guide that I must of picked up at lab day. Anyhow you are dead on balls right its lighter than 1M1 but darker than 0M3. Now the bigger problem making it look as dead as the other crap in the mouth, and Oh yeah,make it emerge from the defect in the arch with out making it look to over contoured :)

FUN FUN FUN

American Standard ...... chisel a chunk out of the urinal and it'll be bang on!!

however, i find that those previous photos entered into Photoshop and hit 'desaturate' with convert it to black and white. crop a section to layer onto other guides to give you the closest value of white shade. This technique has bailed me out several times. Like Mark said.....never take the patient's word for shade.

Good Luck !!!

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I misread the email it does say i-1 but it most certainly looks lighter than B1

What cha think, aside from the ugly other restorations :)?

no way to ever know without a shade tab in the pic for a reference...

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Can anyone post a few comparison pics of the i1 guide? maybe to the ivoclar BL1-BL4.

I just got an i1 shade in and need some sort of reference.

John was the anterior photo you posted an i1?

Thanks

Top Bottom