Secondary superstructure locator design

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just wanted some input from my fellow technicians, regarding designing a secondary superstructure for an upper removable denture.
It has 4 locators on an existing bar which the dentist has asked to be supported into the secondary bar, and he would like the secondary part to also sit on the bar for extra support.

I have designed it in 3shape removable.
I have covered the bar with .03 of spacer and put 1mm spacer around each locator housing.
My question is how are you processing the housings into the secondary part, do i open the top secondary part around each locator and blockout underneath so when processing it
it captures the housings this way, or do i leave it closed and lute each one separately inside the secondary part.???

Video of design.....
Any input would be appreciated!!:)

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Hi.
.03 gap around the bar is OK, though i use 0.05 - 0.1. I think 1mm aroun the caps are too much.
Open a thin (1.2mm bur) hole on the top of the secondary's housing on each locator as you said, sandblast cap and housing, lubricate generously the parts not involved and lute all together, not separately, on the bar.
Good Luck!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    545 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.png
    2.png
    924.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.png
    3.png
    872.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 14
Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
.03 even 0.1
How can you achieve friction fit??
What about the lifespan of the locator if all pressure are apply on them??
I don't get it, better to cast it at this point no?

The idea of always wanting to mill every single things in-house, I will never understand this urge to do that instead of using outsource service that will offer a more accurate solution.

Honestly good luck, when you might get tired of having complication we are few milling center that offer a much more simpler solution, just to say.

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Ha i would not even attempt to mill the secondary bar , or even the first bar, i leave that to the big boys.
I just stick with Zirconia!
This is really a one off on an old nobel bar from 15 years ago.

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Hi.
.03 gap around the bar is OK, though i use 0.05 - 0.1. I think 1mm aroun the caps are too much.
Open a thin (1.2mm bur) hole on the top of the secondary's housing on each locator as you said, sandblast cap and housing, lubricate generously the parts not involved and lute all together, not separately, on the bar.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the tips!!!

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
.03 even 0.1
How can you achieve friction fit??
What about the lifespan of the locator if all pressure are apply on them??
I don't get it, better to cast it at this point no?

The idea of always wanting to mill every single things in-house, I will never understand this urge to do that instead of using outsource service that will offer a more accurate solution.

Honestly good luck, when you might get tired of having complication we are few milling center that offer a much more simpler solution, just to say.
Case was fine, thanks. Better than any cast, for sure. Good luck.