Searching for .stl files

D

Denta Primt

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new on this forum, I’m from the Netherlands and I am starting my own lab soon. I want to use the newest tech for my lab so I’m focusing pure on digital dentistry.

for this to happen, I am searching for a .stl file of a bar (for a denture) and a upper and lower removable partial denture frame without molars or incicors.
This because I want to know if the machines that I want to buy are able to make these products.
I hope someone can help me with my search.
Thank you in advance!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
From a donated STL you wont be able to tell if those machines are accurate enough for your needs. Create your own designs from a known reference (master model) instead.

D

Denta Primt

Reaction score
From a donated STL you wont be able to tell if those machines are accurate enough for your needs. Create your own designs from a known reference (master model) instead.
Could you tell me why this is? The accuracy of the printer i want is 10 micron. So it’s fair to say it’s very accurate.

so according to you, I should first buy a software before I know what printer I can buy?
what would you use?
Since I am based in Europe 3shape sounds like a logical choice. But I don’t like the way it needs to render with every step you take. What would you choice be?

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
And be sure that the when you make the designs the correct settings are used- if the equipment manufacturer has a DME or settings for their equipment it is important to use them.

D

Denta Primt

Reaction score
I’ll be printing a bio compatible material of medical grade.

what I don’t get is why would a donated stl file won’t cut it. Where I work, we dont design bars and rpd’s.
so I do not have a master model to go from. I am starting from scratch.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Could you tell me why this is? The accuracy of the printer i want is 10 micron. So it’s fair to say it’s very accurate.

so according to you, I should first buy a software before I know what printer I can buy?
what would you use?
Since I am based in Europe 3shape sounds like a logical choice. But I don’t like the way it needs to render with every step you take. What would you choice be?
there are 4 components to digital dentistry

1. scanner - you must turn stone models or patient mouths into 3d files

2. CAD - you must use 3d files to create 3d files of missing teeth

3. CAM - you must use a software to either create machine toolpaths to cut your piece from a block or you must slice your object into layers for printing

4. manufacturing - based on your CAM, what machine will be used to manufacture your object.

if you buy 3shape, you buy 1+2 together. this is fine if you recognize you still need to get 3, 4 somewhere or somehow.

there is a certain skill to all 4 components, because none of them is so simple that you just press a button and you receive your output. every step requires precision and practice and skill to get the best for your patient. i can send you a bar but if you don't have amodel to place the bar on, once its printed, how will you know how well your printer worked?

secondarily, if you didn't design the bar how will you be able to ensure you do the same design in the future?

you must then, either buy all the 1,2,3,4 separately and force them to work together using your own workflow, or you may purchase a system that comprises all the components ready to use; for example zirkonzahn or amann girrbach. these are full systems.

with all that said, 3shape data density is still 20um, even though their scanner claims to be capable of less you will never see it. not in the scan, and certainly not in the final file.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

what would you use?
You'll need software no matter what, also you have to have an accurate scanner if you want to compare samples you receive form a random STL.
It is irrelevant what my choices would be, do your research based on your projected workflow and digital aptitude... then go from there.

D

Denta Primt

Reaction score
This is great info! Thank you guys! I’ll do some more research.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score

what would you use?

Its never as simple as "10 micron accurate". Original STL files compared to 3D scanned printed models, or parts, will give you the percentage the surface is within a range, for example 95% within 100 microns.

There are no 3D printers 90%+ within 10 microns, yet...

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score

what would you use?

Also keep in mind that layer thickness is not always indicative of overall quality and accuracy of the printer, how all the steps mentioned above work in tandem, packing, pixelization, and other factors lead to "quality". Also how the printers work is a big factor. The more variables that go into printing the more chance for errors and distortion or degradation of quality.