Selecting a zirconium sintering oven

V

Vice_James

Reaction score
I outsource some non-dental zirconia parts that are around 14x14x18mm. It makes business sense for me to bring these parts in-house.

I've acquired a 5-axis mill to machine these parts from the standard circular pucks. Now I need to select an oven to sinter the pucks.

My budget is small, and my willingness to do R&D is high. So I'm really looking for a used oven - maybe something that was a standard "workhorse" model from a few years ago.

Have any advice or recommendations?

Can you recommend a sintering oven for someone like me?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I outsource some non-dental zirconia parts that are around 14x14x18mm. It makes business sense for me to bring these parts in-house.

I've acquired a 5-axis mill to machine these parts from the standard circular pucks. Now I need to select an oven to sinter the pucks.

My budget is small, and my willingness to do R&D is high. So I'm really looking for a used oven - maybe something that was a standard "workhorse" model from a few years ago.

First thing you need to know is what temperatures, temperature climb rates, holding times, and cooling times your material needs. Our furnaces are topping out at around 1550C.

One other issue you may have to deal with is the variability of the heat map inside the chamber. With most of our stuff being around a cubic centimeter, aside from bridges which need extra support for this exact reason, the entire object will receive roughly homogeneous temperature and therefore shrink at the same rate.

And you have my curiosity antennae raised. Can you say what are you making? R/C turbojets? Stock cars for chipmunks?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score

Call me @Vice_James ( 626) 641-0856 - I sell a budget friendly oven.

V

Vice_James

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply, JMN. I'll be starting with standard dental zirconia pucks - stuff with a known sintering profile. This is just to get things off the ground. Once I understand the process in detail, I'll experiment with materials a bit more.

I wish I could say more about what I'm making, but it's not possible right now. It's nothing mind blowing - just some small, precision parts that need (relatively) high temperature resistance. About a week ago, I realized that it could be zirconium instead of the material I'm currently using, and that the dental market was doing almost exactly the thing that I needed.

If it's not against forum rules, would folks be willing to throw out some model numbers that might work, or that are well-regarded? I'm OK with tinkering/process development and doing R&D that might not make sense in a real dental lab.

user name

user name

Reaction score
What are you making? Im guessing gun parts or trying to get the old UFO back up and running so you can get out of here before Armageddon.

Strengths differ greatly. ( mine is Awesomeness)

If this is DARPA or black project related, PM me. We can set up a secure connection

Last edited:
V

Vice_James

Reaction score
Definitely not manufacturing anything firearm related. I do optomechanical prototyping for a living - this is a small part of a much larger machine that needs some temperature resistance. Material strength is not an issue for me. Finding an oven is! :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Definitely not manufacturing anything firearm related. I do optomechanical prototyping for a living - this is a small part of a much larger machine that needs some temperature resistance. Material strength is not an issue for me. Finding an oven is! :)
Clued a bit now. Very fascinating field. Just read the biography of Gould and enjoy radios.

You have a *very* fun job.

As long as you have the temp specs, most brands of furnaces have been good to those who've discussed them here. All furnaces will require some location related adjustment (Elevation/humidity) after getting them and you'll want to check the elements for cracks if they come in a used oven. Expect to replace them and the thermocouple occasionally.

You might find that a dentist office nearby has one sitting around that they bought planning to do same day work until finding out that it's actually work. Can't hurt to ask them and I'm sure they wouldn't mind having it off their tax bill.

Comb through and watch out Classifieds section here https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/forums/classifieds.8/ as well.

No real brand name stinkers to avoid with amazingly poor quality control.

user name

user name

Reaction score
How much are you going to use it?

Consider outsourcing?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'd get a cheapo one like this, no need to pay for "dental" markup Ciao