Semi- Precious

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for semi-precious metal for crown n bridge. I've been using Euro from Argen forever. But am now looking for something less expensive for a new client .

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I liked Superior by Jensen. If they have a gold fetish there is also Superior Plus with 1% gold.

Superior is 50%palladium, 25%silver. And was about $800/oz when I last used it in 2015.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It depends on how much silver your porc can handle without greening, also as you know, the cte range of your porc.

I'm using Jensen Stability which is expensive due to the high Pd and 2% Au. It, the market, is @ about 1400. and 1475. per ounce.
I'll probably try Superior which is cheaper due to the higher silver, lower Pd and no Au content until the market calms down. Maybe I'll even stick with it?

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I liked Superior by Jensen. If they have a gold fetish there is also Superior Plus with 1% gold.
Superior is 50%palladium, 25%silver. And was about $800/oz when I last used it in 2015.
I am sure this alloy is out of reach, today, with the palladium quoting higher than Gold on the markets... Some high gold alloys are cheaper than alloys with palladium mixed in! I use Evolution lite, which pretty much doubled in cost over the last three years... But since I charge per .dwt, with a mark up, I dont really care...

My Argen rep mentioned an alloy they invented to counter the high gold price. Don't remember the name, though. (Alloy, not the rep's name... :cool:)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I am sure this alloy is out of reach, today, with the palladium quoting higher than Gold on the markets... Some high gold alloys are cheaper than alloys with palladium mixed in! I use Evolution lite, which pretty much doubled in cost over the last three years... But since I charge per .dwt, with a mark up, I dont really care...

My Argen rep mentioned an alloy they invented to counter the high gold price. Don't remember the name, though. (Alloy, not the rep's name... :cool:)
I used Evolution Lite also.. Kissen cousin the Argen Euro 40.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I used Evolution Lite also.. Kissen cousin the Argen Euro 40.
As 'Car' says, depending on your porcelain you have different options. in other words, make sure the CTE's match up. High silver alloys are usually a bit mote problematic (discoloration). As are high palladium ones, due to the intense oxide layer (but due to high cost of palladium that weeded itself out pretty much). So, that actually narrows down your options. Either you go NP or stick to a 'low cost' high noble, like Evo lite.

PS, I never thought I would say that: Thankfully we have Zirconium today...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Had not kept track of the metal prices. Thanks. Guess it's time to turn in the scrap I have from floor sweeping before I started my own.

Just gotta get all the pine needles and such out of it.

Boss was real nice about that. If it went in the floor and got swept up, it was mine.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We use Argen also and have switched to their new Platinum Plus. Nice alloy and great pricing. Pay attention to the firing programs to get good results. 20% Platinum, 5.7% Ruthenium, 43.5% Cobalt, 29.3% Chromium.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Pay attention, in what way?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
You need to set a new programs for degassing and opaquing. When we got the alloy we had no tech sheet with it and ran our normal programs. This alloy runs at a slightly higher temp to get a good oxide layer. If run to low it has a very dark oxide.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, rlhhds :) and strap yourself in, it's supposed to get cold for us here next week.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
You need to set a new programs for degassing and opaquing. When we got the alloy we had no tech sheet with it and ran our normal programs. This alloy runs at a slightly higher temp to get a good oxide layer. If run to low it has a very dark oxide.
Any discoloration or margin creep ?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I am trying the Argen Platinum Plus. 4th attempt was a charm.. What I learned along the way.
pre heat crucible
1/4 to 1/2 inch inner torch cones
keep flame 1 1/2 inch away
use an 8g sprue
try not to remove flame from metal while melting.
ingots will not flow into one ball, more like casting Rex 3.. cast after it slumps like a jelly bean ,,If the metal rolls in the crucible its to hot.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
all my clients who were using semiprecious now use cocr its just as good and a fraction of the cost.

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Difficult to cast, and obtain proper oxide, porcelain cracking problem, went back to argen noble crown nf no problems

doug

doug

Reaction score
I use Argen and use their SLM platinum + alloy. I've grown very fond of not investing and casting.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
In the last year I've used these alloys from Argen due to the rising price of palladium.
Argelite 75+6
Argelite 61+3
Argelite 60+
Argedent Bio 720pf (72 Au, 13.9 Pt, 10.5 Ag)

I'm curious if Argen or its competitors will now be producing more platinum based pfm alloys?