send a stl file to Strauman

C

chohk246

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need to send implant scan body scan file to Straumann to make a custom abutment but when I tried to convert dcm to stl file on 3shape dental system it only
converted upper and lower, no bite scan and scan body scan and Straumann, they want the upper, lower, scan body and bite scan with stl file so does anyone knows how to do that?
And I also called Straumann tech support but they don't know how to do it.
Help me

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
The way I know is a little janky, but give it a try. 3Shape is mainly looking at file names, not what the scan actually is, so create a dummy order, scan something in, replace the scan files with the files you want converted. You must do this correctly for it to work. I'm going to give you a step by step, but may still be confusing, feel free to ask questions.

1. Create new order and scan some generic models just to get through the scan phase and populate the folders
2. Right click and navigate to "advanced" "explore order" on both your new generic order and the order that you need to convert scans for
3. Open the "AuxScanDir" on the order that you need to convert scans to .stl
4. Open an additional file explorer window to an empty folder, I would recommend just creating one on your desktop
5. Ensure that you don't get the 3 folders you have open mixed up
6. Copy the files from the auxscandir that you need to convert to the new empty folder
7. Open either the "upper" or "lower" folder of your generic scan
8. Copy the name of the file within that folder (depending on which you open and your setup, there may be two files within the folder, do this one at a time)
9. Go to one of the files that you previously copied and rename it with the file name you just copied
10. Copy and paste your renamed file into the folder that you copied the name from
11. You will be prompted that there is another file in the folder with the same name, select "replace existing file"
12. Repeat this process until you have renamed and pasted all files needing to be converted
13. There is a small chance that you will also need to do this with the "AuxScanDir" of your new folder as well, if you do, ensure that the scans renamed and placed match the files in the upper/lower folders. I would skip this step on your first attempt, I just wanted to let you know that it could be a factor.
14. Once all files have been switched close your folders, go to your generic case that you pasted all the files into. Right click go to "advanced" and "export scan" switch to stl. and export, it should export the files you are trying to convert into an stl. f you did everything correctly

As mentioned in 13, I'm not certain if 3Shape uses the auxscandir at all when exporting scans, if it does you will have to replace the appropriate files in there as well.

Hopefully this helps!

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
edit: had some bad info in my post cause I misunderstood something, please ignore
Edit 2: adding some info back in after grilling my boss some

From what we've seen, Straumann only needs the upper and lower stls. So long as the scan has the scanbody in it, the bite itself is included in the upper/lower scans. Like their relative position is hard coded into the STLs. I think you should harass Straumann more. Or just submit your order for a custom abutment with the upper/lower scans (whichever arch it is with the scanbody seated) and they'll holler at you if they need more.

Last edited:
M

mmbh

Reaction score
Submit to them all the time. I just save scanbody scan and opposing as stl in my exocad and upload both files. No need for extra bite scan. It is encoded already. Same process from our 3shape trios scans and inlab cerec connect. If I'm scanning and sending I use Exocad, its my main.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I would definitely go with what HonestAbe and mmbh said over what I said. But, if you do need to ever convert something that doesn't have a streamlined process, what I said should work.

M

mtnjo

Reaction score
Thanks! Just browsing for this info and found you!